Home Studio Monitors

• Thread starter mrblue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation, even though I used to have bigger studio monitors, after moving, I went with a pair of Presonus Eris E3.5, they sound great and are plenty loud. I use them to game and for music stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Hey brector,

unfortunately the naming is kinda pointing to that but it actually is an Air Motion Transformer (AMT), based on the concept from Oskar Heil.

If you don‘t mind a more in depth explanation:

Did you guys google "x-art" before using that name?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Queestion fellas - has anyone tried the barefoot footprint 01's?

A pair is roughly in the same price range as the adam a8h's + sub.

I've seen so many different opinions on the barefoots that it's hard to get a grasp on how they might be. ie) some say too bass heavy, some say they're amazing, some say it just depends on the room and they can be fantastic or suck big time etc

....I should take a drive up to vintageking or something, but I feel dumb doing that since I'm not a professional lol

tedtan

Reaction score
Buy them both from somewhere with the understanding that you’ll return one set. That way you can test them out in your own room.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Just some thoughts after reading through the thread in regards to bigger/smaller/better stuff-

I started teaching myself to record/mix 6-7 years ago and the HS-5’s w/ an entertainment system sub were what I used to learn on, always being in smaller rooms. I figured “These get plenty loud and while the sub isn’t perfect, it works”

I’ve been lucky in that the rooms I’ve been in have been dead as a door nail, either from me shoving foam everywhere or just not having nearly enough flat surfaces for sound to bounce off of.

I just upgraded to the HS-8’s a couple weeks ago and man, I REALLY wish I switched sooner because while I only assumed I wasn’t getting a proper idea of the low end, there’s a SHITLOAD of information I was not getting from the HS-5’s.

First thing I noticed- Pressed Record in Logic, click track starts before the music at it’s normal volume, music starts and the click track drops in volume nearly in half due to all the other shit in the mix taking up the same frequency space. Never once heard that happen on the HS-5’s. Now apply that same situation to ALL the instruments.

I’m now re-learning a LOT that I missed out on sticking with those 5” speakers. Checking my older mixes on them, it’s extremely apparent that I was basically only working within the mid-high frequency range. About twice last week I almost deleted my Soundcloud account due to realizing how trash my mixes were. :lol:

All my AxeFX presets? Toast. After a few days of fucking with them I just started changing IR’s/DynaCabs because it’s like working in an entirely different world. They either have a ton of low end floating around or no low end at all.

So my advice is- If you’re just rocking out with a modeler/plug-ins or are just getting your feet wet with recording, smaller speakers are great. But be mindful that if you’re really looking to mix, you’re going to want to upgrade to bigger speakers sooner than later.

If I could go back, I would have upgraded about 1 year into mixing/recording once I knew I was going to stick with it.

And I’m still going to get the HS8 subwoofer. After this experience I just want to remove any guessing games.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buy them both from somewhere with the understanding that you’ll return one set. That way you can test them out in your own room.
ohhhhhh you're gonna make me go through the hassle of shipping heavy monitors lol

1704742081432.jpeg

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought you said you were going to drive to Vintage King.

But even if you have to ship, you get a free workout carrying them and shipping through Pirate Ship shouldn’t be terrible.
It's about a 3.5-4 hr drive depending on traffic give or take.

I just sent an email to book some demo time. I AM DOING THIS!!! lol

There's kind of no point in me picking a pair of monitors based on my room, because my room is going to change a lot over time with as much as I move around. What I have today isn't going to be what I have in a year most likely, but whatever room I do have will be treated.

What I'm really looking at is what can I move fairly easily and what won't make me shed many many tears if one were to get damaged during a move lol

....that being said I did ask to demo the big boy ATC SMC45's because I just gotta know what they sound like. And who knows! I may win the lottery someday and be able to afford them! lol

Stiman

Reaction score
And I’m still going to get the HS8 subwoofer. After this experience I just want to remove any guessing games

You sure you want the 8" sub with the 8" monitors? I'm not expert, so I don't know, but seems weird to me. Wouldn't you want a 10" sub at least?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
You sure you want the 8" sub with the 8" monitors? I'm not expert, so I don't know, but seems weird to me. Wouldn't you want a 10" sub at least?

8“ is as big as Yamaha makes ‘em. The sub goes down to 22hz, the HS8’s goes down to 30hz. Not a ton more information I’ll get with the sub, but they’re only $300 used so fuck it. If I were just doing rock/metal stuff I probably wouldn’t bother, but I put a shitload of 808’s in my music and I have a lot of electronic music that I never release but love making.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I have the HS
Yamaha HS5?

I use the HS7, and they sound pretty good for my simple use. I would imagine the HS5 would a good option.

