Home Build: "eco" Strandberg Boden 7 clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
That fretboard looks delicious. I thought I read somewhere that fruit tree woods were notoriously unstable, but you say nay-nay? Interesting.

Walterson

Reaction score
That fretboard looks delicious. I thought I read somewhere that fruit tree woods were notoriously unstable, but you say nay-nay? Interesting.

They are very firm/solid once they are dry BUT they need to be dried very carefully and for a long, long time. They tend to move and crack easily when they are dried to fast.

I wanted to be on the safe side, thats why I made a multi laminate neck... but well - it's an experiment.

Walterson

Reaction score
Roughed in the width and thickness of the neck on the bandsaw and routed the neck width flush to the fretboard:
dsf0901n.jpg

Squared the edges of the neck heel, important step cause I want to do a set neck and need the tightest fit in the neckpocket I can get...
dsf0903n.jpg

Roughed in the fretboard radius (16") with nasty 40 grit and 100 grit Sandpaper:
dsf0904n.jpg

dsf0905n.jpg

dsf0906n.jpg

I'll let the neck rest/set for a while before I do the final sanding/planing of the fretboard and start to work on the body for now....

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Random question, but where did you learn to take photos like you do? They always show off the work really well. I liked the look of this quick primer at MDPC, but I've yet to try it:

mdpc-photography.jpg

Walterson

Reaction score
Random question, but where did you learn to take photos like you do?

Photography is my second big passion, I'm self tought... got my first SLR in 1994 and moved on from there, I still have my own darkroom, use medium and largeformat Cameras... but I'm doing mostly "artsy" B&W stuff like this:

53856545.jpg

53694224.jpg

24405064.jpg

CD1221

Reaction score
That is a seriously gorgeous fretboard.

Excellent photography, also. Mad props.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Looks awesome!
Do you mean that I can't import guitars with any of those woods anymore????? That's worrying...Ebony fretboards?!

celticelk

Reaction score
Looks awesome!
Do you mean that I can't import guitars with any of those woods anymore????? That's worrying...Ebony fretboards?!

It means that import of those species from those locations will be subject to more stringent controls, which will likely drive price up and availability down. I don't think it means that they'll be off the market totally.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Alright that's good! All I'd heard of CITES before was something about Brazilian (?) Rosewood on guitars causing them to get stuck in customs and destroyed. I don't know how true this is.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
It means that import of those species from those locations will be subject to more stringent controls, which will likely drive price up and availability down. I don't think it means that they'll be off the market totally.

I remember once I saw that these woods added to the list, I had to change my plans for my build. I wanted to do an ebony fretboard (never had one before) but I decided since I can't be 100% about the dates, i'd just stay away from it. Last thing I need is a pissed off EPA on my ass! :nono:

Loving your resourcefulness with using those woods. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you got in store for us!

P.S., what's the outlook for the CITES listed woods now?

Walterson

Reaction score

Well, I think that you should not even want to import those woods.

But thats only my opinion.....

Walterson

Reaction score
and I got some work done....

made a second template for the cavities:
dsf0908n.jpg

Choose a nice piece of cherry wood for the body:
dsf0909n.jpg

turned some wood into dust:
dsf0910n.jpg

This saved ~200gr. I do not want this guitar to sound like a ES335, thats why I went with the "honeycomb" chambering. The larger cavity will serve as electronic compartment. I'll may ad some more holes later, it depends on the total weight.

dsf0913n.jpg

~1500gr left. Cherry wood is quite heavy.

I decided to stick with the fruit idea and I want this guitar to sound sweet and juicy ;) , that why I chose a figured and slightly spalted apple top:
dsf0915n.jpg

....glued the bookmatched pieces together the traditional way:
dsf0917n.jpg

dsf0918n.jpg

dsf0921n.jpg

Well, I guess I have to lear how to make a drop top soon....
dsf0922n.jpg

dsf0924n.jpg

dsf0925n.jpg

:wavey:

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Impeccable as always , I'm getting right into this fruity stuff and loving that figured Apple top.:yesway:

Latest posts

')