Home Recording for complete noob!

• Thread starter Alex6534
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into the whole home recording thing, as the band I am in is only interested in your stereotypical hard rock/metal so I want to record my own ideas and eventually maybe an album. The thing is my equipment is rather limited and I have no idea where to start with buying new gear for recording or mixing. I'm looking more towards the amp sim/modeler way as I can't crank my peavey 6534 enough to get a good tone at bedroom levels.

Here's my current gear for "Recording"

Laptop: HP Envy Beats 2002ea:
Hardware: Guitarport :noplease:
Speakers: Cheapo ones bought form Curry, like £40 haha:
Guitar: Soon to be rg1527 with D-activator Bridge and Liquifire neck, Epiphone Les Paul with SD Blackouts.

As you can see I'm kinda limited. My first plan is to replace the guitarport as it can only playback in mono so I'm not hearing the amp sims to their fullest at all. However I am stuck to either USB 2.0 or 3.0 so I'm not sure what the best audio interface is to use. I'm looking to buy used, preferably under £150/£200 if possible.

Any help would be great!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Finster

Reaction score
I own a toneport DI box (silver model) and it does have stereo outputs. So you shouldnt be stuck in mono at all. Frankly if you arent interested in recording vocals theres no reason that little interface wont do the trick just fine.

That being said, i went and bought a Lexicon Lambda for my little home studio and have been very pleased with it. Dual mic inputs, half decent preamps, front loading guitar input (1/4), stereo outputs, and 4 total inputs, plus it has metering on the front. all that for like 119.00 US. But the best thing about it in my opinion are the converters....super solid sounding for a cheap type unit.

Alex6534

Reaction score
That's great then, perhaps it's just my speakers? They only have one output which I would normally connect to my laptop's headphone socket and then it works in stereo, but when I plug it into the guitarport I only get mono on the left side. I'm unsure if this is because I select the guitarport as my soundcard instead of the on board one. This seems to be the only way that I can record with the Guitarport. Also does anyone know if there are any guides to get a decent sound with free vsts? I'm trying out LePou, TX50 and Nick Crow 8505. Thanks!

Chris Finster

Reaction score
Ok so youre using laptop speakers then i assume. Go google up something like some KRK rokit 5in or 8in speakers, and simply hook then up to the Left and Right outputs of your Toneport. Boom Stereo. If youu have the toneport then i assume you have the Line 6 plugs...those (with a bit of nudging with other plugs) can sound pretty great imo.

DrewsifStalin

LOLKATYPERRYGUY
Reaction score
Le pou le456 is the bees knees. and LA convolver is a good Impulse loader for mac, Vogengo Boogex for PC. If/When you use compressors keep the damn ratio below 5:1

')