How are you guys finding your M8Ms?

• Thread starter Mantra46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mantra46

Reaction score
How are those of you with M8Ms finding them?

Got mine, sweet as but i get a bit of fret buzz... should i try raising the action? (is it easy on these guitars? haven't tried it yet was a bit scared of touching anyhting in case i fd it up lol).

Also, 8th string broke a few weeks in so i replaced with a 74 does that sound like it would be ok with the remaining standard strings or will i need to change the other strings if i want to stick to a 74?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
A 74 should be fine :yesway: I find it kinda funny how the 6th Eb on that guitar is a 46, then they have a 52 for the Bb. Honestly, I'd do something more like a 9-42 with a 54 and 74 (so D'Addario's 9-54 seven string set with a single 74).

So, yeah. A 74 is definitely okay :) Worst case you might need to intonate it again, but that's it.

Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what did you guys pay for the m8m? Ive seen them retail @ $6000, but what is the actual street price?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what did you guys pay for the m8m? Ive seen them retail @ $6000, but what is the actual street price?

The retail price is $8000 and the MAP (minimum advertised price) is $6000. The MAP is pretty much the street price unless you have an "in" with a dealer.

Meddl

Reaction score
holy...mother of 8strings..

DAT price (unless this guitar is a really beauty).

is it worth the money?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
holy...mother of 8strings..

DAT price (unless this guitar is a really beauty).

is it worth the money?

Obvuously it is to the several folks on this very forum who own one, and in one case own two. :yesway:

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
.074 should be good, I use .070 - .008... I've actually bonded really well with mine. paid $4200 for it off ebay, but got a $4800 cash quote from rich at ibanezrules in case I lost the auction. pricey but definitely worth it to me since I play it exclusively. it's close enough to what i'd want out of a custom guitar but without the horrendous wait time. as far as quality is concerned, it really does stand apart from my other production ibbys.

Mantra46

Reaction score
A 74 should be fine :yesway: I find it kinda funny how the 6th Eb on that guitar is a 46, then they have a 52 for the Bb. Honestly, I'd do something more like a 9-42 with a 54 and 74 (so D'Addario's 9-54 seven string set with a single 74).

So, yeah. A 74 is definitely okay :) Worst case you might need to intonate it again, but that's it.

Cheers guys... stupid question but how will i know if the intonation needs a tune up?

Also is anyone running one of these with an axe fx2 and could give me some tips on getting clean crisp but heavy tone?

Mantra46

Reaction score
Also, yes mine was 6k but that included shipping & tax to get it into Australia... they seem to be 8-9k if you try to get them retail here (lol).

But it's awesome - never could find the right balance with the 2228 of getting enough tension without having strings so fat that it was like a bass.... but the longer neck allows lower gauge strings so still plays like a guitar

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
You might like 'mark day's hbe' preset. I bypassed the reverb / delay and tweaked the gain back.

LoopQuantum

Reaction score
.074 should be good, I use .070 - .008... I've actually bonded really well with mine. paid $4200 for it off ebay, but got a $4800 cash quote from rich at ibanezrules in case I lost the auction. pricey but definitely worth it to me since I play it exclusively. it's close enough to what i'd want out of a custom guitar but without the horrendous wait time. as far as quality is concerned, it really does stand apart from my other production ibbys.

You ended up with the one that was in my possession for a time. I remember watching the ebay auction, and waiting for the corresponding SSO NGD thread. :lol:

God, I loved that guitar so much.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
word, I even gave you a shout-out in the NGD thread. at first the longer scale was awkward, but now I like it. had to learn to avoid 5 fret stretches form the first position :lol: transposing all of my original stuff to drop E was a lot of fun. i'm forced to use more of the neck and in some cases different inversions, which i like.

it was really well set up out of the box, didn't have to make any adjustments for the lighter strings i'd put on. fretted notes sustain like open notes and there are no dead spots. the pickup translates well with my current presets. i compared the resistance values to my q-tuners and they're pretty close. the m8 is warmer, but i'm tempted to see what it would sound like modded with neodymium magnets and sealed in epoxy.

it's too bad i can't afford another, there's one on sale in the classifieds and i want it.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I'd love to own but I don't think I'm quite advanced enough to pay 6k for a guitar yet. Don't the m8m's have 30in scales? Wouldn't a .74 be a little to heavy since the scale is so long? Please correct if I'm wrong.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
No, mine showed up with a .074. Nice and tight, but I wanted less tension.

Reaction score
Cheers guys... stupid question but how will i know if the intonation needs a tune up?
Basically you need to intonate your instrument when you're not getting the right notes at right frets, i.e. the notes shift up or down the neck.
Easy way to check if you need to intonate your instrument is to check for the natural harmonics at the 12th & 24th frets and see if they have moved up or down along the string!

FruitCakeRonin

ss.reg orgular
Reaction score
I usually think of the last place I saw it then then go look for it there...

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
I don't regret buying one, It has become my workhorse. I also use it with an AxeFX, as far as nice clean tones the best place to check out is on AxeChange, you can find a lot of cool tones out there, also gives you a template or idea to mess with.

Latest posts

')