How do i convince my friend to buy albums and stop torrenting?

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
As the name states, im sick of everyone on my facebook feed post their massive illigal music collections, then stating it isnt hindering the artist. And that its good for the music insutry..
Its really fucking pissing me off

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink. Ignore it or stop being their friends if it bothers you that much. :shrug:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Talk to them about it. They probably don't think of the consequences!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:lol:

God forbid they expect some sort of return for their hard work, right? That's not the reason most people have jobs or anything...

Does your friend have a job? Put that same logic to him as it relates to his job. See how he feels about that.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I tend to worry about myself and leave others to worry about themselves.

If it pisses you off, tell him it pisses you off then move on.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this shit again?

There is two sides, support your own, just know there is another side that disagrees with your own. There is good and bad aspects to both.

Edit: If it pisses you off, then your doing it wrong. Yes, them flaunting their massive illegal downloads like its a holier than thou sort of thing would piss me off too. But if they download the music they listen to then that is the path they chose, don't let such a first world problem of someone else's life affect you.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
:lol:

God forbid they expect some sort of return for their hard work, right? That's not the reason most people have jobs or anything...

Does your friend have a job? Put that same logic to him as it relates to his job. See how he feels about that.
He does not have a job, (i know suprising) but he thinksthat because he made 3 albums, he is entiyled to all the free music he wants.

Edit: the ablums are shitty electronic bass heavy things, to listen to when stoned, he made it on torrented software.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
He does not have a job, (i know suprising) but he thinksthat because he made 3 albums, he is entiyled to all the free music he wants.

Well at least he contributed something. He has access to, not entitled to.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
You're not gunna stop torrenting. Bands know that music is going to be illegally downloaded so they just make their stuff available for free on youtube (Sumerian), Soundcloud, Bandcamp, etc. I'm not dropping $10 on a CD because I heard one song I like and can't hear the rest - this is the trap of pop music. I am extremely selective with the music I listen to, I'm not one of those "yeah that one song is good" people, I need the whole album. Music downloads allow me to test-drive music. If it's a good album I buy it, if not I delete it and move on. So don't get too pissed off about music downloads (White Knight much?) when the simple fact is they aren't going anywhere, and for the majority of people they can actually be beneficial. There will always be jackasses who exploit the system, but that's inevitable regardless of what the system is.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I listen to them for free on Youtube AND end up buying them a lot of the time anyway. :shrug:

I usually buy the albums because if it IS good I'd like the artist to be able to keep making music and I don't really have the money or time to go to all of their shows.

It's not that I want to encourage torrenters, but my *hope* is that there are enough folks like me that the torrenters don't matter as much.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
They would have to find music that they truly love, something that is more than a bit of entertainment with a couple of songs they like.

If someone really loves an artist and still downloads..that I don't understand.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
They would have to find music that they truly love, something that is more than a bit of entertainment with a couple of songs they like.

If someone really loves an artist and still downloads..that I don't understand.

Bingo :yesway:

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
These people are stupid..
First he says music is the lessest of all art forms. And as such feels he can download it for free, because a video game is twice the price and better.
Then he says that wants to pay $10 for CDs, but doesnt want them from bandcamp.

I just ended up deleting him..

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Stealing music is as infantile as taking money from your grandma's purse.

People can come up with all sorts of reasons to justify what they know is wrong, they are lying to themselves and if someone stole from him how would he feel?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink. Ignore it or stop being their friends if it bothers you that much. :shrug:

+1
I have a friend that committed a couple of grey area crimes/ethical violations, and it irritated me enough that I just stopped hanging out with him. There was no convincing him I was right, and the issue was too big of a deal to me to let it slide, so that was that.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
roca.jpg

')