Help with theory!

• Thread starter epic507
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

epic507

Reaction score
Hey all! Just got my new Agile Interceptor Pro 727 which I will have pics of soon. Been too busy playing it to post pics. But I just wrote a song on it and I have questions of what scale or mode I'm using. I'm new to music theory so I just want to know if this is right. I'm playing a D# scale with a sharpened 6th. What is that? I can't find any modes that match that? Please help. :scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Hey all! Just got my new Agile Interceptor Pro 727 which I will have pics of soon. Been too busy playing it to post pics. But I just wrote a song on it and I have questions of what scale or mode I'm using. I'm new to music theory so I just want to know if this is right. I'm playing a D# scale with a sharpened 6th. What is that? I can't find any modes that match that? Please help. :scream:

So, your scale is D# E# Fx G# A# B#x Cx?
Looks better on Eb: Eb F G Ab Bb C# D

I'd call it D# (or Eb) major #6. Starting from Cx (or D), it's Cx/D locrian #7, which seems like it might have a name somewhere.

It could also be that you are using notes that are not in the scale, or that the B#x/C# is really C#/Db, the b7, and that the sixth is still in there somewhere.

This thread is probably going to get moved in a while.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
This belongs in the Music Theory & Lessons section, but kudos on you for taking the time to learn what it is you're playing! Theory rocks! :) And just for the record, anything SchecterWhore ever tells you is absolutely right and unquestionable, he is the theory Yoda of SS.org, so read carefully and learn :)

epic507

Reaction score
What does the "x" on the end of the F and B# and C mean? Like I said I'm pretty new to this. Thanks a ton!

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
A double sharp: the note's sharpened by a whole tone.:)

Yep, # = sharp, x = double sharp, #x = triple sharp, xx = quardruple sharp.

This belongs in the Music Theory & Lessons section, but kudos on you for taking the time to learn what it is you're playing! Theory rocks! :) And just for the record, anything SchecterWhore ever tells you is absolutely right and unquestionable, he is the theory Yoda of SS.org, so read carefully and learn :)

Believe it or not, I know somebody who kicks my ass when it comes to understanding theory. I mean, there's no question. I'm not entirely infallible, I just sound that way sometimes. :lol:

Anyway, I was thinking, and you might have a bebop scale going on there. Bebop musicians use an eight-note scale to play over certain chords, adding a note to serve a function within the context of the harmony. In this case, the scale is
1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 7, and is referred to as "bebop dominant" by some musicians. It's used over a dominant chord, 1 3 5 b7, (as the name suggests), and the raised seventh acts as a leading tone to the root of the dominant chord.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Yep, # = sharp, x = double sharp, #x = triple sharp, xx = quardruple sharp.

Believe it or not, I know somebody who kicks my ass when it comes to understanding theory. I mean, there's no question. I'm not entirely infallible, I just sound that way sometimes. :lol:

Anyway, I was thinking, and you might have a bebop scale going on there. Bebop musicians use an eight-note scale to play over certain chords, adding a note to serve a function within the context of the harmony. In this case, the scale is
1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 7, and is referred to as "bebop dominant" by some musicians. It's used over a dominant chord, 1 3 5 b7, (as the name suggests), and the raised seventh acts as a leading tone to the root of the dominant chord.

So, is the bebop scale a major scale with an added minor 7th?

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
So, is the bebop scale a major scale with an added minor 7th?

Well, the bebop scales are a family of scales that are usually derived from modes of the major scale. The one we're talking about here is the bebop dominant scale, which is a mixolydian scale with an added major seventh. It's the same formula as major + b7, but as we are thinking of it in terms of a dominant chord, the b7 is diatonic, and the ∆7 is the added note.

Here are some other bebop scales:

Bebop major - 1 2 3 4 5 #5/b6 6 7
Bebop dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 7
Bebop locrian ♮2 - 1 2 b3 4 b5 6 b7 7

I know that the bebop major, dominant, are correct, but I snagged the dorian and locrian example from the Guitar Grimoire, and if you've ever talked to me about the Guitar Grimoire book on scales and modes, you'll know that I don't like it. You'll see on Wikipedia's page on bebop scales that they are not in agreement with the Grimoire's definition of bebop dorian: Bebop scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

')