How did you start playing 7-strings?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
While watching Wayne's World one of my favorite parts is when he went a bought the Fender, and I was like. doood, I want that too. So ever since then I always wanted to play guitar. I never thought about 7 right away, but when I played one that a friend had I knew I wanted one. So I looked at Ebay were he got his at and I seen the S7420FMTT and wanted that, but I wanted it new. Ordered one from American Musical and got the S7420FMTW instead. Hardly play a 6 now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I got into the seven string when I heard Steve Vai. I wanted one for years then I found my UV777GR. I got it in 1995. When I took it from the store to try out, I went to a friends house to jam they happened to have a black light on. When I took the guitar out everybody in the room was freaked out how damn cool the seven string looked as it lit up with flourescent colors. I knew at that moment,that bitch is mine. I have been obsessed since. I can't seem to ever have enough seven strings. They were hard to find back then then a few years later they were every where. Now it is back where I started. I am glad to find a web site that shows just how serious we feel about the seven string. To talk with other seven string soldiers is great. Best website so far I have ever been a part of.
James R. Powell III

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I had been a fan of the sound of a 5-string bass since the late '80s. I didn't really listen to any detuned music until a few years ago, an when i started playing with my current band, i thought the extended range of a 7-string guitar would be fun to explore.

I love heavy riffing, but i also love the sound of barre chords played across all 7 strings.

Playing a 7 also keeps other people's grubby mitts off my guitars. ;)

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
ok so I have to admit shred music and steve vai does nothing for me (guess that makes me a freak amongst you lot right :p)

For me the most important thing is the song, the chord progressions, and the riffs!!! I'd much rather record a memorable riff than a memorable solo, in fact in my current band as I'm the only guitarist I dont even do solos :p

Anyways, I got into bands like Deicide, Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse etc etc when i was younger - used to be in a death band called Babies With Rabies in the early 90s, playing guitars tuned to d. Went indie mainstream for a while but recently came back to the likes of Coal Chamber, Korn, Deftones, Fear Factory, Helmet (although I've always liked Page's riffing). Have two identical Jackson Soloists, on in Drop D and one in Drop C, and recently invested in my first 7 which I'm planning to take to Drop A.

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
I listened to The Mirror, Lie, The Glass Prison, and The Dance of eternity. After that, my life changed... well, not really, but I bought one.. I really thought I was going to be like the female john petrucci (yeah sure) but then I started to really getting into it.. and I recently order a Blue Schecter C7 with dimarzios EVO =) im really happy!

shid007

Reaction score
Naren said:
Exactamundo, my friend. That's why I can't understand why people bash seven strings. It's got everything a 6-string has, plus more. I often tend to play my seven off the open E like on a six, but instead of only using the higher six strings, I also go to the lower string as well. Adds a whole new dimension.

Heck, if I played in a cover band, I'd use the seven anyway and just not use the low B string except for improvised fills or cover songs that are in dropped tunings (drop-D, drop-C, drop-B) or are originally on a seven. I like the fact you can play a drop-D song on a seven without re-tuning (some dropped songs can be a little hard to play on a seven, but they can be done. Others are just as easy on the seven).

I don`t think that everything is playable on seven. For exaple Rain song from Led Zeppelin...:hbang:

Zane

7newb
Reaction score
I know nu-metal gets bashed bad here but the reason i started playing guitar was because a friend gave me a korn hits CD and i loved the heavy riffs they put out and there image and i just needed to play guitar, when i got my first electric i went online to look for some tabs for korn and noticed they were for seven string guitars so i looked them up but the cheapes guitar i could find was 400$ and being a 14 year old country boy miles from civilization and young i couldnt get one, a year later i had a "job" and bought a WG-587
and so far so good, im impressed.

2powern

Maiden England
Reaction score
After hearing Where The Slime Live by Morbid Angel.

