Horizon Devices Preamp Pedal

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
i was expecting this to be like a darkglass for guitar kind of meme, but it lacks an xlr out and some control over the mids, lo and hi mid controls would have been nice or at least a semi para mid control.

looks like they went for the lower price and less options
giphy.gif

also no fx loop
Bro an “effects loop” is literally just a gap in the chain between the preamp and poweramp.

All you do is put “effects loop” pedals in between this pedal and the poweramp.

And a built in gate and OD is more than most preamp pedals on the market have. Also, this was a community driven preamp pedal. If it wound up being $300 with less features than you expected it’s because that’s what people voted on

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
i was expecting this to be like a darkglass for guitar kind of meme, but it lacks an xlr out and some control over the mids, lo and hi mid controls would have been nice or at least a semi para mid control.

giphy.gif

also no fx loop
You put the fx loop effects, uh... after the preamp? Why would you need an FX loop? It's not like it does a lead boost, or bypass to other device sorta thing like the Pro series Amptweakers.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Honestly, I just need a clean preamp as a pedal platform.
this^^

I find myself using only a couple of patches on my Line6Firehawk, and I know if Iget a Helix I would do the same. And with the release of the HelixFX thing with IR loader on it, I really only need a good pre-amp. This pedal could fit the bill nicely, but then Im lacking on the clean dept, same as the Rev pedal.... Im bit exited about the tube pre-amp pedals from Victory as they do have dual channels, but then the Kraken is really a Dirt and DIRT channels, unless you put the gain on CH1 on 0.6.... or get the Countess version, but then Im not sure if the dirt chanel would be what I want

and donno who makes a clean pre-amp pedal... and even if, then I would ahve to tap dance to change channels, which defeats the purpose of it

Still pretty keen to hear this new pedal tho!!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
this^^

I find myself using only a couple of patches on my Line6Firehawk, and I know if Iget a Helix I would do the same. And with the release of the HelixFX thing with IR loader on it, I really only need a good pre-amp. This pedal could fit the bill nicely, but then Im lacking on the clean dept, same as the Rev pedal.... Im bit exited about the tube pre-amp pedals from Victory as they do have dual channels, but then the Kraken is really a Dirt and DIRT channels, unless you put the gain on CH1 on 0.6.... or get the Countess version, but then Im not sure if the dirt chanel would be what I want

and donno who makes a clean pre-amp pedal... and even if, then I would ahve to tap dance to change channels, which defeats the purpose of it

I think you may just want to check out the Two Notes Le Clean. You get a clean and overdrive channel in the Fender vein. The overdrive channel can be set on the verge of breakup (which is how I use it), and it pairs nicely with pedals. You can also go cleaner on the overdrive channel, and use it like two clean channels. Plus you can mix them in various ways and so on.

Just a thought.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I think you may just want to check out the Two Notes Le Clean. You get a clean and overdrive channel in the Fender vein. The overdrive channel can be set on the verge of breakup (which is how I use it), and it pairs nicely with pedals. You can also go cleaner on the overdrive channel, and use it like two clean channels. Plus you can mix them in various ways and so on.

Just a thought.
yeh cool, thanks

Ideally I would want clean/dirt on the same pedal. Like on an amp, so one step and change chanel.... Yes, I play Metal, but I also want my cleans, and by clean I mean nice cleans not semi-dist :p

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
yeh cool, thanks

Ideally I would want clean/dirt on the same pedal. Like on an amp, so one step and change chanel.... Yes, I play Metal, but I also want my cleans, and by clean I mean nice cleans not semi-dist :p
While you'd have to turn off pedals and stuff, you can go from channel A (the cleaner channel) to channel B (the clean/crunch channel) with one step.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Interesting. Modern metal tone pedal? Is it usable as both a preamp and as a distortion box? I’ve been finding some distortion pedals to be significantly noisier than I want.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Interesting. Modern metal tone pedal? Is it usable as both a preamp and as a distortion box? I’ve been finding some distortion pedals to be significantly noisier than I want.
I think they might be creating a ground loop issue or something.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

giphy.gif

also no fx loop

I don't get the FX loop comment but agree on the mid controls. Borrow the band-EQ from the darkglass alpha-omega, would have been cool. Well, borrow MXR's, naturally.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
fx loop between the preamp and the cab sim would have been nice or even necessary in the case of an xlr out

That poor reading comprehension's on me

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I think they might be creating a ground loop issue or something.

I wouldn’t think the dirt pedals themselves should do that. It’s not like 60 cycle hum though...just a shitload of hiss. In some cases high-frequencies, in other cases pink noise.

Edit: After a little bit of testing, the excessive noise isn’t coming from the pedal(s). More testing needed...

Last edited:

I play music

Reaction score
this^^

One option I can think of is the Hotone Mojo Attack. It has also a power amp, but you don't have to use it when you don't need it and it's still very compact and costs less than a lot of preamps.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
AMT SS-11b.

9987436_800.jpg

Always wanted to try this. It seems like it has some great sounds on board. Kinda like a Recto/5150/SLO hybrid. Doesn't seem to have a lot of gain on board, though.

I wouldn’t think the dirt pedals themselves should do that. It’s not like 60 cycle hum though...just a shitload of hiss. In some cases high-frequencies, in other cases pink noise.

Edit: After a little bit of testing, the excessive noise isn’t coming from the pedal(s). More testing needed...

Like I said in the other thread, you might have a defective Helix FX.

Also, while we're on the topic of pure clean preamps...

Ethos Clean II and Shiftline Twin II. The former being an SS pre based on a Dumble circuit, and the latter being a tube pre based on the Fender Twin.

There's also the Kingsley Maiden and Squire. You can request one of those to be based on either the Dumble, Twin, or Vox AC30.

PF Chang

Reaction score
Always wanted to try this. It seems like it has some great sounds on board. Kinda like a Recto/5150/SLO hybrid. Doesn't seem to have a lot of gain on board, though.

I think the SS-20 has more gain, even though it has only one tube.

Latest posts

')