High quality 7 string for under $1000?

• Thread starter Metalfan220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i am currently looking to completely upgrade my guitar, I would like something with 24 frets, ebony fretboard(not many out there but it would be nice) and a low profile neck, i was looking at both the LTD SCT-607b and the Dean RCX-7, any other guitars that meet this criteria would be awesome, note that the guitar doesnt have to have an ebony finger board, but it would be nice if it did, thanks for the help guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
The two you mention are nice [I'd go with the LTD Stef b].

You can get a new Carvin 7 if you don't add options. They have been known to shave the neck profile for a small fee and if they are in a good mood that day ha. Has the ebony board etc. Plus you can try it for 10 days and send it back for a replacement with different specs or a full refund no questions asked. Hard to beat that deal. Alas no 27" scale on their 7 strings yet...if ever.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Used or in-stock Carvins can be found for that price sometimes. I wouldn't worry about shaving the neck though...I was used to ibanez necks before i got my Carvin, and i like the Carvin better.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
shanejohnson02 said:
Used or in-stock Carvins can be found for that price sometimes. I wouldn't worry about shaving the neck though...I was used to ibanez necks before i got my Carvin, and i like the Carvin better.

Also look at the ibanez premium line. Really good for the money.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you're gonna have to buy a case and pay for shipping (~$150 total, depending on which case you get and what delivery options choose)

So, honestly, even with ZERO upgrades, you're still going to be paying over a G.

But Carvin is worth it. I have four. I also have the EBMM JP13 7 which is also amazing, but my Carvins are just as good at a fraction of the cost.

Another option would be Agile at rondomusic.com; Kurt will take care of you and Agiles have a pretty good rep (I've had one myself; they're good, but not Carvin good).

Good luck!

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
You might try going on Craigslist and posting a WTB ad for Carvin 7-string (or whatever)

Reaction score
Hmmm i was checking out the carvins, and yeah it still is over a G, so i probably am going to wait on that, right now i am really leaning towards the SCT 607b i wish that the SC 607b had the ebony board, is there really a significant difference between the ebony and rosewood though? I played a friends hagstrom that had a ebony board, and it just felt better, then again my current guitar, is an entry level dean, so i suppose i cant base my opinions of rosewood off that instrument

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The SC baritone sigs are nice (both Tele and superstrat) especially if you can get a good deal used.

I'd also check out the Whitechapel sigs and the Schecter SLS or Blackjack line

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
+1 on the Schecter SLS. Really nice for the $.

I mention the shaved neck on the Carvin only because you mentioned wanting a thin neck [I think that is what you meant?].

New Carvin DC727 with ebony board and hard case = $908.00 and you can still pick colors and some other options at that price.

DarkNe0

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I used to be a huge Ebony fanboy, and I just got a custom with a Rosewood fingerboard and trust me, you won't be disappointed :)

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
used carvins
schecter blackjack sls/atx
ltd signature series (aw7, bs7, buz7, etc)
jackson 7's
ibanez iron label? maybe?
agile 7's

Reaction score
Hey just a question, what do you guys think of the hellraiser line by schecter, as far as i can tell they seem pretty nice, also what about the Loomis line?

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i had a hellraiser c-7 fr. it was an awesome guitar, alot of people bitch and moan about the neck but i found it quite comfortable. not thin like an ibanez by any means. thats why schecters came out with the sls. so they can appeal to more than one crowd. many people prefer thicker necks, many people dont. simple as that.

in fact i wish i still had that hellraiser, traded it off for an 8 string, that was the wrong move haha. they are very solid guitars.

Reaction score
well i was just watching demos, and not only does it look amazing, but its pretty fairly priced used 500-650. and with that extra money if i didnt like the pups i could drop in some new ones.

brnedon

Reaction score
I have a Dean RC7X and it's really comfortable to play. Compared to my MIJ Ibanez RG7420, the RC7X's neck is slimmer even with it being a C shape profile. Also, I love the easy access to the upper frets. It may sound stupid, but on the high E string you can play past the 24th fret, using the neck pickup as a 25th fret. You could do this on other guitars too, but it's a lot easier on the Rusty Cooley models (especially if you're sliding up 'cause the body doesn't get in the way).

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Loomis FR. For the money it is a great guitar. Maple board though remember. Interestingly enough... I shaved the neck back when I did the refinish lol. Didn't really need it, just felt like it ha. The neck is certainly not "thin" stock but its not a baseball bat by any means either. Not bad at all. I also scooped out the lower bout area a little more.

I very recently found a good deal on a LTD Viper 407 seven string. Super nice neck profile on that one. I got it for $300 and it is in very good condition.

If I were doing what you are today I would narrow it down to the Carvin and the Schecter SLS 7 and a LTD Stef TELE 7. I would want the Carvin the most because the options [even keeping under $1000 and you can choose passive or active pick ups] but I would buy the Schecter SLS or LTD Stef because the longer scale. If Carvin comes out with the 27" scale option on their 7 strings then I would buy that without question fwiw [with the passives :)]

Stangstag

Reaction score
Don't go with the hellraiser man. Put in the extra 100-150 and get the SLS. Satin finished neck, ebony board vs rosewood on the hellraiser, better inlays, and SD blackouts vs EMGs.
The SLS is just better.

')