I'd semi-wanted one before that, but that song made it all click.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard Dream Theater's "AS I Am" and I thought hmmmmmmmmm that sounds pretty freaking good,
then Petrucci put out his solo CD and I liked that too, but I still wasn't moved to
actually try a 7 string until a guy I work with came over to my desk and
handed me a cd and listen to this, I mean really listen to this a couple of
times in a row and tell me it's not the most kick ass technical music you've ever heard.
well that CD was the remix of "Enemies of Reality"
(BTW Van Williams is just awesome on EOR)
After hearing Loomis rip it up and lay down those crushing riffs,
I knew I had to try one.
Then once I heard "This Godless Endeavor" there was no turning back.
Now I'm freaking hooked, a 6 string seems like it's a "light" guitar to me now.

Now that I've got my Hellraiser I actually have a 7 that is comfortable to
shred on I'm completely stoked. If it had a floyd on it ,I 'd be in heaven.
I wish they'd release a floyded verion of this. (with a maple board :idea: )
I't funny my main guitar for the last few years has been a 2001 Jackson SL2H soloist, and the neck on mine is chunkier than any other soloist I've ever played. You either love it or you hate it. The hellraiser neck profile feels really similar to my Jackson, just wider. I took to it the second I picked it up. :hbang:

Code001

Reaction score
Dream Theater, Adagio and Nevermore are what drew me towards 7 string guitars. I first got my 7 string in June of 05 so I've been playing them for a little over a year now. I simply love the range it offers without being too hard to transition between 6 and 7. I need another 7 string for Bb though. :D

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to be a member on Taboramaforum.com before their site got shut down by the MPA... One of the guys there did a few recordings with his UV, particularly a cover of "Dave's Party Piece" which prompted me to check out Dave Weiner. After hearing some of his stuff and checking out other 7 string artists, I decided that I wanted one but wanted to play one before I bought one though, which made getting one difficult. Then one day I decided to go to a music shop to get a fender strat (something else that is still on my to-buy list) and noticed an RG7 on the wall. Picked it up and ended up buying it on the spot.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
For me, it was a combination of Dream Theater's Awake, Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare, and Fear Factory's Demanufacture (even though Dino used a six tuned down) that influenced me to play a seven. I bought it from Sam Ash in 1998, my senior year of high school, and I instantly became the coolest kid in school (in my own mind, lol). The seven-string to me is the ultimate compositional tool because it's like a having the range of a mini-piano.

Sebastian

Reaction score
FEAR FACTORY all the way... but its Christian Olde Wolbers that truly inspired me to play 7 strings.. although he inspired me to play the guitar...

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
Well, i've been tuning down on sixer for quite some time and wanted a seven to have the full range on my hand without sacrificing the high string.
Time was right, i had money on my hand, and a Jackson DR-7 was on ebay. I got if for a good price, upgraded the pups and electronics, gave it a good setup, and now i love it.
The bigger range is very useful, and i'm probably not gonna buy another six string anytime soon(except for an Amott V which is still one of the coolest guits on earth)

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
More or less, it was a bribe to move to South Carolina:lol:

But I was a Dream Theater fan and aspiring guitar player at the time, so I was deffinently interested in trying one. Once we got down here, my dad ordered my Schecter, even though I wanted an Ibanez with a Floyd. He told me that a Floyd was a lot of hassle, so I went with the Schecter. The Schecter is amazing. I still have my tele, but I pick up the Schecter pretty much every time, now.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to Rusty Cooley got me into the 7 string sound. I had a fasination with it.

But it was a friend of mine who really made me want one. He bought a 5 string bass and i got him to play some lower notes to make our songs sound heavier. As soon as he played that low B i knew i had to get a 7 string.

petruccirocks02

EBMM/MESA User
Reaction score
I had heard of 7 string guitars before, but never really considered playing one. Then one day I my friend put 6DOIT in the cd player. When I heard The Glass Prison, I was absolutely amazed at how good the guitar sounded on that song and how the low B was so fat sounding. A few months after that I started working at Hoshino USA and bought an Ibanez RG7321. After a week I took it back cuz I didn't like the neck. About 2 months ago I got my RG1527 that now has a D-Sonic 7 & an Air Norton 7 in it. Now I'm hooked and needless to say I barely play my 6's. I'm a 7 string player for life.

METAL_ZONE

Reaction score
In one of my guitar books, it mentioned 7 strings and I found out Korn used them. I was always tuning lower so there was never a doubt in my mind about getting one. a couple years later i got a schecter c7 blackjack.

')