How come some (or most?) seven players don't like TOMs with stop-tails?

• Thread starter Shenaniganizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BurialWithin

NAM SAND!!
Reaction score
i have a sim's 7621 that i had routed for a recessed tom and string thru...no stop piece. I just like the cleaner look of string thru.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
My Schecter C-7 blackjack that i used to own had a string thru TOM. i didn't like it because:
1: the individual string height wasn't adjustable
!

this right here is what seals the deal for me:noway:. nothing to do with sound or comfort. i have played plenty of TOM guitars that are both comfortable and sound good. but i must be able to adjust EACH strings height:shred: suppose you just decide you want a fatter string for your lowest cuz you want xBRO0tALzx xdropcorex xtuningzx. well instead of just raising the string you replaced you have to raise the other top strings also.:wallbash:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many wraparounds have the same adjustability as a TOM. Wraparounds sound way better, are easier to bend notes with, stay in tune better, and have a cleaner look than a TOM.

Yes, I am a Tune-O-Matic hater. It has nothing to do with me recently becoming addicted to 7-string guitars. String-through, trapeze tailpiece (although this is necessary on hollow guitars), post-mounted stoptail, those great-looking V-shaped tailpieces, any application of TOM sucks.

Of course there is a long history of great guitars with TOMs! There are millions of people who love TOMs for real reasons. But the simple physics of a TOM are less than optimal for tone, sustain, and bending. My experience with wraparounds & Floyds has always been great---way better than those damn Tune-O-Matics.

Nice rant, 99.9% subjective, but nice rant. So who is making a seven string wraparound bridge? Seriously, I've got a future guitar I'd love to put one on, but nobody I've seen is making them.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I have been seeing one on eBay. I think it's from Allparts.

I have only used 6-string wraparounds, my favorite being the Leo Quan Badass.

pink freud

Reaction score
I prefer the convenience of the Fender-style hardtail. Plus it lays flatter on the body.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I prefer the convenience of the Fender-style hardtail. Plus it lays flatter on the body.

I hear that. They're also very adjustable. I said they suck earlier, and they're not my favorite, but they definitely have some desirable qualiies.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been seeing one on eBay. I think it's from Allparts.

I have only used 6-string wraparounds, my favorite being the Leo Quan Badass.

Looks like it's an ABM sold through Allparts... got an email in to them to verify it's a wraparound. If it is I think there's a DCii-7 in my future :hbang:

That said, to keep this remotely on topic, I don't mind TOM bridges at all. I've got two KxKs with recessed TOMs and they work great.

All this bridge bigotry... can't we all just get along? :rofl:

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I admit that I play TOMs but I do hate the TOMs with stop tails. I feel like TOMs with stop tails are harder to play and adjust...also uglier

troyguitar

Reaction score
I could have made anything I wanted, but that was the fastest and cheapest thing to do. The main advantage I figured I might have from the top-loading was slightly less tension on the .007 string (and it seems to have held up nicely, but I've never tried one in another configuration yet - I should have one in a string-thru 9 sometime soon to compare).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love the Tone Pros bridges on all my customs, never had any issues. My guitars never go out of tune and I have no issues with intonation, ease of bends, etc. I stock many guitars with the wrap-around style and while they're nice, I've seen zero benefits thus far.

That said I think the best bridge in the world is the Parker Fly bridge. Low profile, stainless steel, superb sustain, amazing intonation, can switch between fully floating/dive-only/fixed with the flick of a switch, piezos, etc. I wish there was a 7-string version of it, or something like it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Because I think the tailpiece looks retarded in anything but a Gibson and I don't even like tuneomatics to begin with (they're too far away from the body which screws my packing angle and I don't like angled necks either).

Recessed TOMs are another stoy, though...

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In addition to the cosmetics (i prefer the cleaner look of ferrules rather than a Stoptail), neck angle is also a factor.

The TOM/Stoptail setup was designed for LP-style guitars that have quite a bit of neck angle. This means the bridge is set up quite high above the face of the body, and the stop tail can be set lower in order to apply enough downward pressure across the bridge to keep the strings from popping out with heavy playing.

Most seven string guitars are designed with very little neck angle (or none at all) meaning a Tune-o-Matic bridge will be set much lower, or even recessed into the body. When the bridge is this low, a Stoptail is too high to provide adequate downward pressure behind the bridge. Thus, running the strings through the body is the only way to go.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
Wraparounds are much more massive, solid, and better looking than a stamped steel fixed bridge held on with wood screws. But it's pretty clear they are not very available for 7-string.

I think the coolest one of those flat-mount fixed bridges I have ever seen is the one Mako's Tethan made out of a big piece of rectangular steel tubing!

')