Hot new body for 7420

• Thread starter backyardburial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

backyardburial

Reaction score
Hi, got a few questions. Im thinking of getting a replacement body made for my RG7420. It only has one 707 in it and one vol, so for oone thing anew body will look sweet w/out having a pickguard covering all the old holes. Next, what wood do I choose, I want the heaviest tone possible, I never play solos etc, just want hell chug, so mahogany maybe, and then, what kind of mahogany, apparently theres a few.
I also was thinking of putting binding on body, like a UV, so this would mean body should be flat not carved out where your right arm rests? I thought flat might also look a bit different, and hopefully not be too uncomfortable. This body will probably cost more than the guitar is worth right now, but its worth it, to finally have my dream guitar. It was gonna cost approx 800 NZ dollars, incl binding and spraying. Any ideas or help would be appreciated, esp with wood choice. Anyone wanna buy a 7420 body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goalie39

Reaction score
Just commented on ur post int eh other thread
Go with the mahogany I love it on my les paul, esp, and S7320. Its chunky as hell. I really don't care for any other woods.

backyardburial

Reaction score
sweet, cheers goalie, how do you think mahog compares to alder? And how many kinds of mahog are there, the luthier I spoke to said I need to say what I want, all I have heard of is honduran, do you know what yr gats are made of? Thanks again

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
sweet, cheers goalie, how do you think mahog compares to alder? And how many kinds of mahog are there, the luthier I spoke to said I need to say what I want, all I have heard of is honduran, do you know what yr gats are made of? Thanks again

Don't go with alder if all you want is chug. Alder produces a very bright tone.

backyardburial

Reaction score
right keep it up guys, the guy Im talking too said mahogany would be better than alder,anyone got an alder 7 string?

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
right keep it up guys, the guy Im talking too said mahogany would be better than alder,anyone got an alder 7 string?

i do, and i've found its not my thing, whereas the mahogany 7's i've played definitely are. alder works great for 6'er, where low end clarity isn't as important, its got great midrange, but imo nothing beats a good mahogany body with a maple neck.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
I do a bunch of chugging on an alder 7 and I'd have to say, it pulls it off alright as long as you have the right pups. Not quite as much lowend, but alot more mids and highs. It's actually not bad. However, I still get the ideal chug tone out of my mahogany 6 string which I tune B standard, so I'd go with mahogany if thats what you plan to play. In the end though, if you plan to do a balance of leads and rhythm, I'd go with Alder.

backyardburial

Reaction score
don't need balance. just chug, but thanks, when I'm a little more open minded I'll bear that in mind, cheers xeo, Think I know what to do now, but what about this idea of not having the carved out top? I went to a music store earlier and saw that binding works just as well on carved as opposed to flat tops. this is purely cosmetic, but I do want it to look the shit!

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Personally, I would never buy a mahogany 7-string again - its is warmer but much less defined than alder... Alder chuggs just fine, it's much tighter than mahogany and the low B will always ring with authority. In my experience, you can pair alder with pretty mid heavy PUs and still have definition over the entire spectrum, wheras you really have to choose your PUs carefully on a mahogany 7.

Reaction score
What about both? Do Alder with a Mahogany top? On that note, i've always wanted to see how a "reversed" les paul would sound...where they're Mahogany body and neck with Maple top.... a Maple body and neck with a mahogany top. Would probaby be very interesting. Never seen a guitar like that before.

backyardburial

Reaction score
great, just when I thought I had my mind made up. First off, 7 deadly sin and Matt, I wont be going for anything with a top purely because of cost, though it sounds like a good idea. And Pablo, I already know that Ill have a single 707 in the bridge, or perhaps change to a blackout soon, so considering I know what pups I will have, does that change your mind. I thought actives usually worked pretty well in mahogany?

All your opinions, while arent helping me decide, are appreciated, just realised that last post sounded kinda snarky. The more opinions I get, the better informed I'll be so thanks again all

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
As usual, no-one's speaking for swamp ash...

From what I've heard, swamp ash can really help to get a "nice" (for want of a better word) balance between the low end rumble of mahogany and the clarity (very important for a seven string in my opinion) of alder. It's a "happy medium" if you will. Ask your luthier what his opinions on ash bodies are.

OR, you could ignore our posts completely, and read this (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/76746-is-tone-wood-overblown.html) thread. Personally, I think it's bullshit, and the choice of tonewood is very important in achieving your tone style.

Uodnelome

Reaction score
The lumber industry has more or less corrupted the name 'mahogany' in advertising woods. Honduran/Honduras/South American/Genuine mahogany (the latter, as Woodworker's Source sells it) has the Latin name Swietenia macrophylla whereas African mahogany is Khaya ivorensis. So they're not related at all, besides the fact that they look the same and have a similar open grain pattern.

It's said that African mahogany doesn't machine as well, but I have no experience of that firsthand. Warmoth sells its bodies and necks of African mahogany. Not sure if it sounds any different either...but now you know some of the difference !!

Latest posts

')