HLB/Vildhjarta-esque Mix/Riff Test

• Thread starter Subranis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Pretty cool riff you've got going there.

Now to the mix. The balance is quite good, I can hear pretty much all I wanna' hear. Do you play softly there, or is it just me? The guitars lack attack and bite, so either try to pick harder (have you seen how hard Vildjharta's guitarists dig into the strings), or boost some higher-midrange freqs to get more attack in there.

The drums lack bang as well. What are your velocities? If the velocities aren't the issue, try using a compressor to give them more punch.

That's where I'd start for now.

Cheers dude!

Subranis

Reaction score
Pretty cool riff you've got going there.

Now to the mix. The balance is quite good, I can hear pretty much all I wanna' hear. Do you play softly there, or is it just me? The guitars lack attack and bite, so either try to pick harder (have you seen how hard Vildjharta's guitarists dig into the strings), or boost some higher-midrange freqs to get more attack in there.

The drums lack bang as well. What are your velocities? If the velocities aren't the issue, try using a compressor to give them more punch.

That's where I'd start for now.

Cheers dude!

Thanks dude!
I've been meaning to look a bit more into parallel compression for the drums as I hear that gives 'em the punch you need while maintaining clarity, as that's my biggest issue with drums so far. Can't keep that clear feeling and punch at the same time.

And I don't pick entirely too hard, I guess a re-recording may be in need! appreciate the words man

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Thanks dude!
I've been meaning to look a bit more into parallel compression for the drums as I hear that gives 'em the punch you need while maintaining clarity, as that's my biggest issue with drums so far. Can't keep that clear feeling and punch at the same time.

And I don't pick entirely too hard, I guess a re-recording may be in need! appreciate the words man

Sure thing dude. A harder picking-technique is kinda' vital, especially when it comes to Vildjharta stuff.

And for parallel compression, try rendering the same drumtrack into a wave-file and put a compressor on it. Put the ratio to anything from 4:1 to 10:1 (experiment with this), the attack to the shortest possible amount, the release to around 400/500m/s and the threshhold to around -40.

Try and mess around with different compressors. You'll get a rather pumpy and distorted drum track, which you mix/match with your main drumtrack until it sounds punchy, but not too pumpy.

Hope that helps in terms of parallel compression.

')