Horizon Devices Preamp Pedal

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
From Ola's review and everything else I've seen, it truly does look like a rebadged MXR 5150 pedal with a bad cab sim tacked on. Would love to see a shootout between the two....

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Meme please.
2cyelc.jpg

I play music

Reaction score
From Ola's review and everything else I've seen, it truly does look like a rebadged MXR 5150 pedal with a bad cab sim tacked on. Would love to see a shootout between the two....
Well to be honest that has to be expected. Misha is not an engineer, so I guess the engineering has to be done by MXR. And why would they reinvent the wheel when they can just take any pedal they already have, slightly modify it and be done with it. If they invented something new (and that takes time = money), they'd probably release it under their own brand first.
I imagine it like this:
Mishka "Hey MXR I want a cool new pedal that is an overdrive with an added gate called Precision Drive"
MXR "Sure, we have the GT-OD, should not be too much work to add the gate circuit we also already have from the 5150 overdrive and make it still fit into housing"
Mishka "Hey MXR I want a cool new preamp, 5150 style with a cab sim"
MXR "Sure no problem we already have a 5150 pedal, let's quickly add our cab sim circuit"

mikah912

Reaction score
Well to be honest that has to be expected. Misha is not an engineer, so I guess the engineering has to be done by MXR. And why would they reinvent the wheel when they can just take any pedal they already have, slightly modify it and be done with it. If they invented something new (and that takes time = money), they'd probably release it under their own brand first.
I imagine it like this:
Mishka "Hey MXR I want a cool new pedal that is an overdrive with an added gate called Precision Drive"
MXR "Sure, we have the GT-OD, should not be too much work to add the gate circuit we also already have from the 5150 overdrive and make it still fit into housing"
Mishka "Hey MXR I want a cool new preamp, 5150 style with a cab sim"
MXR "Sure no problem we already have a 5150 pedal, let's quickly add our cab sim circuit"

Love the guy, but I see this as a test of the strength of his brand when the MXR 5150 can be had all day gently used at half the price of this. Since Misha's a member here, maybe he'll weigh in on what's different besides the cab sim and...a "tight" switch (not like the 5150 was too saggy or flubby to begin with).

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Well at least they made the MXR 5150 pedal work into an FX return now and not sound muffled.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Does this mean Bulb is somehow rebadged EVH?

I'm pretty sure there was a thread here along those lines like 3-4 years ago. Like a fan saying Misha's like the next EVH and then 10 pages of hate.

')