How are Carvin guitars?

• Thread starter kingneptune117
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today is a very unfortunate day for me. I received my second ESP E-II Eclipse (First one was defective and got returned), and much to my surprise this one had a scratch on the back and some weird scrape marks on the front. I am extremely disappointed, since it is such a beautiful guitar. I am a lefty, and this was a special run of only 6. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyways, this guitar will be going back, and I am looking into other manufacturers. I have heard great things about Carvin guitars, and the ones that I have seem look absolutely amazing.

Can anyone here give me their impressions on Carvin guitars? What is the difference between Kiezel and Carvin? I would be looking into a CT6 I think, those look absolutely killer.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
This forum in general has an exceptionally high bias towards Carvin/Kiesel guitars, you'll hear a lot of glowing reviews. I don't have any first-hand experience so I can't speak directly to that, but I'm sure others will.

There's really no major difference between Carvin and Kiesel - it's just that the new shapes introduced by Jeff Kiesel, the current owner and grandson of the founder, have been labelled as "Kiesel" and the old models are labelled as "Carvin". There's no price difference due to that and the options are more-or-less the same, and IIRC you can get any "Kiesel" guitar with the "Carvin" branding.

"Kiesel Edition" guitars are different, those are guitars that Jeff Kiesel has personally worked on/with the customer to do "one-off" (or rather, not normally offered) finishes/features/etc. and do carry an upcharge - these are relatively rare though.

Sucks to hear about the E-II though, but from what I've heard the thinner Carvin neck carve is somewhat similar to the ESP one.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I have a DC800 from a few years back, and it's one of my best playing guitars. Fit and finish is excellent as well, definitely worth what it cost me. If you go Carvin/Kiesel, do yourself a favor and get stainless steel frets. They have a very small upcharge for that particular option and it's beyond worth it

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I have a DC7X and a Vader. Both are superbly built, well set-up instruments. All of their guitars, from the Bolt up to the most optioned K series, are built to the same high quality standards. It's not like Ibanez or Fender where there are different tiers of quality based on which product line you're buying. I think they're a worthwhile investment, but ultimately the guitar that inspires you is the best one to get.

JustinG60

Reaction score
I have a Carvin SCB7 and a Carvin DC700. I'm just not sure I can say enough about them, in a good way.

mind you, I even sold an EBMM JP12 7 string to pay for one of them, absolutely no regrets. I've also had some other nice 7's such as a Dean RC7 USA and for me, they're what I want in a guitar.

I don't like a super slim neck, but these aren't Gibson 50's necks either, that might be the one thing you could find people disagree on about Carvins here.

#1 reason why i like Carvin, I can order it with the woods I want. I am not stuck with Basswood (I HATE BASSWOOD!) or Alder. Both of mine had mahogany bodies because that's what I like. Buy a Carvin and get EXACTLY what you want. if you don't get what you want, send it back. not a bad deal!

Mike

Reaction score
I love their finishes, quality, customer service, and options. I don't like their tone. I've had 5 different Carvin 7's and 8's and only kept one. They just lacked the body, attack, and grind I like to hear out of my guitars.

NuBz

Reaction score
Never owned one but I have heard good things about Carvin for over 20 years.

Where did you buy your Eclipse that you're having so much trouble?

I bet I could guess but I won't.

pahulkster

Reaction score
I remember Doug Marks giving Carvin an unpaid endorsement in the Metal Method vhs tapes from 15 years ago. They have been around and seem to be consistently great.

One thing that comes up is their resale value. Obviously the benefits of custom guitars can work against you if you have to sell it. You are going to eat it if you decide to sell your guitar.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
Never owned one but I have heard good things about Carvin for over 20 years.

Where did you buy your Eclipse that you're having so much trouble?

I bet I could guess but I won't.

It's from a lefty only guitar shop. I don't think it was shop owners fault. ESP did a shoddy job.

NuBz

Reaction score
I remember Doug Marks giving Carvin an unpaid endorsement in the Metal Method vhs tapes from 15 years ago. They have been around and seem to be consistently great.

One thing that comes up is their resale value. Obviously the benefits of custom guitars can work against you if you have to sell it. You are going to eat it if you decide to sell your guitar.

It was longer ago that that I remember.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
IIRC you can get any "Kiesel" guitar with the "Carvin" branding.

"Officially", it's the other way around - They won't brand a Kiesel model with "Carvin", because it's only "Kiesel", going forward. But you have the option of ordering any previously-existing Carvin model with the Kiesel logo, because Kiesel is the department making the guitars.

My H2T I ordered in 2011 was great (minus an outsourced hardware flaw they can't really be held responsible for), their H22 is my favorite pickup, and I just had the new KH12B Holdsworth signature pickup delivered today.

That's the quality of the received product. Unfortunately, my experiences with Carvin/Kiesel's service have all had problems that I consider embarrassments for such an established company:

When my guitar build was nearing completion, they charged my card $100 more than the initial invoice. When I called to ask about it, the rep's attitude was dismissive of my annoyance: "Well, that's just what the guitar costs - Your initial invoice was probably an error with the online builder."

They've just made me wait two weeks while they wound a pickup they sold me under the pretense of being "in-stock" and, despite my email exchanges with them asking what the holdup was, mailed me the pickup without ever notifying me of its completion or impending delivery. Upon receiving the pickup today, I saw that they have lowered its price from the $99 I paid to $79. I emailed them today to both complain about their lack of communication, and to request a $20 refund for the price difference.

Their refusal to use Paypal or any other similar buyer-protection merchant service has me skeptical about their willingness to rectify nickle-and-dime tactics when they're called out on it.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I've owned both esp and carvin, and I'll go carvin all the way.
Not sure the model but they have the LP that can be done very similar to the eclipse (plus you get to pick what you want). Almost all models are lefty friendly as well!

JustinG60

Reaction score
It's the other way around - "Officially", they won't brand a Kiesel model with "Carvin", because it's only "Kiesel", going forward. But you have the option of ordering any previously-existing Carvin model with the Kiesel logo, because Kiesel is the department making the guitars.

also if you want the Kiesel name on your Carvin guitar, don't hold your breath expecting it... I ordered my DC700 with it and some Option 50's and it came with a Carvin logo. could have sent it back but not worth it. Also, it is a custom shop, pay them and I'm sure they'll put Carvin on a Kiesel model. hell, my SCB7 is a Carvin haha

JSanta

Reaction score
Bought my first Carvin in 2003, and my second just this past summer. Why it took me 12 years to get another I will never understand. I will say, the quality on my first is no worse than what I just got. Built superbly, and with what is for me, nearly a perfect neck. The only neck I like more is my Eastman archtop 7 string, but that is chunkier than I am sure most people here would like.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
also if you want the Kiesel name on your Carvin guitar, don't hold your breath expecting it... I ordered my DC700 with it and some Option 50's and it came with a Carvin logo. could have sent it back but not worth it. Also, it is a custom shop, pay them and I'm sure they'll put Carvin on a Kiesel model. hell, my SCB7 is a Carvin haha
Yeah - That's why I put "officially" in quotes. They'll even build you guitars that logistically won't work, so long as you pay the upcharge:

CarvinGuitars.com BBS :: View topic - New Carvin DC600 Disappointment

SouthpawGuy

Reaction score
I have two lefty Carvins, an H2T and a CT6. Both were bought used, the fit and finish, quality is excellent on both.

Holdsworth
9573766913_a312362efb_o.jpg

9576562976_1c226f69db_o.jpg

CT6
9574978469_4e09005630_o.jpg

9574977745_c6d31f69a9_o.jpg

The Holdsworth is stock, the CT6 has high output Duncan fitted in the photos but now has P-Rails and triple shot switching rings installed. The top on the CT6 is insane, but as a lefty used to "black only" guitars it is most excellent

The CT6 stacks up very well against the competition. Probably one of the hardest types of guitar to find left handed is a set neck, carved top, double cutaway, twin humbucker with a fixed tailpiece. There really aren't that many. The CT6 is at least as good as my '99 PRS McCarty but not quite at the same level as my '00s Hamer USA Studios.

Hamer Studio mahogany ( mahogany body and top )
9573874325_357b9bfe3f_o.jpg

9573875035_48a7495966_o.jpg

Hamer Studio Custom
9573862935_113c1afb64_o.jpg

9573862567_d07611451c_o.jpg

The Studio mahogany is stock, the Custom was modded by the previous owner ... tuner buttons and new pickups

And a wildcard ... Heritage 170
14649793734_727d016e78_o.jpg

15983447794_48bc9a3da8_o.jpg

The Heritage also has P-Rails and a new bridge and tailpiece.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
I would also do a little research on Carvin/Kiesel necks. If you like thinner profiles like Ibanez and ESP the neck carve on Kiesels may not be your thing.:2c:

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Yeah - That's why I put "officially" in quotes. They'll even build you guitars that logistically won't work, so long as you pay the upcharge:

CarvinGuitars.com BBS :: View topic - New Carvin DC600 Disappointment

Yep, that was my thread on the Carvin board. My guitar was beautiful but had other problems besides the radius mismatch. Open string buzz, and a couple spots higher up that fretted out on slight bends. Had to send it back and they refretted it because I think they neglected to put in the stainless steel frets in the first place like I requested. Took over a month to get the guitar back after sending it, customer service was terrible, may have just been my sales rep I don't know. Long story short I just sold the guitar at a loss and won't be ordering from Kiesel/Carvin again.

Latest posts

')