How can I acheive that smooth distortion

• Thread starter xlabambax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markgov

Reaction score
do more stereo tracking and what are you using for guitars? micd amp or pod? if its a pod then just find a good preset online if its an amp play around with amp settings and mic placement. Also if its an amp, the speaker which you are micing has a big impact on your overall sound. Most people prefer vintage 30 speackers for their warmth and mid range. Sorry about my typing, I am really sleepy, drunk and partially blind at the moment lol. If you need any more help feel free to ask. Oh yea and after you get a decent sound with your amp or pod thingy, post eq in your daw as well as other plugins can play a huge roll in making it sound less fizzy and rough. Check out this guy's tutorials its on cubase but it should work around the same for any other daw

Raayl

Reaction score
the tone sounds dec to me on that track, but it's really all in the EQ.

digital guitar modeling usually has that characteristic high end "fizz" that you may need to do some work on to get rid of.

run any EQ spectrum analysis, and try this out:

create a "notch" band, a band that is all the way up but has a narrow bandwith. then drag this notch across the EQ spectrum while the track is playing until you isolate the "fizzy" sound you want to remove from your track. once you find it, it's just a matter of notching it out. drop the same narrow band down until you find a spot where the fizz is gone but the tone remains.

most guitar VSTs are gonna have dec presets that will take care of this for you, but you can def. build your own tone using basic engineering tools.

also definitely include a noise gate somewhere in your chain. personally i like to start the chain (pre-amp) on my line6 podhd500 with a hard noise gate. this way you can play nice and tight even with a high amount of distortion. (more distortion, more string noise.)

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Yeah dude. Bass is essential to fill the low-end gap. You can only go so far with just guitars and drums.

Your tone is good, simple as that. It has a good low- and high end balance, although whatever cab you're using is putting emphasis around the 5.8kHz area. Attenuate this with a narrow peak band as Raayl suggests and it'll smoothen the distortion. Just 3-5dB of attenuation is more than enough. The goal is not to completely remove those areas of frequencies, only to set them on par with the rest of the high end.

And whenever you attenuate big amounts to shape a sound, do so while listening to the mix as a full and not with the rhythm tracks soloed. They WILL fool your ears.

')