Hi! Rack newbie reporting in. Pointers/advice needed.

• Thread starter Loomer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Since I've gotten it into my head to convert the whole damned rig into something Rack-based, and I'm toying with the idea of the following setup:

Boss GX-700 (used as the preamp exclusively)
Graphic EQ of some sort (preferably a 2-channel deal.)
BBE Sonic Maximizer (this one's a very big "Maybe", though. Not at all sure if I'd rather go with this or just the EQ. This is where you lot come in.)
Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp
and also MAYBE a Marshall Valvestate 8008 2*80W poweramp as well, just for the extra firepower.

The rack is going to be used for my new Grindcore band, where the only stringed instrument will be my guitar. As such, it will need to be able to power a few more cabs than usual (at least 3) and have some serious low end as well as a lot of harsh high-end "cut". So basically I'm just looking for pointers if this will be a good setup for that purpose. Since I'm very new at this whole rack thing, any and all pointers and tips are welcome! Even the most facepalm-ingly obvious newbie things is stuff I don't know, so please do enlighten me :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
the only part I can comment on is the bbe. And I think you will find the general consensus to be stay away from it. I ran one for a little bit and thought it sounded awesome when playing by myself but as soon as I entered into a band context I was completely drowned out. I have since spent a little more time eq'ing and dropped the bbe. works much better imo.

the bbe is explained to me as a glorified mid scoop and fools your ears into thinking it sounds good. Hope this helps :hbang:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
So, following that logic, the BBE would actually be a good idea since I'm the only instrument along with the drums? :lol:

Or is it so bad it disappears in the drums as well?

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
imo YOU may think it sounds good in the band context but to anyone listening you will sound like a swarm of bees. Maybe you want to try one, they are not super expensive. but After a/b ing it a lot with a dialed in eq the bbe is just too compressed or hi/fi sounding with a lot of shrill top end if that means anything to you.

But ultimately who am I to tell you how to sound. :lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Well, the thing is that I'm sort of going for that :lol:

The Maximizer is dirt cheap in any case, but I think I'll go for the EQ thing first and see what happens.

Latest posts

')