History repeats itself

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

koolaider

Koulaid
Reaction score
i guess you can say Opeth is/are like 70's prog rock, like Rush, Queen, and what not. and i guess, "emo" or "scene" bands like Chiodos or something, are probably like the glam rocks. and the "heavier" metalcore bands are the 80s thrash. like Trivium to Metallica or something. AND, lol, the underground music are technical, and are now more technical-er, i assumed...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Tool is the 21st century Pink Floyd

I saw this similarity myself and is what got me into Tool and heavier music in general.

I've never really understood the whole "core" designation of metal....I don't hear a whole lot of punk influence on metal. For an older guy that's not really keen to today's scene that "core" designation on everything is really confusing by proxy.

Forresterc

Reaction score
I would stretch to relate the awakening of metal in popular culture to the emergence of Jazz in the early 1900s.

Murmel

Reaction score
like Trivium to Metallica or something.
Seriously. They had ONE album with some songs that sounded Metallica-ish. Other than that, I can't hear any Metallica what so ever in anything Trivium has ever written.

')