Herniated Disc Issue

• Thread starter Jonathan20022
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a little reluctant to share this with anyone besides my parents since I don't just want a flurry of pity messages asking me to feel better.

I got into a car accident about a month ago, it didn't feel that bad until about an hour after. USPS truck made a forced U Turn at one of my neighborhoods ....ed up road stems, he didn't look to his left and rammed into my car. Had to replace both doors, my left side front and rear bumper were both botched, and I caught my left side drivers mirror in the middle of the crash which was hilarious. :lol:

Overall it was the USPS truck's fault, and everything got taken care of. But an hour after the accident, I felt a sharp pain in my arm and I went to a recommended Chiropractor.

Fast forward today, a couple treatments and an MRI. The Doctor tells me that inbetween my C5-C7 sections of my spine are showing signs similar to Herniated Discs. It was very frightening to hear that, I doesn't feel like a herniated disc, the nerve in that part of the spine is associated with the shoulder and that's where I'm feeling the pain which pinpointed the injury.

I'm not really depressed, just in a shit mood, my mother had 2 herniated discs 7 years ago when we lived in Texas and she was in a pretty bad state. Wondering if anyone here has suffered an injury like this and how they handled it. The Doctor said that on paper the injury is described as permanent where I could have better days than others, but in reality it might be able to be resolved and disappear. But he didn't want to get my hopes up yet since we just discovered it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a little reluctant to share this with anyone besides my parents since I don't just want a flurry of pity messages asking me to feel better.

I got into a car accident about a month ago, it didn't feel that bad until about an hour after. USPS truck made a forced U Turn at one of my neighborhoods ....ed up road stems, he didn't look to his left and rammed into my car. Had to replace both doors, my left side front and rear bumper were both botched, and I caught my left side drivers mirror in the middle of the crash which was hilarious. :lol:

Overall it was the USPS truck's fault, and everything got taken care of. But an hour after the accident, I felt a sharp pain in my arm and I went to a recommended Chiropractor.

Fast forward today, a couple treatments and an MRI. The Doctor tells me that inbetween my C5-C7 sections of my spine are showing signs similar to Herniated Discs. It was very frightening to hear that, I doesn't feel like a herniated disc, the nerve in that part of the spine is associated with the shoulder and that's where I'm feeling the pain which pinpointed the injury.

I'm not really depressed, just in a shit mood, my mother had 2 herniated discs 7 years ago when we lived in Texas and she was in a pretty bad state. Wondering if anyone here has suffered an injury like this and how they handled it. The Doctor said that on paper the injury is described as permanent where I could have better days than others, but in reality it might be able to be resolved and disappear. But he didn't want to get my hopes up yet since we just discovered it.

See a physiotherapist or someone in sports medicine. A very knowledgeable person in sports medicine. Often times surgery can be avoided for this. It will take time, but in the end you'll have better mobility (probably not 100% ever again, but you wouldn't get that with surgery either) and you won't have to go through the surgery.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm going to look in the area and see if I can find a professional in those fields. I don't really expect or want to go through surgery since it doesn't affect my mobility just a slight pain when I wake up right now. But that sounds encouraging to put a stop to any further injury from this.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I saw a Physiotherapist today, not very helpful but he asked me to get a shoulder MRI done which is happening this friday.

I found it hilarious when my consultation was happening, he got a phone call, basically ignored me and said it was an important call. I gave him some shit for it, saying I had to leave for work and I couldn't wait much longer.

Besides that he seemed to know what he was talking about, we did some tests and we're waiting on the MRI at this point.

Thankfully I haven't had much if any pain happening often in the neck area. I avoided playing guitar for a bit and doing any kind of deadlifting or training. Which sucks because I'm restricted to very light dumbells and cardio workouts for the time being. The pain comes back if I'm in a certain position, but it's very conditional, hoping for the best now!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah there's no worries on that end, everything is covered for me by on their dime. I have a lawyer and he's working on it right now, it's going to take longer since I'm dealing with the government but it seems I'm entitled to some form of compensation.

I'm more concerned with my neck and the long term effects it'll have on me and my physical abilities.

amogtr

Reaction score
I am in no way a medical professional, but my entire job is handling injury insurance claims & approving/directing medical care.

If you end up having some type of disc injury and are not surgical you would probably want to see what is called a PM&R (physical medicine & rehab) doctor. If you aren't having any radiculopathy currently that's a good sign. Even in there are herniated discs/bulges, the body can heal those without surgery and if you do an MRI of anyone over the age of 30 there will be some bulging.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
I am in no way a medical professional, but my entire job is handling injury insurance claims & approving/directing medical care.

If you end up having some type of disc injury and are not surgical you would probably want to see what is called a PM&R (physical medicine & rehab) doctor. If you aren't having any radiculopathy currently that's a good sign. Even in there are herniated discs/bulges, the body can heal those without surgery and if you do an MRI of anyone over the age of 30 there will be some bulging.

I second this notion.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I have had multiple back surgeries, been hooked on all the pain meds....it is not a fun route. I still take pain meds but no longer dependant on them....I detoxed and now only use on extreme pain days which are very rare anymore at all.

First thing I am going to tell you is very important. DO NOT have any surgery done to your back unless you feel you absolutely have no choice, for example your way of life is being changed in such a manner that you have no choice after all else has failed.

There are a bunch of sh!t physical therapy companies out there who will have you doing nothing but sitting on a ball and then laying on a table and giving you "TENS" therapy. TENS therapy works but is only fleeting relief. You must find a GOOD physical therapist this is paramount! Also get in the habit of making your stretching and PT routines a part of your everyday tasks. Your injury while serious, can be managed with proper stretching and Physical Therapy. It can be managed so well in fact that it will more than likely allow you to go on with your everyday life without knowing anything was ever wrong.

They will try and tell you you NEED the surgery....please do not do it. If there is one thing I know it's that there is no such thing as 'One" back surgery.....you will be back for others after they cut you the first time.

Also if they give you narcotic pain meds....try and NEVER take them if possible......While I know their is a difference between addiction and dependency, at the end of the day...you are caught in the web and it can ruin your life.

Good luck and take care of yourself man. ;)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

What do you mean by bulging? I didn't understand that part, but I currently have had two MRI's, a cervical and a shoulder MRI for each doctor to check out.

I have had multiple back surgeries, been hooked on all the pain meds....it is not a fun route. I still take pain meds but no longer dependant on them....I detoxed and now only use on extreme pain days which are very rare anymore at all.

First thing I am going to tell you is very important. DO NOT have any surgery done to your back unless you feel you absolutely have no choice, for example your way of life is being changed in such a manner that you have no choice after all else has failed.

There are a bunch of sh!t physical therapy companies out there who will have you doing nothing but sitting on a ball and then laying on a table and giving you "TENS" therapy. TENS therapy works but is only fleeting relief. You must find a GOOD physical therapist this is paramount! Also get in the habit of making your stretching and PT routines a part of your everyday tasks. Your injury while serious, can be managed with proper stretching and Physical Therapy. It can be managed so well in fact that it will more than likely allow you to go on with your everyday life without knowing anything was ever wrong.

They will try and tell you you NEED the surgery....please do not do it. If there is one thing I know it's that there is no such thing as 'One" back surgery.....you will be back for others after they cut you the first time.

Also if they give you narcotic pain meds....try and NEVER take them if possible......While I know their is a difference between addiction and dependency, at the end of the day...you are caught in the web and it can ruin your life.

Good luck and take care of yourself man. ;)

Thanks so much for the advice man, my Chiropractor was very honest with me and said that he hopes I don't go through surgery because it is not necessary at all. He said that time and doing my stretches/therapy will fix this with time.

He also said that on paper this is seen as a permanent injury so it helps my case, but it's not in reality. He's seen people recover especially people in my age range (21) very quickly. I haven't been prescribed meds yet but I'll be mindful of that moving forward.

')