Used to play Mackie CR3 before this because of the size and price. They sounded good for spotify and youtube, simple use on low volumes. But for mixing and guitar, very very boxy, boomy and closed sound. I dont think its the monitor quality that was bad, but the size. I second minimum 5 " speaker.

EDIT. Didnt check the dates of the posts.. :D

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh shiiiiiiiiiit.
Ok so I went to the super dangerous for my pocketbook vintage king store to check out monitors

barefoots footprint 02- the 01's were on the fritz. Just as well because the bottom end was huge on the 02's. I can't imagine how overpowering it would be on the 01's. the sweet spot was quite small. I had to get right even with them. They sounded super fun, but I didn't like that tiny sweet spot so I quickly moved onto the next

Focal trio ST6's. - hot damn. Literally said whoa when I switched to them. I thought they'd be all internet and youtube hype, but they sounded great. I felt like i could reach out and grab the snare. depth and sound stage was crazy clear. I felt like I could hear the full range clearly. Really good low end. Really open high end, but I could still hear the mids.

ATC smc25's mkII's- I went into this thinking I was going to get these hands down. They were kind of the opposite of the focals. Less spatially deep. More forward and more focused especially in the low mids. Almost too much in the low mids for me as I felt like i was getting stabbed in the ear a bit. (could be I was driving them too hard, but the guy told me to turn it up so i did lol. Or it could have been the room) Highs were a lot more muted than the focals. Not in a bad way just they were muted if you happened to want to hear that. Probably great for mixing but I didn't really want that while writing so I jumped back to the focals. (although I do wonder if I'd gel a lot better with the bigger 45's but I didn't try those 'cause I wasn't going to buy them anyway. )

I was going to demo the Neumanns, but then never got around to it since I was digging the focals.

bought the Focals - wheeew they're way bigger looking in my apartment once I got them unboxed than they seemed on the display stand bahaha. I thought they may be too big for my room but they actually sound good in here. ....no, they sound great. Night and day improvement over my ancient A7's

..I need heavier duty stands. The argosy 360's I had squished one of the iso's down lol So it's a bit janky looking right now. They get crazy loud really fast even on the lower output setting lol.

I do not feel like i need a sub with these in my room on a first listen. 10x13 if you don't count the columns in it. 10x11 if you do. Heavily treated though. And now it's time for bed. I didn't get a lot of time with them on the first day in my room.

I'll have to try doing a song on these to see if I'm faster/better. Overall I'm super happy with the choice. (which I should be for the price lol 😅) ...now we see how I do actually working on them lol

budget wise - yeah they're expensive. But if I'm right and I don't need a sub in this room when I dive into mixing then they really aren't THAT bad. I think you could easily hit a similar price range getting monitors in the $4k range plus a sub.

...if i die of beryllium poisoning you'll know it was the monitors lol

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Focal Trio6 and you were concerned about the cost of shipping. :fawk:

Congrats on the new monitors!
bahaha I told you that store was dangerous!

gah. I need to stay out of that place.

I think gas on the drive up was a lot cheaper than shipping. I think I paid maybe $50 for the jeep combined to and from. it was like $2.59 somewhere in TN where I stopped one time :eek: :eek:

brector

Reaction score
I have a question about studio monitoring. I have seen quite a few instances where professionals say they like "odd" monitors that don't give an amazing sound. Their reasoning is that the "odd" monitors they use help bring out the qualities that they need to fix/watch for. They said that a great monitor would be much harder for them to use. Have any of you all heard this and what are your thoughts?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a question about studio monitoring. I have seen quite a few instances where professionals say they like "odd" monitors that don't give an amazing sound. Their reasoning is that the "odd" monitors they use help bring out the qualities that they need to fix/watch for. They said that a great monitor would be much harder for them to use. Have any of you all heard this and what are your thoughts?
Yup, there are different philosophies about monitoring. For most, the end goal is translation: get your mix to sound good on most playback systems.

--Some like checking on "grot boxes", shitty playback systems. (I have a crappy bluetooth JBL mono system that I sometimes use.)

--Some like mixing on arguably "crappy" monitors like the infamous Yamaha NS10s. These are not super fun to listen on, but for some they help focusing on the midrange which helps for translation.

brector

Reaction score
Yup, there are different philosophies about monitoring. For most, the end goal is translation: get your mix to sound good on most playback systems.

--Some like checking on "grot boxes", shitty playback systems. (I have a crappy bluetooth JBL mono system that I sometimes use.)

--Some like mixing on arguably "crappy" monitors like the infamous Yamaha NS10s. These are not super fun to listen on, but for some they help focusing on the midrange which helps for translation.
Thank you man! Both sides of the argument make sense.
I have been building a resolving stereo system, and thought you would want the most revealing if you were editing audio. Learn something new every day

')