Hey Noodles! and other Dean EVO 7 owners..

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How would you compare this 7 to an actual les paul in terms of neck size and playability? Curious as to how it compares with the real deal lol

Mahogany body with maple cap, right? It's randomly on the list as a possible next 7..

if i get a 7.. :scream:

thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Enormous neck, pretty wide frets, but it's pretty damn comfortable. Even Drew liked it for the few minutes he played with it, and his main is an Ibby Universe. Mine is pretty lightweight for what you'd expect. Upper fret access is slightly tricky (the heel is comfy, but there's not much space in the cutaway) as it's no RG, but it's not terrible.

Mahogany body, maple cap. The amber sunburst ones are usually pretty stunning in terms of the figure of the top.... the figure is probably a veneer (dunno for certain) but it is over a full-sized carved cap.

Best of all, if you can find one, it's pretty cheap. I got mine as a special Evilbay sale from Daddy's Junky Music for $75, as it looked like someone had just had it refretted (with some issues) and they had stripped it of all hardware. Some good fret-hammer whacks and filing and she plays great... just needs a different bridge pickup than the one I put in already.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
i can't say i was terribly impressed with the EVO i played... everything you hear about the necks on those is true. it really is the widest 7 string neck you'll come across :eek:.

i guess it is the closest thing to a real LP in a seven, but it still really didn't hold up IMO. maybe it's the fact that the neck on the one i played was twisted like a pretzel beyond repair that didn't leave me with a good impression. i'm sure like any other cheap imports, they are hit or miss.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't like the way the neck feels, i've never played one but i'd like to. :yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually sold Dave his, they play pretty nicely and capture the Les Paul vibe in a seven string. The stock pups aren't great, but overall given what they typically go for they're nice guitars.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.

i probably wouldnt leave the pickups stock hehe

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i love mine. it 100% fills the void left when i gave my brother my first guitar, which was a LP copy Hohner.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If only there was a way for me to play one *sigh*

it all depends on neck carve lol

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i'd say that there might be slightly less fret access than your Blackjack... Eric! he's played my Dean, and owns a Blackjack, he might be helpful here.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
not so much fret access but the neck carve itself. i want the closest thing in comfort to my gibson LP studio that i can find, pretty much.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was in a shop the other day that had one of the copper-top Les Paul Studios... i picked it up off the stand and nearly fell over. Heaviest guitar i'd ever picked up.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol:

the weight of mine doesnt bug me at all :)... yet.. :lol:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It was frickin' hot looking, too. All black, unmarked ebony board, copper top body. Purty. But a real back-breaker. I guess the "Studio" models are meant to be played sitting down. :D

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
It was frickin' hot looking, too. All black, unmarked ebony board, copper top body. Purty. But a real back-breaker. I guess the "Studio" models are meant to be played by young people
:agreed:

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
Mahogany body with maple cap, right?
the Dean is also 25.5" scale and has the wider Ibanez 7-string nut with, which i think off the top of my head is 1 7/8". LPs, including the 7-string ones, are 24.75" Gibson scale length, and the Epi LP 7s have the narrower 7-string nut width, like the Ibanez acoustic.

so if you have really thick fingers like i do, and you want an LP-type 7 with the longer scale length and the wider nut width, then the Dean is great. but how it stacks up against the Epi LP 7, i don't know. somebody should do a shootout.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I've played Leon's EVO and I own a Blackjack so I guess my opinion is worth something. :lol:

To me the Blackjack feels more like a PRS and the EVO feels more like a Gibson. The EVO has a bit thicker neck and it feels more rounded if I remember correctly. Ifthe neck on the Blackjack doesn't phase you the EVO shouldn't either. The Leon's EVO is a heavier than my Blackjack and it sounds a bit denser to. The EVO just seems a bit meatier than the Blackjack. The EVO is a great guitar epecially considering how cheap you can usually score them for.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Noodles' EVO really impressed me, as you all probably saw in his recent picstory. :lol:

Seriously, for the low prices these sell for, I'd say it's a major steal. Sure the fret access sucks, but that's just like a real Les Paul. I'm thinking about getting one myself, though the last thing I need right now is another fuckin' guitar...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've played Leon's EVO and I own a Blackjack so I guess my opinion is worth something. :lol:

To me the Blackjack feels more like a PRS and the EVO feels more like a Gibson. The EVO has a bit thicker neck and it feels more rounded if I remember correctly. Ifthe neck on the Blackjack doesn't phase you the EVO shouldn't either. The Leon's EVO is a heavier than my Blackjack and it sounds a bit denser to. The EVO just seems a bit meatier than the Blackjack. The EVO is a great guitar epecially considering how cheap you can usually score them for.

many thanks, eric. The reason I"m selling my blackjack is because it just doesnt have the right feel for me. its not a case of the neck is too big, it's that the shape of the neck isn't quite to my liking. It's not that comfortable, so playing is a bit more difficult. since my les paul has been fixed, i dont play anything else but my acoustic.. hence selling the 2 guitars i neglect :lol:

so if the EVO feels more like a gibson LP, has that chunky LP tone, I think i'd get along with it fine. I find that the neck on the C7 isn't round enough, i think my LP is more of a C shape whereas the C7's/ibby's are all D's.

and the 25.5 scale w/ the wider string spacing shouldnt be an issue. what size frets is on these bad boys?

has Dave even responded yet? :lol:

thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it :)

EDIT: Leon, any other owners, can i get some pics up please? :wub:

Last edited: