Holy Intonation Batman

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I put a 65 on my ibby and tuned it to B standard, and something just sounded fucked up about it. I hook up a tuner and checked the intonation, it turns out the open B is giving me a C at 12th and a higher than C# at 24th, so I moved the saddle all the way back, but it's still really bad, it's probably half way between B and C at 12th and C# at 24th.
What do I do?

How come I didn't have this problem with a 70 I had before? @_@
:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
gahh, i always hated intonation issues! :p

it's one of the reasons i love baritone scales. they intonate reeeeally easily :p

but yeah, it has alot to do with the strings apparently. something about where the "middle" of the string is compared to the windings and stuff. i hope someone here can explain :p

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
stretch the crap out of the string until it has no stretch left, then reintonate starting with the saddle just behind the E string saddle where you'd expect it to be.

What brand string is it? It could be a faulty string. Loose windings will screw with intonation and basically make it impossible to adjust correctly.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
stretch the crap out of the string until it has no stretch left, then reintonate starting with the saddle just behind the E string saddle where you'd expect it to be.

What brand string is it? It could be a faulty string. Loose windings will screw with intonation and basically make it impossible to adjust correctly.

^this

also

fuck

.65 is pretty fuckin' big for B :spock:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Action is about 1.5mm at 12th and 2mm at 24th.
Thanks for the tip, I'll stretch it out some and see. :)
Like I said I had a 70 on here before and it didn't behave this way, the only difference was for the 70 I cut off the ball end and stuck that into the saddle.
For the 65 I cut off the unwound end and stuck it into the saddle, could that make a difference?

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Im having the same problem at the moment on my 7321. Ive put the saddle as far back as I can without the screw coming out, but the fretted note is still sharp. I think Im going to have to tweak the truss rod, which scares me!!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Truss rod adjustment is not intonation adjustment. The truss rod's job is to counteract string tension and is adjusted to a point of minimal relief (there's a small acceptable range of relief depending on playing style etc.)

65 -> 70 is common for a low B and balances out nicely with a 52 E string.

Like I said I had a 70 on here before and it didn't behave this way, the only difference was for the 70 I cut off the ball end and stuck that into the saddle.
For the 65 I cut off the unwound end and stuck it into the saddle, could that make a difference?

Depending on the string construction you may have effected the windings. It's doubtful though. Some brands are wound on a round core so the windings loosen as soon as either end is cut. With hex core strings the windings kind of lock into the core so they're less prone to loose windings. Sometimes a dud string just gets through the quality control process regardless of construction.

Im having the same problem at the moment on my 7321. Ive put the saddle as far back as I can without the screw coming out, but the fretted note is still sharp. I think Im going to have to tweak the truss rod, which scares me!!

If you can move the saddle 1/4" back past the end of the scale length you should have enough adjustment range (so on a 25.5" scale the point where the string leaves the saddle is 25.75" from the nut). You might need to shorten or remove the spring.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
65 -> 70 is common for a low B and balances out nicely with a 52 E string.

I use a 54 for my low B on a 24.75". :erk: But I like my lower strings floppy.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
What Dan said... and I'm using a 68 for B :flex:
.68 for my low B here too! We should start a Fatass string brigade :lol:

It could.. and you said it was a D'addario right? IIRC those are roundwound w/ roundcores.. so it could've come loose. I've had a similar issue happen with me with a .52 low E on my old 6 string (believe it was a D'addario aswell), it came unwound at the saddle a week later and that was what the problem was, weak windings :ugh:

I use a 54 for my low B on a 24.75". :erk: But I like my lower strings floppy.
Jesus. Thats ridiculously small for me :lol: If I can put medium pressure on my low B while fretting and knock it slightly out of intonation with aforementioned pressure, then it's too light for me :)

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
If you can move the saddle 1/4" back past the end of the scale length you should have enough adjustment range (so on a 25.5" scale the point where the string leaves the saddle is 25.75" from the nut). You might need to shorten or remove the spring.

But it needs to go the other way! The fretted note gets closer to the 12th fret harmonic the more i loosen the screw (saddle moves closer towards the neck), but before the note is spot-on the screw comes out the back of the saddle! I needs longer screw?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Which string is it? The most forward position a saddle could possibly intonate is slightly longer than the scale length itself. Treble E strings intonate somewhere around 1mm past the end of the scale length depending on the string, action, etc.

Make sure it's not just your tuner playing tricks on you. Some tuners get confused by harmonic content or are just plain inaccurate. Use your ears to compare the fretted note, the harmonic, and the open string.

Again, it could just be a shitty string :shrug:

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Which string is it? The most forward position a saddle could possibly intonate is slightly longer than the scale length itself. Treble E strings intonate somewhere around 1mm past the end of the scale length depending on the string, action, etc.

Make sure it's not just your tuner playing tricks on you. Some tuners get confused by harmonic content or are just plain inaccurate. Use your ears to compare the fretted note, the harmonic, and the open string.

Again, it could just be a shitty string :shrug:

Its happening on my low B, and its definitely not my tuner. I can hear its at least 3/4 of a tone out when I play the fretted 12th, but there is no more room at all to move the saddle, otherwise the screw comes out :(

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Move the saddle back to where you'd expect it to be, stretch the string (is it a new string?) and start over. Lower your pickups if they are particularly close to the strings because the magnets can screw with intonation.

If it's still not possible to intonate replace the string or take it to a good tech.

')