Home Build: "eco" Strandberg Boden 7 clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darkanus

Reaction score
Amazingly clean work, interesting wood choices, great job! :bowdown:
Do you have finished projects?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely following this build. Neat and tidy work there, man! :)

Walterson

Reaction score
@all: thanks!

Impeccable as always , I'm getting right into this fruity stuff and loving that figured Apple top.:yesway:

I was sceptical at the beninning of this build, but now I really start to dig it....

Do you have finished projects?

Shure, follow the flickr link in my signature or have a look here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...uild-gd-ergonomic-multiscale-sevenstring.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...omebuild-no-frills-metall-axe-56k-no-way.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...-ergonomic-6-string-multiscale-many-pics.html

Vinchester

Reaction score
Wow extremely creamy wood, the fretboard reminds me of hot chocolate :p

Awesomely neat craftsmanship AND photography skills as well! You win at life and I look forward to the finished guitar.

Also, THAI rosewood??? Wow I should grow my own tree farm one day :lol:

flo

Reaction score
Well, I think that you should not even want to import those woods.

But thats only my opinion.....

That's not only your opinion. I hate it when rainforests are cut down. Even when the species aren't endangered, I'm only ok with cutting down trees when the forestation is sustainable. That's why all guitars I've built for myself where made from either domestic woods (German ash, maple, walnut etc) or the newer ones from recycled wood (thrown away pallets, packing material etc). I think we as guitar builders and players can at least show that it's not necessary to use exotic woods, that you can make an equally great guitar with materials from responsible sources.

Now to your guitar: apart from the fact that I love ergo guitars and strandbergs in particular, the craftsmanship looks spot on! Very nice. The woods look great too. I'll follow this one :)

quoenusz

Reaction score
Where did you get that arborpress?
And what's it called in german?

Your work is as always very neat and clean!

SavM

Reaction score
Nice work! Can't wait to see more pics of the progress

Walterson

Reaction score

Walterson

Reaction score
Bend wood.... sounds easy first, but needed some tries until I got it right. I used some cutoffs from the apple tree top to practise and found a way that worked quite well for me.

Lesson learnt: Let the heat and steam do the work for you!

On to the pics, the "bendmaster 3000 sl":
dsf0937n.jpg

pre slotted top:
dsf0938n.jpg

the top had a crack that I did not notice first, I'll have to glue/fill it once the top is glued and set. To glue it before the bending action did not work. The crack opened again later....
dsf0940n.jpg

Thats where we are now and where we have to go... the aluminum foil keeps the body dry.
dsf0942n.jpg

No pics during the procedure, but this is how it ended:
dsf0944n.jpg

dsf0945n.jpg

I took some time to plan the fretboard again, the neck developed a slight front bow, but that quite normal when you remove so much material on the back. I'll let it set for a few more days.
dsf0946n.jpg

lawizeg

Reaction score
Amazing work, I'm learning! Looks so good, I never knew apple was used for guitars or that it'd look so good :yum:

Can't wait for more!

Walterson

Reaction score
Slowly moving forwards, glued the top:
dsf0947n.jpg

enough clamps? :scratch:

and fine sanded and fretted the neck, the fretboard feels almost like silk, no pores and grain texture, like very nice ebony... or "Richlite".
dsf0948n.jpg

I went over the frets with the fret rocker twice and can't find any high or low frets. I think I'm not going to dress those frets at all.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Walterson you are definitely now in my top 3 builders on SSO. Your work is impeccable.

Never knew that plum wood was so beautiful until I saw that fretboard

Latest posts

')