How do i convince my friend to buy albums and stop torrenting?

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xFallen

Reaction score
Honestly you can't it's too hard to pull someone away from the something when you say "You can spend $10 on this album instead of downloading it for free." it's wrong ,but something you can't really stop :L

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
The people who torrent shit were never going to buy it anyway, they just wouldn't listen to it.
huh?

I torrent music.

I own ~500 cds and a whole ton of records. I can say I probably wouldnt have bought so many albums if I didn't torrent and find bands and music I enjoyed but shit just downloading and never buying is weak.

Also go to fucking shows and buy merch from the band.

aturaya

Reaction score
he's not going to stop torrenting lol. just tell him to go to shows and buy merch, that way he gets something physical for his money and supports the band even more. nobody wants to buy something that they can easily get for free like that unless they have that close of a sentimental attachment to the band. hell, he might even buy a CD if he goes to a show too and that goes directly to the band.

Overtone

Reaction score
Agree to disagree and just be yourself. If he sees you supporting the bands you like and having enough respect for music to put money into a collection that is yours to own, and doesn't feel in any way that your approach has its merits then he probably has deeper issues.

wlfers

Reaction score
who shows off a collection of downloaded music?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
who shows off a collection of downloaded music?

Everyone I know :scratch: Seems all young people these days are crazy about their itunes/ipod with 50,000 low quality downloaded songs that they will never listen to. At least some of them care to organise it nicely..

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Law enforcement. That is all.

Let the law know and they'll take care of it. I personally buy all my CD's. Fuck torrents and even Itunes I want the disc so it can go in my stereo.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to not worry so much about what your friend does. Yeah torrenting and never buying music from the artist is lamesauce, but there's nothing you can really do to stop him. All you worrying about it will do is leave you worrying about stuff you can't control. So leave him be. If you feel that strongly about it, quit hanging out with him. :2c:

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Don't bother. Once a thief (and yes, pirates are thieves), always a thief. I've tried to convince pirates to stop but they simply don't give a shit. They can't be persuaded by any kind of logical or moral argument because most of them have the mind of a five-year-old. They want what they want when they want it and to hell with everyone and everything else.

troyguitar

Reaction score
No one has ever proven that torrenting shit hurts musicians. You guys who act like people are torrenting shit instead of buying it are presenting a false dichotomy. Torrenting a CD does NOT mean that one would have purchased it if torrenting were not an option. That is a plainly stupid assumption.

So a kid has 50000 torrented songs, that's roughly $50000 or more worth of CD's. Are you really arguing that some broke ass kid would have magically found $50000 to spend on CD's? More likely scenario: he just wouldn't buy the stuff. In either case, he is not giving the artists any money. How does not buying a CD hurt the artists more than not buying a CD?

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
No one has ever proven that torrenting shit hurts musicians. You guys who act like people are torrenting shit instead of buying it are presenting a false dichotomy. Torrenting a CD does NOT mean that one would have purchased it if torrenting were not an option. That is a plainly stupid assumption.

So a kid has 50000 torrented songs, that's roughly $50000 or more worth of CD's. Are you really arguing that some broke ass kid would have magically found $50000 to spend on CD's? More likely scenario: he just wouldn't buy the stuff. In either case, he is not giving the artists any money. How does not buying a CD hurt the artists more than not buying a CD?

It's thievery regardless of whether or not the pirate would have bought the music. If you don't purchase it, then you're not entitled to listen to it. I think that's the key word here. Entitled. Pirates think that they are entitled to whatever they want. They are like spoiled little children. The fact is that you are entitled to exactly jack shit in this life. If you can't afford something, or are unwilling to buy something, then you can't have it. Pirates need to grow the fuck up.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah of course they wouldn't buy the whole lot. My problem is with people that don't even buy the albums of the bands they consider themselves a fan of.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him pull out his wallet and pay for it because it's so easy to get.

Overtone

Reaction score
If it does come up again and he says something about how nowadays it's all about touring you should remind him that many bands have lost SERIOUS money touring, not because they didn't play well, market the shows, work out their payments, etc. well enough, but because of bad luck with vehicles, immigration papers, venues, natural disasters, etc.. Honestly the only bands that can afford to have all contingencies covered (ie. are insured against these events, have water tight contracts where they get paid for rained out gigs, have health insurance that'll help in case of an accident etc) are big names part of a big label. While an independent band CAN make most of their money touring, they can also lose a lot of money on yours even if they are a good band in every way imaginable. More album sales = a label willing to support your tours with more resources = a more steady livelihood.

troyguitar

Reaction score
It's thievery regardless of whether or not the pirate would have bought the music. If you don't purchase it, then you're not entitled to listen to it. I think that's the key word here. Entitled. Pirates think that they are entitled to whatever they want. They are like spoiled little children. The fact is that you are entitled to exactly jack shit in this life. If you can't afford something, or are unwilling to buy something, then you can't have it. Pirates need to grow the fuck up.

The fact that it is wrong does not prove that it hurts artists in any way. Did you read my post? There were no claims in there about right and wrong or entitlement, legality, maturity...

I'll grant that pirating is illegal and probably wrong, but the claim that it hurts content creators financially has never been proven. A billion people pirating your CD does not mean you lost a billion sales, that is asinine.

Mexi

Reaction score
People can come up with all sorts of reasons to justify what they know is wrong, they are lying to themselves and if someone stole from him how would he feel?

The real difference here is how individuals are perceiving this loss. Some people believe that because the band has generally been compensated through touring or through other album sales they think it's just one more torrent so what does it matter? obviously these are misguided sentiments but it speaks to how some people value/devalue art by purely monetary means. a "physical" cd is worth something, whereas data compiled in mp3 format is not?

and really, lots of people who download illegally/torrent don't even bother justifying it because they know it is inherently wrong but continue to do so because it is commonplace. once negative behaviour is normalized, it isn't seen negatively. lots of people grew up with napster and other "file-sharing" programs that really shaped how they valued the worth of music, for better or for worse. and when you have a decade's worth of a culture around file-sharing/illegal downloading that doesn't really bat an eye, you're fighting an uphill battle.

to the OP: bottom line, learn to put up with it, stop caring so much about what other people do in their lives or get better friends.

Latest posts

')