Hiromi- the Asian God of Jazz and Fusion

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
So while I was on tour doing jazz, rockabiliy and blues one of the musicians turned me onto Hiromi.. the Asian God of music :lol:

But in all seriousness, when I heard her I felt like I hit "the wall' Her talent and sense of melody is amazing and she's a terrific performer. I was surprised to see that no one's shouted this incredible talent out before! So here you go and enjoy =)

This is just uncalled for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
She's definitely an accomplished keyboardist, but I've never enjoyed any of her music. To me it comes across like the stereotype of Japan, like she's playing it mechanically, exactly the way she thinks it's supposed to be done, but sort of missing the mark. I've never been the least bit moved by anything I've heard from her. That's not to say that she's completely derivative and unoriginal; she definitely has her own style.

furrevig

Reaction score
anyone who can keep up with chik corea like that is somthing else.
her and her band are a well oiled machine.
to me the music is alot of fun, and the technicality aspect of the show is respectable. i have a long way to go before i could play anything in that league.:bowdown:

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw her in June over at the Blue Note in NYC and she is amazing! Her guitarist is from NYC too David Fiuczynski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia he has taught at Berklee and has an outstanding and unique style. His tone is freaking silly.

But this line up was off the charts. The places they are able to go musically span from straight up chaos, to the most beautiful classically inspired pieces. On top of all that they did a cover of Jeff Beck's "Lead Boots". One of the coolest shows I've seen.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Actually, we have mentioned Hiromi a few times. I even had a new CD day thread wherein I opened the packaging of her last CD (Beyond Standards) by smashing it with my flying v, causing the universe to implode.

She's good, but I really don't like Dave F. He takes away so much from that group. I might elaborate later; back to work.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
LOL! I didn't know her name, she is damn good, but I think it's a little unfair to call her playing "mechanical." A bit more staid (in the voices she's choosing) than King Crimson or some of Chick Corea's work, but she's definitely interesting. She's certainly come from the popular classical (orchestral) school before getting into jazz. Didn't recognize her as she had much shorter hair the last time I saw her. LOL!

Awesome call, thanks a bunch for putting her on the forum!

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
She's definitely an accomplished keyboardist, but I've never enjoyed any of her music. To me it comes across like the stereotype of Japan, like she's playing it mechanically, exactly the way she thinks it's supposed to be done, but sort of missing the mark. I've never been the least bit moved by anything I've heard from her. That's not to say that she's completely derivative and unoriginal; she definitely has her own style.

Have you seen her play live? If not, you really need to. Nothing mechanical about her live performances at all. I saw two consecutive sets at Blues Alley here in D.C. a few months ago, and it was just wall-to-wall brilliant and fiery.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Have you seen her play live? If not, you really need to. Nothing mechanical about her live performances at all. I saw two consecutive sets at Blues Alley here in D.C. a few months ago, and it was just wall-to-wall brilliant and fiery.

LOL! We probably walked by each other or saw one another, that was a damn good show! Small World and all.

cycloptopus

Reaction score

+1, She is definitely emotionally invested in her music.

She's good, but I really don't like Dave F. He takes away so much from that group. I might elaborate later; back to work.
I'd like to hear your reasoning. I didn't feel like he took anything away when I saw them.

Lucky Seven

Lucky☆Seven
Reaction score
Haha I heard about her on seven string like 2-3 years ago! I have all her stuff, Spiral is probably my favorite album of hers.