Hot Topic is dead

• Thread starter mtillem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtillem

Reaction score
I know Hot Topic had been going down hill for a while but I got their new add today and it looks like something from the hills or something 180 degrees from metal.

spring_01.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Well there IS a reason they call it "hot topic" I'd expect no less from a store named that

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
^ I lol'd. :lol:

The last time I bought a shirt from HT was back in '08 and it was a Whitechapel shirt. The only thing I've bought since then was a couple of CDs and plugs, which I will never buy from there again. Prices are outrageous.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
The Hot Topic near me has about half the store dedicated to Twilight and the other half is a mix of neon colored tight jeans and Invader Zim shit. Me and my friend walked in there when the new Nile CD came out acouple months ago. We couldnt eve find the CD but we saw the new Taylor Swift and the new Justin Beiber albums though. Then we asked the guy working there if they had the new Nile CD. Now the guy looked like a metal guy, he had big gauged ears, tattoos all over his neck and arms, and just generally seemed "Metal". And his reply was, and I kid you not.

My Friend: Do you have the new Nile CD?

Hot Topic Dude: No, I dont think so.

- Me and my Friend looking at each other thinking, WTF?! -

Hot Topic Dude: (long pause while we stare at him in disbelief).........That's a Metal band, right?

- Me and my Friend walk out of the store with a single tear rolling down our faces-

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have hated that store ohhh sinc about 1995. last time i was there they had a "ministry, the mind is a terrible thing to taste " sticker. i was there shopping with my 14 year old son and showed him this. as soon as i showed him the girl behind the counter was like "we have the tur shirt over there for sale also". i was like umm i went to that show back in about 1994. and i bought that shirt FROM THE SHOW! why would i want a re-issue shirt of a 20 year old concert that i payed 10 bux for? she just looked at me like i was stupid.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
The Hot Topic near me has about half the store dedicated to Twilight and the other half is a mix of neon colored tight jeans and Invader Zim shit. Me and my friend walked in there when the new Nile CD came out acouple months ago. We couldnt eve find the CD but we saw the new Taylor Swift and the new Justin Beiber albums though. Then we asked the guy working there if they had the new Nile CD. Now the guy looked like a metal guy, he had big gauged ears, tattoos all over his neck and arms, and just generally seemed "Metal". And his reply was, and I kid you not.

My Friend: Do you have the new Nile CD?

Hot Topic Dude: No, I dont think so.

- Me and my Friend looking at each other thinking, WTF?! -

Hot Topic Dude: (long pause while we stare at him in disbelief).........That's a Metal band, right?

- Me and my Friend walk out of the store with a single tear rolling down our faces-

LAME we have Camden in the UK (its a district in london) and its gone down a similar route but they have just revamped large parts of it so a least it looks nice now hahaha

avenger

Reaction score
wow you mean its no longer a place to buy all my Insane Clown Posse gear while also being a place that features an "Avril Lavigne" area?

dammit. how am i ever going to boost my scene cred.

:(
As funny as this is, its sad how true it is.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Uhm.. How is that any different from 10 years ago? Hot Topic has always been that kind of place, where I can only presume people go to get an Invader Zim wristband to go with their Nightmare Before Christmas jean jacket, studded faux-leather belt and orthopedic-inspired boots..

The only reason I ever set foot in one is that they usually have some sweet vinyl album represses or limited edition vinyl picture discs. I got a vinyl picture disc for Deftones: Adrenaline there, and represses of Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill, a bunch of Radiohead, Metallica's And Justice For All, and so on. I dunno how many of you play or collect records but it's pretty hard to walk into a store these days and find any of that in brand new unopened condition. :yesway:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have to admit i have alot of jack skellington nightmare before christmas stuff. but i have been a fan since it came out when I was a junior in highschool lol.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
Back in like 94, before the Internet really had anything worthwhile on it, Hot Topic was the only brick and mortar shop to get band T-Shirts from around here. And there was only one in the entire state if I remember correctly. Everytime you went in there some crazy ass metal would be playing and some scary dude with long hair and a huge beard would be behind the counter.

Those days have surely changed...

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
and my kid loves invader zim shit (thats why we were there he wanted a new zim hoodie lol.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
i have to admit i have alot of jack skellington nightmare before christmas stuff. but i have been a fan since it came out when I was a junior in highschool lol.

Sounds like we're about the same age, and I'm a big fan too, actually. Of Invader Zim, as well. I just don't feel the need to advertise that by wearing the clothing Hot Topic sells. ;)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Sounds like we're about the same age, and I'm a big fan too, actually. Of Invader Zim, as well. I just don't feel the need to advertise that by wearing the clothing Hot Topic sells. ;)

im 34 and agree 100% lol. i got most of my jack stuff from either the disney store or suncoast motion picture company :hbang:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame Jack's legacy has been so raped by the scene culture, but that's just how it goes. I have a Jack wallet, brought it out one time and a friend asked if it was some kind of emo band logo...

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
i remember buying my ex-gfs little brother an AFI t-shirt for his b-day a long while back.

i went to the check out counter and the "badass" said "Fuck...i love AFI"

he said it (AFF-EE)

well done.

burn it down...burn..it...down.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
It's a shame Jack's legacy has been so raped by the scene culture, but that's just how it goes. I have a Jack wallet, brought it out one time and a friend asked if it was some kind of emo band logo...

is it the black nylon one that velcros shut? if so thats the same one i have lol.

')