Hi Gain Preamp Recommendations?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Could someone recommend a good hi-gain preamp out there aside from an Engl or a Mesa that would be good for use with an 8 string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
VHT G3
Peavey Rockmaster
ADA MP-1
Rocktron Prophecy I/II
Crate TDP-1
Marshall JMP-1

I've used all of those with an 8-string tuned as low as E and they all sound great in their own ways. Best of all, they are all relatively cheap on the used market, especially the Peavey, Crate, and ADA which I grabbed for under $200 each.

Though, I will say, like any rig, choosing the right poweramp and cab to go with them will make all the difference.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm just looking to use this for some direct recording, so a poweramp isn't a main concern atm.

Totally forgot about the ADAs. Going to have to hit eBay now. ;)

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The ISP Theta Preamp Pedal looks like it might be really good. :yesway:

WarMachine

Reaction score
Rocktron Chameleon
Rocktron Chameleon Online
Rocktron Voodu valve
Rocktron Prophesy I or II
Rocktron Utopia

Yeah...i like Rocktron, A LOT! :lol:
In all seriousness tho, Rocktron is just one of those hidden gem brands that people tend to pass up for line 6, etc. They are really gnarly and the effects built in IMHO are top notch. Oh, and they can be had 2nd hand for close to dirt. $0.02

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I will second the ADA MP-1 and AMT SS-30. There's also the Amptweaker Tight Metal, which works nicely as a preamp (though it's a bit of a one-trick pony compared to the others).

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

The ISP looks very interesting.

The Tight Metal, while maybe a "one trick pony," seems to do it's one trick very well.

The Rocktrons are pres I always keep forgetting about, but always sound compelling in demos.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
For what you're describing, I loved the Mesa V-Twin. I see them on eBay for around 2-300 bucks. I used one in the studio when it first came out. It was outstanding.

Mesa Boogie V-Twin Pedals

Latest posts

')