How do amps without effects loops do with pedals?

• Thread starter Upgrayedd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Hi, I'd really like to get a small 1w practice amp for my townhouse. I used to have an HT5 at my old house and was surprised at how loud that was, but liked having an effects loops for pedals. Does anybody here use delay effects with an HT1 or a similar amp, how does it turn out? I could allways run the headphones with an HT5, but I prefer not wearing them.

I've also seen the Marshall 50th anniversary combos/heads that go down to .1w but the price is higher. I'm wondering if I'm overthinking something like this or if it would be easier to just stick with a small solid state. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Two Ds for a double dose of pimpin'? :lol:

Sorry, back on topic. I haven't had the opportunity to try either of the amps you mentioned but one you may want to check out given the chance is the Laney IRT studio. It's a pretty phenomenal amp imo. You have the choice of 15w or <1w inputs and it is incredibly tweakable and versatile.

The downside i suppose is that it's a head and you'll need a cab for anything more than headphone jams or direct recording.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check that out! A small cab wouldn't be a problem either so it is definitely an option.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
If you don't have a loop, most people just use the clean channel and use pedals for all sounds. For instance: [Guitar > Big Muff Pi > Delay > Amp] instead of [Guitar > TS808 > Amp's Preamp > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Amp's Power Amp]

It's just the compromise you have to make :(

Otherwise, delays and stuff can still sound good as long you're not on some super high-gain setting on your amp. There's some middle ground, but very little. It's best to use the effects loop.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Because honestly, if everyone had a Mesa Boogie Mark V (or IV), no none would buy any of the gajillions of dirt boxes out there :)

tedtan

Reaction score
I like analog delays in front of the amp, but I haven't tried digital delays there so I can't comment on them. And modulation pedals works well in front of the amp, too. In fact, prefer phasers and flangers in front of the amp to in the loop - they're more subtle.

MIL8

Reaction score
In my experience as long as you are not using the amp for any distortion or mid to high gain overdrive it will sound fine. The problem is when you start adding distortion after your effects. I have a Fender Vibrolux Reverb which is only clean and has no FX loop. I run 3 OD pedals, 1 distortion pedal, 1 delay, 1 chorus, and it all sounds fantastic.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The Randall Diavlo 1 and 5 watt heads have effects loops. They don't have a regular 3-band EQ, but you could throw a 7 or 10 band EQ in the loop for more shaping.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Maybe you can do a little acoustic treatment to help even out your 5w. It's pretty easy to make panels. They wont necessarily suck up all the volume but they could help.

What do you run in your FX loop? It probably wouldnt be the end of the world to run your delay up front. Plenty of people do it.

Panels... maybe $25 to one ($3 wood, $15 OC, $7 fancy threads, some screws and some spray paint)

10489743_10152618486968035_5266935040535837802_n.jpg

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Like stated above, lots of people run their pedals in front of their clean channels, and personally I like the way it sounds :)

Delay in front of high gain doesn't sound all that good to me, but it's not unbearable. My good friend Bryce actually runs his delay right in front of his Marshall, and he loves it.

Latest posts

')