High Gain amp Quest

• Thread starter Masch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TubeTone

Reaction score
UL gets buried by a Diezel VH4??? LOL get real man....Having owned both and using both live for years, this is simply and completely false, or user error...Nothing "buries" a UL, period.

Dear sir, if you read my message carefully, you will see that I was talking about ONLY stereo operation without a sound engineer to do the mix (e.g. practice place). I never said anything about live use (which both amps are great for).

As to "nothing burying something".. I always smile when people use radical/absolute exaggerations like that. So does my 180W Matamp paired in stereo with a 200W Hiwatt. :cool: Therefore, if you're picking an amp fight with me, you better bring your bassist too :fawk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium998

Bangs head here
Reaction score
I am willing to share info, if you take it with an open mind. The only way you can compare an SE to a VH4 is in terms of features. You should know, that you're comparing a mass produced (we all know what that means and where it comes from, don't we?), endorsement promoted, mediocrely built product, wrapped up in shiny headshell with blinking lights, nifty gadgets and LED lighted tubes to an amplifier handbuilt and wired by one single man who earned his reputation exclusively because of the tone of his product. There's very little promotion and there's no endorsement with Diezel whatsoever. The fact that a lot of world famous guitar players use these amps while being endorsed with other brands (JH for example) should also tell you something. I won't go into technical or business details of both companies, because some of this info is better be left uncovered.

What does this mean? I am not sure if could not be farther from the truth. Aside from midi switching and channel inserts, a VH4 has pretty much non existent features. However, the SOUND of the amp is by far the best sounding amp I have ever been blessed to hear. The SE is bursting at the seams with features. If only my VH4 had a half power feature the the SE.

The SE is a great amp certainly and I think my opinion follows the rest of your post. I didnt find it to be as "organic" sounding as the VH4 for the very reason you explained. But beyond that I do not see what/where/how its made to have any difference to its "sound"
Not trashing Engl at all, just saying that the VH4 was more of my preference.

VESmedic

Reaction score
Dear sir, if you read my message carefully, you will see that I was talking about ONLY stereo operation without a sound engineer to do the mix (e.g. practice place). I never said anything about live use (which both amps are great for).

As to "nothing burying something".. I always smile when people use radical/absolute exaggerations like that. So does my 180W Matamp paired in stereo with a 200W Hiwatt. :cool: Therefore, if you're picking an amp fight with me, you better bring your bassist too :fawk:

Thats funny, because I was going to say the same thing to you about your rash generalizations :) :bowdown:

Your right, your 3 million watt hiwatt/matamp rig or whatever, sure fine, but you know what I'm saying. And again, I still completely disagree, both heads in the same room being played by 2 different guitar players unmiced....Never had a problem, ever.

TubeTone

Reaction score
Thats funny, because I was going to say the same thing to you about your rash generalizations :) :bowdown:

Your right, your 3 million watt hiwatt/matamp rig or whatever, sure fine, but you know what I'm saying. And again, I still completely disagree, both heads in the same room being played by 2 different guitar players unmiced....Never had a problem, ever.
This is the second time you're completely ignoring what I am saying. I was talking about a stereo rig. Not 2 guitarists.

Lol at 3 mil. I was talking about wattage. Whatever you wanted to say there, you're wrong. I am closer to Europe and over here we have different prices that you're used to.

TubeTone

Reaction score
What does this mean? I am not sure if could not be farther from the truth. Aside from midi switching and channel inserts, a VH4 has pretty much non existent features. However, the SOUND of the amp is by far the best sounding amp I have ever been blessed to hear. The SE is bursting at the seams with features. If only my VH4 had a half power feature the the SE.

The SE is a great amp certainly and I think my opinion follows the rest of your post. I didnt find it to be as "organic" sounding as the VH4 for the very reason you explained. But beyond that I do not see what/where/how its made to have any difference to its "sound"
Not trashing Engl at all, just saying that the VH4 was more of my preference.

