Hotplate for IR's - troubles

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
So been using some IR's to record my recto at home. Using mixir2 and some redwirez ir's . Taking a line from the slave out and covering the cab in blankets to muffle the volume and I was starting to get pretty decent results. Browsing eBay I stumbled across a hot plate at a real good price so buy it thinking " awesome , I can use that as a dummy load and push the amp harder and no More blankets"

So I get it today plug it all in and try using the line out on the hotplate and the mesa slave out and it sounds horrible. Tubby, Not defined , fizzy . Just a unusable mess. Sounded way better with the blankets pushing the amp less.

Wtf is going on ? The hotplate is working good. Sounds good as an attenuator for the cab. But as a dummy load sounds horrible.

Anyone else found this ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
So been using some IR's to record my recto at home. Using mixir2 and some redwirez ir's . Taking a line from the slave out and covering the cab in blankets to muffle the volume and I was starting to get pretty decent results. Browsing eBay I stumbled across a hot plate at a real good price so buy it thinking " awesome , I can use that as a dummy load and push the amp harder and no More blankets"

So I get it today plug it all in and try using the line out on the hotplate and the mesa slave out and it sounds horrible. Tubby, Not defined , fizzy . Just a unusable mess. Sounded way better with the blankets pushing the amp less.

Wtf is going on ? The hotplate is working good. Sounds good as an attenuator for the cab. But as a dummy load sounds horrible.

Anyone else found this ?

I use a Palmer PDI-03 for direct recording from my amps with RedWirez IRs and it sounds fine. Are you sure the Hotplate you have can act as a dummy load? Is the signal clipping or just doesn't sound good? What's your signal path from your amp to your pc?

mongey

Reaction score
Yeah it has a load setting

I was just plugging amo output into it and running a line out into my sound card

I had to go to rehearsal so only had a quick fiddle. Something dodgey must've been goin on. Bad connection or something. Will try again tomorrow.

mongey

Reaction score
Into my edirol card. Same way I use it if using impulses with my pod or straight outta the amp send

mongey

Reaction score
For any future searchers I worked out my problem

Was setting my amp masters way to high and I guess the power section was mushing out. I dropped it to my gig level , still damn loud , and it sounds way better

Guess just cause you can crank the power section it dont mean you should.

')