Help with vocals.

• Thread starter HellsFallenHero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HellsFallenHero

Reaction score
Hi. I recently started recording my vocals (screaming) for my bands EP.

And.. It sounds bad. Like, the lows are fine. But the highs are just awful.

I've heard myself live, and I sound really good. I've put a camera outside my bedroom (door closed) and screamed. And it sounds good. But why does it sound like utter crap when I attempt to record it?

I'm using a Sm58 into a Toneport UX2. REAPER as a DAW, and Podfarm preamps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
my band had the same problem with our last singer
it could be that the pressure isn't on like it is in a live setting
it could be a bad day vocal wise, it could be numerous things

PhilC

Reaction score
Hi. I recently started recording my vocals (screaming) for my bands EP.

And.. It sounds bad. Like, the lows are fine. But the highs are just awful.

I've heard myself live, and I sound really good. I've put a camera outside my bedroom (door closed) and screamed. And it sounds good. But why does it sound like utter crap when I attempt to record it?

I'm using a Sm58 into a Toneport UX2. REAPER as a DAW, and Podfarm preamps.

sounds like it could be a bad vocal day. Happens all the time. but ...

I know you won't like hearing this, if you have only heard yourself in a live setting ( guitars raging, drums, noise ) and a recording from a camera outside your room (lol what ? ) then you probably haven't really heard what you actually sound like before. The mics don't lie, they can color sound, add flattering aspects but they record reality.

if it sounds good live mix, then try mixing a whole song and adding vocals. see if that sounds better. If not, keep recording yourself and listening to it over and over and try to improve.

HellsFallenHero

Reaction score
sounds like it could be a bad vocal day. Happens all the time. but ...

I know you won't like hearing this, if you have only heard yourself in a live setting ( guitars raging, drums, noise ) and a recording from a camera outside your room (lol what ? ) then you probably haven't really heard what you actually sound like before. The mics don't lie, they can color sound, add flattering aspects but they record reality.

if it sounds good live mix, then try mixing a whole song and adding vocals. see if that sounds better. If not, keep recording yourself and listening to it over and over and try to improve.

Haha, yeah. I put it outside of my room with the doors closed so the camera wouldn't clip. I do it for vocal practice to see what I need to improve on.

And sounds good. Thanks.

Latest posts

')