How 8 string and 9 string guitars change the role of the bass player in metal.

• Thread starter luca9583
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hyperbass is fucking boss.

The future of music: An octave lower than music.

the problem with it is that it's hard to discern WTF you're even hearing if it goes too fast. If i record something slower, it'll sound fucking ridiculous, in a good way. I think tuning it in unison works better for tunings like these. drop D is pretty fucking low already. and i might go to C#.

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
Awesome songs, Kitten.

Everybody need to check out this video immediately:

Oh. My. Gosh. :shred::hbang::scream::bowdown::agreed:

I think that pretty much sums up what a bass is capable of in metal.

Xplora

Reaction score
Listened to the hyperbass MP3s... really liked it. It really is just a synth pad at those frequencies, but that's good. It creates a feel in those riffs that you wouldn't get with just a guitar.

The key is, where do you go from there? You've found a spanner in the toolbox, and it's great from undoing nuts and tightening them up again, and you could use it as a hammer in some jobs, a stirring spoon in the kitchen, but it's no good at cutting wood or painting fingernails. I think that's where you need to think through what feel you need, what is the message you are trying to convey.

I personally would prefer a more grindy guitar sound to carry the heavy tone more. You'd get the psychological effect using a mahogany guitar detuned and picked hard with EMG 81s, because you are trying to get a rich organic hugeness across, NOT a super low tone.

But - it's your piece and while I would choose another tool for the job, who cares what I think? You've taken the spanner and worked great things with it. And those choices are what is necessary to say "hey, what are we going to use this bass for?". I love Contrabass strings in the lowest registers, because they have this thick woody rumble, the tuba and bassoon don't have that tone. Bass guitar is capable of some nice tones too that complement the guitar... but do they complement a 9 string?

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
^ They do reach the frequency, just the fundamental isn't nearly as loud. Thicker strings on any given scale length (i.e. tension - the tension of bass strings is twice as much as guitar strings typically) lose higher harmonics, which is why basses sound a lot more of the fundamental.

So yes, the roles should not change.

But think about how many ERG players, in metal, don't cut everything below 100Hz. If they didn't then they would get a muddy tone or have to crank the bass to the point where the fundamental is apparent enough to sound like a bass (e.g. Nothing; Meshuggah). The bass comes in and covers the fundamentals for the guitar when it isn't covering those frequencys.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I've used a capo on my bass since I started playing. I started on a 5 string, learned that the lowest tuning I would be playing was ADGCF, tuned to that, and used a capo for higher tunings.

I mostly use capo (or better yet partial capo) to transpose natural harmonics into a useful key.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Plus it's worth noting people like Regi Wooten have been slappin' on a six string for many years.

Reaction score
I live in an isolated area where it's pretty hard to find people. I play a seven string in Drop A through a regular 2x12 guitar cab and then add in a bass extension cab. Our other guitar player does so in Drop D through a regular half-stack. I think our sound is pretty full, especially because we make it a point to play separate guitar lines much of the time. Some purists might not like it, but that's not a big worry for me. Usually when we play out, I set out the bass cab and the guitar amp and both are mic'd by the sound guy before i even have to explain that both are for my guitar.

But I did play a bassline that was mostly inaudible on our album.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
My band can't find a bass player, so we tuned 6 and 7 string guitars to standard B tuning. I have an 8 string now tuned to F# and I hope the other guitarist will do the same.

We're even getting comfortable with not having a bass player and no longer feel the need for it. We consider getting a third guitarist with a 7 or 8 string baritone. After gigs we get lots of compliments about our full yet clear sound. Sometimes people only find out we don't have a bass player because we tell them, lol.

Where we rehearse, we heard about a bass player leaving his band because both guitarists showed up with 8 string guitars without first discussing it, surprise ! :wavey: :lol:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
No way. In fact there's some pretty obviously audible bass in Stengah, especially in the original mix. You can really hear it starting around :48 when the guitars are semi-muted and the bass sustains.

I remember hearing something about one of the guitarists also playing bass at some point. Maybe that's what happened if they fired their bassist before recording.

Marten.

But on most of their demo stuff that they send around to each other, they have played most of the instruments themselves. Or programmed the drums. Cause lets face it... Tomas is a god.

jeleopard

Reaction score
I play bass in standard (deviating only maybe a half step down). I finding tuning a bass to be cheating. Dick Lövgren does this. He tunes half step down whine Frederik and Martin are in F.

I even have a friend who totally denounces anything other than standard. He transposes anything; he's a fantastic musician.

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
I play bass in standard (deviating only maybe a half step down). I finding tuning a bass to be cheating. Dick Lövgren does this. He tunes half step down whine Frederik and Martin are in F.

I even have a friend who totally denounces anything other than standard. He transposes anything; he's a fantastic musician.

Nothing in music is cheating, IMO. If you make things fake you will pay the price of it not sounding good or not being able to play it live, both of which tend to decrease a band's popularity.

Did anyone see Dick Lovgren and Tomas Haake jam? It is on Youtube. Meshuggah definitely needs their bass player. He really carries their low groove.

jimwratt

Reaction score
There's a lot of room for creativity, too. Anyone remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin? Not metal, but they had two bass players - one that held down the low end, and one that played higher up doing the melody. Their guitarist does more rhythmic, sometimes ska type stuff.
And then there's Primus, where the bass takes up room for the guitar because Claypool is a maniac on his instrument.
So IMO we should be experimenting with alternatives to the bass playing the root of the guitar one octave lower.

I'll agree with that and go a bit further. I think we will really see what 8 strings can mean in a band when more non-metal guys pick them up. Traditionally, metal has not been the bass's domain. I would imagine that in something like R&B, there's a lot more bass territory to cover so an 8 string guitar could be a game changer. In metal, it seems to just add to the guitar's unopposed dominance.

Latest posts

')