Highly praised guitars you dont like?

• Thread starter teamSKDM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

willis7452

Reaction score
I can't stand Schecter's, Ernie Ball's or Fender's. I cant even deal with the necks on any of them, I don't get why everyone talk's so highly of them. Like it's great that people have their guitar's they like but I just don't get why they get pushed as being really good guitar's When to me I'd take any Ibanez or Dean over a Schecter any day. I ould go on about everything about those three company's but Ill just mainly point out the neck's and the hype of them.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I've tried several RGs and just can't get along with them (6-8 strings).

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I got a BFR (without getting pedantic) Rosewood necked JP6. I wanted to love the thing so bad but I just couldn't jive with the neck.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I can't stand Schecter's, Ernie Ball's or Fender's. I cant even deal with the necks on any of them, I don't get why everyone talk's so highly of them. Like it's great that people have their guitar's they like but I just don't get why they get pushed as being really good guitar's When to me I'd take any Ibanez or Dean over a Schecter any day. I ould go on about everything about those three company's but Ill just mainly point out the neck's and the hype of them.

Different strokes for different folks. Fender's get pushed because they're great all-rounders and have a fantastic neck for just about everything (except perhaps for people that doe extensive shredding and chords with long stretches between positions).

Ernie Ball necks have similar neck profiles to Fender in general (Petrucci neck profile being a notable exception).

Schecter is somewhere in between a Fender Modern C and the Gibson Roundback.

Now, it's likely you wouldn't like any of those guitars if you play primarily in classical positioning (thumb behind the neck).

I play primarily with my thumb wrapped around the neck (blues style) so the flatter neck profiles (Ibanez Wizard, ESP U, etc) actually cause my hand to cramp pretty quickly.

SkapocalypseNow

Coffee Cups?
Reaction score
A place with stuff and things and people. Just kid
EBMM JP series: I understand, John Petrucci (I haven't cared for his playing since 6 degrees) uses it but the neck isn't comfortable, the aesthetics are boring, and the pickup combo is excessively compressed and bland compared to most things on the market. I have tried them and their quality is incredible I just can't like them. They are set up for just pushing out music there ,is no real connection to the instrument for me. It just feels like a stenograph instead of a paint brush. Then there is the marketing that revolves around yearly anniversary models with minimal changes, that send the fanboys' hearts all aflutter. It really does put a bitter taste in my mouth for the entire brand.

Ibanez: Just could never mesh with the necks and the more modern metal focus of most of the models. My first 7 was a 7420 and it was fun, I still have the guitar but that is as far into Ibanez as I will go.

I shall expect everyone at my doorstep with pitchforks and torches in due time.
Actually I agree with you. They're not bad guitars, and I'll never say they're bad. But I've never gotten along with either one. Not sure what it is about JPs. I don't mind the sound of them, mind you. I don't exactly love it, but I get it. I also found them to be a bit uncomfortable for my tastes. Just overall not my thing. Ibanez on the other hand... no matter which one I try to play, I can never get past the neck. Granted, that only applies to Ibanez electrics, their acoustics I like. I think I might give them another chance in lieu of that 7-string Artcore, but we'll see.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Every dean guitar. I have never played one that I really liked. The best one I have played was Michael Angelo Batio's custom dean. It was pretty good, but not any better than your off the shelf Ibanez prestige or Jackson USA model.

wilch

Reaction score
I've never liked the Music Man headstock. It's so small and little, and not in proportion.

(guitar's play nice. But damn, I hate the headstock)

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
Les Pauls
Almost any regular Ibanez with a few exceptions (too thin, too weak sounding, too sleek...it's a guitar not a knife)

i like thin and sleek, but this made me laugh.:lol:

most anything by fender and Gibson. played low and high end examples from both manufacturers and despite the higher end models being of great quality, still aesthetically and physically not my thing. i prefer a flatter neck profile and as mentioned above, a thin, sleek body.

BillNephew

Reaction score
Starcasters. Those bastards have razor sharp fret ends sticking out, can't play in tune for any more than 10 minutes, and the pickups sound like the soundtrack to Deliverance.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
EBMM JP series: I understand, John Petrucci (I haven't cared for his playing since 6 degrees) uses it but the neck isn't comfortable, the aesthetics are boring, and the pickup combo is excessively compressed and bland compared to most things on the market. I have tried them and their quality is incredible I just can't like them. They are set up for just pushing out music there ,is no real connection to the instrument for me. It just feels like a stenograph instead of a paint brush. Then there is the marketing that revolves around yearly anniversary models with minimal changes, that send the fanboys' hearts all aflutter. It really does put a bitter taste in my mouth for the entire brand.
I think the necks are very comfortable, actually, but that's just a personal preference. I bought a JP because they were the only production 7s on the market that had the specs I want (because, at the time, Parker was still saying that they would never make 7-strings), and I bought the JPXI specifically because of the ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets and thinner neck, none of which were available on the standard models. Why is variety such an awful thing?
I've never liked the Music Man headstock. It's so small and little, and not in proportion.

What I hate about the EBMM headstocks is that I think they're asymmetrical the wrong way. 5-string basses have the four heaviest strings on one side, and the lightest string on the other. Why not at LEAST 3+2? Same thing with the 7-string guitars: 5 bass side, 2 treble. Also, and this might be completely incorrect, but it seems like it would be a better idea to have more strings on the treble side for purposes of evening out tension on the headstock.
Starcasters. Those bastards have razor sharp fret ends sticking out, can't play in tune for any more than 10 minutes, and the pickups sound like the soundtrack to Deliverance.

Starcasters are not exactly what I would call "highly praised".

RZKSpieler

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Let's see...

1. Gibson Les Paul
2. Gibson SG
3. ALL Ibanez electrics
4. Fender Strat
5. Fender Jaguar
6. (I hate to say it, but) ESP Viper. I hate SGs, and Vipers are just uglier SGs.
7. Vs. All V shaped guitars ever.
8. Explorer. Every Explorer or EX style shape ever.
9. All B.C. Rich guitars. Wait. you said highly praised, right? Nevermind...

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Wow. Let's see...

1. Gibson Les Paul
2. Gibson SG
3. ALL Ibanez electrics
4. Fender Strat
5. Fender Jaguar
6. (I hate to say it, but) ESP Viper. I hate SGs, and Vipers are just uglier SGs.
7. Vs. All V shaped guitars ever.
8. Explorer. Every Explorer or EX style shape ever.
9. All B.C. Rich guitars. Wait. you said highly praised, right? Nevermind...

What guitars do you like? lol

BillNephew

Reaction score
Starcasters are not exactly what I would call "highly praised".
I was being sarcastic. The only guitar that I can't really bond with is my LTD-EC1000. It just feels like a cheap guitar to me, even though it's one of the higher end LTDs.

Jzbass25

Reaction score

Sterling said they make them that way so that they'll fit in overheads on planes. I hate the way look too though.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
+10000000000000 worlds ugliest guitar

Have you ACTUALLY seen/played any RG in real life? Not a skinny guitar at all. S series is different on the other hand.

Yes I have. They aren't too comfortable to me and I've had some seriously bad luck with getting the ones with bad frets. Also the neck is too thin for me as a prefer the rounder neck types. I know people love em but they do absolutely nothing for me :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')