Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
:ugh:

Tony.jpg

scarabeaposter.jpg

:hbang::hbang::hbang:

IMG_5216.jpg

SG_standard.jpg

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Which idea? :D

This thread is giving me lots of ideas, I'm getting inspired to jump into the hardware challenge now. I do not think a lot of these guitars a horrible, tacky yes but tacky in an awesome way. I'm thinking of combining a few of these ideas to create a truly horrible tacky guitar for the hardware challenge. I would love to do the paint the entire thing pink thing as I have the pink paint already but I had a look in my shed and found a bed slat I would use as the fretboard and the figure in it is so nice I don't want to cover it with pink paint. Still we will see, I really want to build an awesomely horrible tacky guitars now :lol:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
This thread is giving me lots of ideas, I'm getting inspired to jump into the hardware challenge now. I do not think a lot of these guitars a horrible, tacky yes but tacky in an awesome way. I'm thinking of combining a few of these ideas to create a truly horrible tacky guitar for the hardware challenge. I would love to do the paint the entire thing pink thing as I have the pink paint already but I had a look in my shed and found a bed slat I would use as the fretboard and the figure in it is so nice I don't want to cover it with pink paint. Still we will see, I really want to build an awesomely horrible tacky guitars now :lol:

haha now that's awesome :agreed:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i love the paint job though. i´d love to get a guitar custom painted like that, but with the headstock as well. imagine how insanely weird that would look! like a freakin´ crayon guitar!

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
i love the paint job though. i´d love to get a guitar custom painted like that, but with the headstock as well. imagine how insanely weird that would look! like a freakin´ crayon guitar!

I used to go to my friends place to have my guitars painted in the past, he works in a place where they paint cars, they use the dupont 2 part finish, if you know a good place with good reputation for their car finishes, they can probably do a great job on any guitar for you...

The only thing about that finish they use is that since its a 2 part finish it cures chimically and looks like there are micro bumps all over it, just like when you take a close up at a car...

So you must know this and you will have to then sand that very gently untill its all smoth then buff it all out...

So be sure they put enough coats of the clear at the end above the colour coats...

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
It's all in the quality of the paint and the person applying it Patrick. Dupont is one of my favourite paint companies, it is not hard to get an incredible off the gun finish with Dupont products especially on something as small as a guitar.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
It's all in the quality of the paint and the person applying it Patrick. Dupont is one of my favourite paint companies, it is not hard to get an incredible off the gun finish with Dupont products especially on something as small as a guitar.

I think you misunderstood my post :wub:

What I was saying is the way the finish cures, its got nothing to do about the way the paint is applied, like for exemple if you compare a 2 part finish versus nitrocellulose you will see that if you place it in the sun so that it refects, the nitro finish will be all flat but the other finish will have like some orange peel (but its not orange peel) its just the way it cures...

thats why many factory are equipped with specific buffing weels like at PRS to take off this curing effect untill it gets all flat... if that makes sens?

I must take a picture probably to show you, but you can be the best painter in the world, the finish will always cure that way...

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post :wub:

What I was saying is the way the finish cures, its got nothing to do about the way the paint is applied, like for exemple if you compare a 2 part finish versus nitrocellulose you will see that if you place it in the sun so that it refects, the nitro finish will be all flat but the other finish will have like some orange peel (but its not orange peel) its just the way it cures...

thats why many factory are equipped with specific buffing weels like at PRS to take off this curing effect untill it gets all flat... if that makes sens?

I must take a picture probably to show you, but you can be the best painter in the world, the finish will always cure that way...

I think you missed the part where you are a Luthier and I am a Panel Beater who used Dupont as my primary paint system in my shop for years. :lol:

The thing about being the best painter in the world is that it is subjective, who is the better painter, the one who can get more satisfactory work out the door with less fuck ups and less come backs or the guy who can get the most incredible finish off the gun but takes longer and gets runs occasionally and other unacceptable imperfections and fuck ups resulting in more time and money spent?

The reason factory cars have peel in them is because it is more cost effective and less time consuming to paint them that way and the consumer finds it acceptable. So yes painting a 2 part finish with a little peel and sanding it then buffing it is one way to get a flat finish but you can also achieve the same or better finish off the gun with 2 part paints if you know what you are doing, spend more time on preparation, use the right material and have a good gun with a good compressor to back it up.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
By the way, I also worked for one of the best Aircraft refinish shops for a few years, the finish we put on planes is something you will never see on a Car for a number of reasons. Since most planes have rivets a buff does not touch the paint after it is applied and because of the quality of paint we used buffing the paint would actually reduce it's shine and DOI, so the paint and method used for a quality refinish on a plane are designed to achieve the least surface friction and highest gloss and DOI off the gun.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score

The fretboard on those arent painted. They have these horrible vinyl stickers. I have yet to see one where the vinyl has not lifted and looks like shit. A couple of the stickers have come off of my friends guitar.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, I also worked for one of the best Aircraft refinish shops for a few years, the finish we put on planes is something you will never see on a Car for a number of reasons. Since most planes have rivets a buff does not touch the paint after it is applied and because of the quality of paint we used buffing the paint would actually reduce it's shine and DOI, so the paint and method used for a quality refinish on a plane are designed to achieve the least surface friction and highest gloss and DOI off the gun.

I see what you mean now, probably they used the finish without adding some stuff to make it flow out more when painting the instruments cause it was in a car place...

wow thats awesome!

i can just imagine how impossible it would be anyway to buff out a A380 by hand :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')