Home Depot Build Challenge 2013 - I'm Losing My Head!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I just now found this!!!

Looks great, man! I really like what you did for cutting your initial neck taper on that router table. I screwed my taper up on my build so, I gotta hone in on this area next time. You gave me some ideas so, thanks! :)
Thanks, man! Glad to give some people ideas with my mad science.

If you check out my other thread for the WG587 mod, the way I cut the neck taper in that one is a lot more accurate and it turned out better. This one was fine, but that aluminum angle stock that I used as a straight edge is too flimsy. For the other neck I used angle iron and it's much more stiff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Much smaller update this time around (no pics unfortunately).

Just sanded down the back of the body to get a couple scratches out, will do some more fine sanding on it soon to get it ready for oiling.

I'm currently building up layers of tung oil for the fretboard before I get to fretting. I still need to bend and cut the fretwire and do the ballend frets, so that should be interesting. I also need to order a 3-48 tap so I can actually get the pickup height screws through the tabs.

I also realized that I uploaded a lot of those shots of the body in the previous post in the wrong order. :lol: I think everyone can figure out which is which, though.

FruitCakeRonin

ss.reg orgular
Reaction score
2015, the year of the 2 year old builds.

Thats a really nice color. Going blue myself with my build, so I can dig it.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be updating this build every year or so by the looks of it. :lol:

Since I recently made some fret nippers, I decided to just man up and start the frets.

So, let's get nipping:

IMAG0148_zpskpdltw5s.jpg

Turned out alright:

IMAG0149_zpsor0l1jim.jpg

IMAG0150_zpsn54ckkjz.jpg

After this one I started cutting off smaller bits at a time and it worked much better. Way more clean.

Unfortunately the fretwire wasn't bent enough and the radius was too big for the fretboard, so I had to try to bend them again before hammering them in.

Lesson learned: Always bend the fretwire before cutting it to size, and always bend it to be a smaller radius than the fretboard.

Anyway, some progress:

IMAG0155_zpsy2utp8ds.jpg

I hate everything about fretting. :squint:

Got them all in at last:

IMAG0156_zpspiqy8y6v.jpg

Next I need to make my fret beveling file and trim the ends, then level them all.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The fret beveling block I made did the job alright, bet there's lots of room for improvement. Glad I used this build as a Guinea pig, though. Should at least play relatively smooth once they're leveled and crowned.

IMAG0164_zpsj1pngxue.jpg

IMAG0165_zpsxlnbhy2t.jpg

IMAG0166_zpsugvqrgqy.jpg

IMAG0167_zpsao760o5o.jpg

Then I started sanding some scrap oak to get some dust and packed it into the one side of the fret slots as best I could and put a few dabs of CA glue over each. I'll wait for this side to dry before doing it to the other side as well.

IMAG0168_zpspdevhkg8.jpg

IMAG0169_zpshkijyd8a.jpg

Hopefully it isn't as dark when it dries up.

Latest posts

')