I disagree. I was comparing them in terms of channels really. The fact that the se has classic mode switch and a noise gate doesn't put it light years ahead of the vh4, which stays quiet when you want it to. Both amps are the flagships of their manufacturers.

VESmedic

Reaction score
This is the second time you're completely ignoring what I am saying. I was talking about a stereo rig. Not 2 guitarists.

Lol at 3 mil. I was talking about wattage. Whatever you wanted to say there, you're wrong. I am closer to Europe and over here we have different prices that you're used to.

Apparently you don't read very well either :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I realize you were talking about wattage genius, hence my comment. I just think your whole demeanor is rather, tube snoobish to be honest. You talk of diezels like they are fine wine....I am not an Engl fan either, but the way you talk down to someone that finds the SE to be an awesome amp is asinine at the very least. I've owned just about every amp diezel makes....Not impressed, especially not at THOSE prices, and yes I realize what you are going to say next about what they cost over there so save your breath. I really enjoyed the herbert in a 2 amp type setup, but 4 grand for an amp that can't hold its own in a mix? GET REAL! My 5150, let alone my Ultralead would completely destroy a Herbert in a mix. and YES, that IS a rash generalization, that is true, as evidence by the countless first hand accounts you can read about basically everywhere.

the Vh4 is a great amp, the SE is a great amp (if that is your thing), hell if you like the Crate Blue voodoo then thats a great amp, whatever.

Back to the OP, i would highly consider trying a CLX, I think that would be right up your alley :)

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you didn't like the Mark V, then you'll never find an amp that suits you :p
/jk

TubeTone

Reaction score
Apparently you don't read very well either :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Care to prove that?

You talk of diezels like they are fine wine....I am not an Engl fan either, but the way you talk down to someone that finds the SE to be an awesome amp is asinine at the very least. I've owned just about every amp diezel makes....Not impressed, especially not at THOSE prices, and yes I realize what you are going to say next about what they cost over there so save your breath. I really enjoyed the herbert in a 2 amp type setup, but 4 grand for an amp that can't hold its own in a mix? GET REAL! My 5150, let alone my Ultralead would completely destroy a Herbert in a mix. and YES, that IS a rash generalization, that is true, as evidence by the countless first hand accounts you can read about basically everywhere.
If an amp "can't hold its own in a mix", then your sound engineer is an idiot. Any amp, any DEVICE (be it a $200 Blue Voodoo, or a $7000 Larry Dino or a POD HD) for that matter can be placed in a mix, and this has nothing to do with its tone. Any experienced sound engineer will tell you that.

I've explained why Diezels are expensive in my previous posts.
You obviously have a comprehension problem, so I'm just going to put you on my ignore list. Bye.

Masch

Reaction score
Regarding the post about changing preamp tubes, what is everyone's thought on changing both power tubes (KT88) and swapping one of the preamp tubes to soften things up? Having spoken to a friend of mine who happens to be a technician he recommended changing at least one of the preamp tubes in order to tackle the "harshness" / brightness I've been trying to get rid of...What do you guys think in terms of what brand I should put on for power tubes and what preamp tubes to test (EC881 is one of those recommended)
Please let me know what you think?

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Regarding the post about changing preamp tubes, what is everyone's thought on changing both power tubes (KT88) and swapping one of the preamp tubes to soften things up? Having spoken to a friend of mine who happens to be a technician he recommended changing at least one of the preamp tubes in order to tackle the "harshness" / brightness I've been trying to get rid of...What do you guys think in terms of what brand I should put on for power tubes and what preamp tubes to test (EC881 is one of those recommended)
Please let me know what you think?

As far as different tonalities goes, JJs tend to be darker and smoother gain structure-wise. For what you're describing I think they would be the ticket.

The JJ ECC81S I used had balanced triodes. I used that in the Phase Inverter slot and its smoothed out the overall preamp.

You might consider just trying an additional JJECC8S or two in 2nd /3rd gainstage slots. Retubing the whole preamp in JJs might make things too mushy...

Masch

Reaction score
Great stuff mate, thanks for the reply...keep them coming :)

')