Hercules multi-guitar hanger question

• Thread starter NoodleFace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This will be sort of a stupid question, I promise.

I have one of those hercules guitar stands that holds two guitars by the headstock (only support).

I have a 1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom that weighs a good amount of weight. I'd like to leave it and my Bowes out of their cases and in the stand so I can just grab it to play, but I'm worried with the Les Paul weighing so much. If I had to guess it's somewhere between 10 and 15 pounds, I've never weighed it.

Should I have any concern hanging it by the headstock? Any difference if it is hanging for a long time without being played (months)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
I've heard guitars age worse in the case.... hanging should be better no?

Just don't put somewhere it'll get bonked or knocked over. Also no sunlight.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
just make sure the hanger is mounted in a stud behind your drywall

Plus I wouldn't be so sure hanging a Gibson by it's neck/headstock. I doubt it would break off outright but it wouldn't be pretty should it take one of those stereotypical tumbles to the floor that decapitates Gibson guitars.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Sorry, the hercules stand is a guitar stand on the ground, but it hangs the guitar solely by the headstock. Not a wall mount, too scared to do that!

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
I would strongly suggest a stand like this, I do not think it is very good to keep ANY guitar hanged by the headstock for long. Especially something fragile like gibson. btw I sold my hercules stand, the quality was so-so and the clipping mechanism on the headstock was also kinda weak.. It was not long enough to keep my ESP V guitar, I had to extend it to almost maximum position, which was very fragile too. For that crazy money the ask for their product I don't think it's a good deal. Just get any generic guitar rack for 3-5 guitars which will be rock solid and safe. I am using this stand now http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rockstand-by-warwick-5-guitar-folding-stand

GS525BMain.jpg

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
I've heard guitars age worse in the case.... hanging should be better no?
Well, most manufacturers (for ex. ESP) recommend to keep guitar in the case.
Storage
When not playing your guitar, keep it in its case. If you don’t own a case, we strongly recommend purchasing an ESP hardshell case or gig bag.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
All my guitars hang on my wall with Hercules wall hangers.
Everything from the RG8, to the SDGR 6 string bass... And my smaller 7 and 6ers... Holds no problem and its up and out of the way and on display.
1231151732_zpsx5yhgkk7.jpg

Winger

Reaction score
I own a Hercules Stands GS432B Tri Stand Guitar Stand. It works great, it is stable and does not fall over when you take one or two guitars out. I'm so happy with it , a Hercules Stands GS526B Guitar Rack with 6 Piece Folding... is on it's way. I went vertical because I thought these types of stands would take up less floor space. Do they? For me, yes. Prior to getting the Tri Stand all my guitars were in their cases or on individual guitar stands. Now, 2 cases and one stand are in storage, so there's definitely more free space. I put the one I have in a corner of the room so it's out of the way. I have read that sometimes these stands come without foam bits to protect your guitar. Not a big deal, just something you should be aware of.

laxu

Reaction score
Guitar stores have their guitars hanging on the wall all year round without issues. The only thing you need to worry on guitars that don't have a poly finish is that the stand material is something that reacts with the guitar's finish, possibly causing blemishes where they contact. The Hercules should be fine AFAIK.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Yeah I know guitar stores do it, but my LP is 40 years old and heavy as ..... I just picked it up and it might be 15 pounds or more. That was my concern.

Also my bowes has the 4+3 headstock, so it fits fine.

pahulkster

Reaction score
It is really unlikely your LP weighs that much. 10 is a heavy ass Les Paul. Not impossible but 12lb LPs are like bigfoot.

Only concern I would have with a Hercules stand and an LP would be finish issues. A cloth around the hanger foam will fix it. The stands even mention this issue in their paperwork.

')