Hi there, ver2.0

• Thread starter emguitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emguitars

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm kind of a noob here, just checking out all the cool stuff on the site. I posted some of the 7 strings I've built on the 7 string board, but I wanted to come over here and show you all my latest creation. It's only got 5 strings, but it's extended range by virtue of it being tuned in fifths, low to high FCGDA, like a cello with an extra low note. The fun part is, it's fretless! Ash body, maple neck with a cocobolo fingerboard, green stain with an oil finish. Hand crafted the bridge from stainless steel, hand wound the pickups.
I've really been getting inspired by all the instruments I've been seeing, now that this one's finished I'm getting back to my latest project, an 8 string electric classical!Wait 'til you see that one!
Eric.
fretlessbaritone2.jpg

Here's a shot of the back, I haven't figured out how to post multiple pics on one post yet. Duh!
backcontours.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
It looks like a reversed explorer. And it sounds interesting.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
If I can get it in the hands of someone who can do it justice, I'll try to get something posted. I'm a much better builder than I am a player!

Just few chords or scales......I don't mean that Vai must play it :lol:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Fascinating design :yesway:
love the upside-down Explorer shape.

What's the scale length?

And tell us more about your 8-string classical. What tuning are you designing for? Are you going to use a multi-scale (fanned-fret) layout?

An extended-range classical is definitely on my agenda for the (hopefully) near future. :agreed:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's really cool man, welcome to the forum :) That looks like a really sweet design, I'd like to hear more about the specs.

EDIT: He mentioned in another thread that it has a 30" scale.

emguitars

Reaction score
BTW where you get custom pickups?

These particular pickups were made and wound by me, by hand! I used 40 gauge wire instead of the usual 44 that most pups are made with. It means I get fewer windings on the bobbin, and lower output as a result, but the tradeoff is a really clear tone in the top end.Very warm,bell like quality, which in this case lends itself quite nicely to the fretless tone of this particular instrument.
It's for sale, too, but I was going to post that in the appropriate place!
Eric.
5stringcloseup.jpg

')