High gainers and the "Crunch" channels

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
after reading this thread I tried dialing in some high gain rhythm tones on my 6505+ with the crunch on channel 1 and I cant say I really liked it. Too much bass and not enough compression. But thats just me!! and I dont know much hehe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
after reading this thread I tried dialing in some high gain rhythm tones on my 6505+ with the crunch on channel 1 and I cant say I really liked it. Too much bass and not enough compression. But thats just me!! and I dont know much hehe.

666 EQ with resonance and presence at 5, pre at 6, dig in!

I too find myself loving the crunch channels on amps.

Shask

Reaction score
xExpect to play everything on the same channel as the amp only has one!
Brutal amp you'll love it.
Hopefully! I already missed the delivery so I have to wait 3 extra days... damnit, lol.

I typically like big sounding amps with some sag, so the VHT will be a total change!

Shask

Reaction score
Typically you use a boost (Tubescreamer) when doing this.

Reaction score
The crunch channel is killer on the 5150 series. IMO, much better than the lead. The crunch is pretty much what makes the Peavey Ultra series, as everyone who loves the amps talks about the crunch channel.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
666 EQ with resonance and presence at 5, pre at 6, dig in!

I too find myself loving the crunch channels on amps.

I should fool with that, but I use my clean channel too, and that actually takes priority with EQ settings. I do love the crunch mode for a rock bite (which I'm also using) though.

Attercop

Reaction score
I sold my 5150 II for this exact reason. I got it for the lead channel, and figured I would use the rhythm channel for cleans, since they're not great, but they're passable. I ended up liking the crunch way more than the lead, but I couldn't dial in a clean sound with the crunch where I wanted it. Sold it, on the lookout for something with a dirty channel that's similar to the crunch on the 5150 with a touch more gain.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
5150 crunch channel is what I use for my high gain rythem stuff, its not as "thin" as the lead channel to me.

I use the lead channel for my rythem.

I like the gain structure a bit better. And being that we play in drop G possibly F # or F soon, the thinness dosn't bother me because my bassists' tone is super dirt so he fills in the gaps. Plus im running an EQ through the FX loop so that thickens things up a bit.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
On my 5150 2x12 I use my rhythm channel (un-boosted for now) for rhythm and my lead Channel for leads.

Crazy I know.

Reaction score
On my 5150 2x12 I use my rhythm channel (un-boosted for now) for rhythm and my lead Channel for leads.

Crazy I know.

That sounds so crazy, yet so logical! :scratch: :lol:

Just kidding, when I had my 6505 and 6505+, I always used the rhythm (crunch) channels for rhythm...just sounds better to my ears.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Getting some interesting results lately. The Boss OD in the 1101 is a better choice with the crunch channel, has a fatter tone to it. The TS or other variants are better with the Ultra channel due to the mid spike or the kind of clipping they have. Using the PEQ with the lows set to 67hz and boosted 3db. Cant wait to try some kt66's though.

D1m3b4g

Reaction score
I find it depends on the amp and the setting you're using it in.

I have a Marshall TSL 100 head and the Red Lead Chanel is a lot hotter than the Orange Crunch. Played in a bedroom, the Red channel is clearly the channel of choice. In a band setting the Crunch channel is clearly the better bet for metal but the lower gain sure shows your mistakes up a lot though. That said I think the amp as a whole sounds pretty poor with the standard valves, crunch = a little lacking in balls and lead = too hissy to really use as a rhythm sound.

I also have an ENGL invader 100, 4 channel this time. If "Crunch" is channel 2, I hardly use it, I play almost everything through channel 3 which is my default gainy metuhl sound. I use 4 for lead work as it actually appears less hot with more mids. Same principal applies though, you probably could get away with using a really muddied channel 2 and still sound good in a band mix.

I've found channel 2 (orange/crunch?) is actually better off used as a dirty lead tone over rockier types of tracks as it has just the right tonal quality and dirt to punch through.

Oh and just a quicky, seems like a lot of people fall into this trap... talking about downtuning and using lead channels as rhythm channels.
In a band situation you'll end up with a hissy pile of shite that'll kill people's ears and disappear into a muddy mess with the drums and bass.
The amount of times I've had to stick my fingers in my ears just to try and make sense of anything.
It might sound crap in your bedroom and not amazing at practice but seriously, punch the mids, remove some of the gain and let the lower registers ring out properly.

From recent experiences...

Good example of this done right, Textures, Fear Factory.
Bad example of this going badly wrong, The Ocean, 1349

viesczy

Reaction score
I have the "crunch" channels of my XXX & 333XL (JSX clone) set to be my solo channels as they have brighter voice and all the gain anyone would need to solo like a fiend.

I use the Modern mode of my Road King w all 6L6s for the thundering bottom end adn then the Vintage with 6L6/EL34 mix for my solo channel. To tell the truth, either the Modern or the Vintage works great for a solo when you add the EL34 voicing into the mix.

Derek

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
I'm trying out the crunch channel on my 6505+ atm... It's a lot clearer than the lead channel, and I wanted to have a rhythm tone and then a lead tone. I'm actually pretty impressed! I am waiting on a Maxon od808 to dial it in properly (using a TS7 atm) but I think I may be a convert.

Noticed that Tesseract use the green channel too :cool:

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I use channel 4 modern on my Roadster for leads and rhythm. I mess around with channel 3 vintage but I don't have a specific use for it yet. I need to keep messing with it. I like my tone from channel 4 though

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I'm trying out the crunch channel on my 6505+ atm... It's a lot clearer than the lead channel, and I wanted to have a rhythm tone and then a lead tone. I'm actually pretty impressed! I am waiting on a Maxon od808 to dial it in properly (using a TS7 atm) but I think I may be a convert.

Noticed that Tesseract use the green channel too :cool:

So do they use their Pod's for cleans with the footswitchable effect loop, I take it. Watched their video's for Conceiling Fate and like their sound.

viesczy

Reaction score
I use the Modern mode of my Road King w all 6L6s for the thundering bottom end adn then the Vintage with 6L6/EL34 mix for my solo channel. To tell the truth, either the Modern or the Vintage works great for a solo when you add the EL34 voicing into the mix.

Derek

Note, I replied @ work and I was wrong, I use channel 4 in vintage with all 6L6s for my rhythm and channel 3 vintage 6L6/EL43 for leads. I too am still fiddling on the modern, it doesn't sound bad, I just need to find its use!

Derek

DSD87

Reaction score
I am currently running a peavey 6505+ through an orange 4x12 cab with a keeley compressor and i do enjoy the lead and crunch channels as the both have there perks. The lead channel has a nice gain where if dialed in properly wont have that nasty mid scoop the compressor helps with the dynamic range making the high notes come out crystal clear and the low notes tightened up and not "woofy". The crunch channel is awesome for when i want to hear all the notes in certain chords on the lead channel sometimes the gain on the lead muffles that up but the crunch channel brightens up the entire range so you can hear all the notes.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
My Ultra 120 is a hoss on all channels. Cleans are sparkly, crunch is crunchy, and lead is...lead...y?

My Engl 530 is a different animal. The "pushed clean" channel is a bit lacking, IMO. Thin-sounding and actually quieter on my amp than the basic clean channel. The low-gain lead channel (which is basically a crunch channel) is WAY more useful. I've recorded with it before when the high-gain lead is just too saturated.

Right now, I'm using a POD HD 500 and an Egnater Tweaker, so...yeah.

')