Hollow body ERGs?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I did a pretty extensive Google search, and it doesn't appear that much (if anything) is going on in hollowbody ERGs. Having talked with a couple of luthiers, the bracing in a hollow body is what makes it more complicated than a semi hollow or solid body, and that's what keeps people from making them. In addition to that, the shops (that I could find online) that would make a custom hollow body have pretty steep prices (in the 5 digits).

Anyway, anyone know of anyone making them, or anyone who has one (other than that LACS Tosin had made)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Are you talking about a full hollow jazz box type guitar? Or chambered? I think the burl LACS that Tosin has is chambered.

If you're looking for full hollow, talk to David Myka or Matt Artinger.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Archtop luthiery is a true art. It's not just something one picks up like building solid bodies seems to be these days. It's also one of the few aspects of instrument making that cannot be done to the same degree by CNC machining.

The molds, jigs, and and setups for making archtops are completely different than those for solid bodies.

From what I've seen, a lot of archtop builders are open to adding at least one string, even really old shops like Benedetto. It's just not going to be cheap at all, or by any stretch of the imagination.

I think Myka and Artinger have made some really interesting 7+ string semi and full hollow instruments. Novax guitars are more along the lines of chambered than true hollows.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you talking about a full hollow jazz box type guitar? Or chambered? I think the burl LACS that Tosin has is chambered.

If you're looking for full hollow, talk to David Myka or Matt Artinger.

Eric is wise :agreed:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize that about Tosin's. But yeah, I was thinking full hollow jazz box. And I knew they were a lot more involved from a luthiery/engineering standpoint, but I wasn't sure if I was just missing an el cheapo version (like Rondo) I could get to experiment with, or what. I've got my semi-hollow 8 coming from KxK, so that will give me a liiiitle bit of feel for the hollowness, but as I understand it a semi-hollow is way closer to a solid body than a hollow body.

Actually, I just checked out Myka. And that brought me to www.destroyallguitars.com. Holy crap there's some nice stuff on there! And there are some really reasonably priced 6 string hollow bodies that are just works of art. Check it out if you're feeling a lack of GAS.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can find cheap 6-string hollow bodies, but it shows a lot more the quality of materials than a solid body electric. You don't have the pickups and solid construction to hide behind. Things like the amount of glue on the braces, bracing pattern, thickness of sides, position of bridge down to the millimeter, etc.

There are decent archtops under $2k though, which is "cheap" for a true archtop.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Since jazzers have been using 7-strings for longer than rockers (thank you, George Van Eps!), and since Eastman makes great mandolin and archtop instruments in the classic Gibson vein, it should be no surprise that they make a 7-string archtop for less than $2500.

I own two of their mandolins (both oval hole, one with scrll) and one mandola, and they let me get rid off all the rest except aFlatiron mandola I've had since the '80s. If seven strings is sufficient, I suggest you give them a try.

Poparad

Street Theorist
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this as well. My main 6-string is a Holdsworth Fatboy, and before that it was a Gibson ES-135 semi=hollow. I have an Agile 9 right now, but I would really love a hollow version of it, possibly with a multi-scale (the difference from 1st to 9th is so extreme that one scale is hard to make work). My ideal would be an ERG Fatboy (fully hollow, though not necessarily an archtop).

Subz

Reaction score
140651.jpg

eq6uxu.jpg

I remembered i had these pictures saved. Dont know who makes em :(

pink freud

Reaction score
Yep. If you ever see a guitar that looks like a gourd with Down Syndrome, it's probably a Myka, and I say that in the most loving way (I love his guitars).

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Welp, I just ordered an archtop from Matt Raines. I looked at the Eastman's, but it looks like Matt's stuff is a little cheaper, and I'm primarily going to mess around with this. If I like it, I'll go for something specific for what I need.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
A person who's opinions I trust on guitar matters say that Raines' guitars are good as long as you look at them as "unfinished furniture". He mentioned it needed some fretwork, a new nut, and the electronics were bad but it was a good base archtop.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
A person who's opinions I trust on guitar matters say that Raines' guitars are good as long as you look at them as "unfinished furniture". He mentioned it needed some fretwork, a new nut, and the electronics were bad but it was a good base archtop.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. That basically sounds like the way I treat Agiles. I order them, and then set aside time on delivery day to set it up and do whatever I need to get it where I need it. I'll do an NGD when I get it and tell y'all what I think. And in the future I have to plan my Sundays better so I don't get bored and start ordering more guitars. :lol: My wife saw my computer screen and asked what I was buying and I told her, and she said, "You don't play jazz, though." And I said, "Not YET!" That got a pretty good eye-roll from her.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Ola Strandberg will make you a hollow but it's not really a jazz box.

Maybe ask Vik? His hollows are normally thinner profile rather than a full blown jazz box but hey who knows.

b10110

Reaction score
Eastman will build an 8 string archtop for you, they insist on a 17" bout but outside of that they will pretty well do whatever you want. The queue is right at a year now, but will get shorter once they restart the custom shop orders.
Eastman handles all of their custom work through their dealers, so talk to your local shop and they can get you more info.

')