How do i get a modern metal sound with the ENGL Invader 150?

• Thread starter jin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jin

:D
Reaction score
HELP!

So i tested an ENGL invader 150 but i dont know why i cant get a modern metal sound out of it. Firstly, i didnt care about channel 1 as its for cleans but i just went straight to channel 3 and i was dissappointed as most people say it has alot of gain but once i hit the 12'o clock mark there is a loud hum already. I tested the amp at a volume of about 2 i think but i dont think that engl would sound that crappy even at low volumes. The gain is more than enough for rock music but for metal i really dont know how to achieve a thick chugging sound.I played with the amp for an hour only and i tried moving mostly channel 3 eq and the general eq such as depth,prescence,high gain but i think bright works only for 2 channels right?

So how do you people get the most metal tone out of the invader? Must i use a tubescreamer??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Are you running active pickups?
This MIGHT give you that modern sound and cure alot of the noise.
Would be about the cost of a pedal or two though anyway, so not much cost advantage.

jin

Reaction score
I used a gibson SG with humbuckers....My schecter has EMGs but i did not bring it along. I would even say that my shjitty practice amp sounds better than most tones there LOL in terms of metal.

What i want is maybe a nevermore kind of sound?(Not the DHIADW sound i know thats impossible because its dual recti+tubescreamer)

jin

Reaction score
What cab are you using?

I think is was a THD that cost 1440+ im not sure though. BTW stealth whats FUBAR?lol

Edit: Nvm stealth i googled it. I wouldnt know if the tube is FUBAR because im not experienced with tube amps :) BUt if a tube is blown wouldnt there be no sound?

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I think is was a THD that cost 1440+ im not sure though. BTW stealth whats FUBAR?lol

Edit: Nvm stealth i googled it. I wouldnt know if the tube is FUBAR because im not experienced with tube amps :) BUt if a tube is blown wouldnt there be no sound?

I believe kreator has used these along with many death metal acts.

I saw a vid were dying fetus was using them and they use A LOT of gain.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I think is was a THD that cost 1440+ im not sure though.

I must admit, I have never seen - let alone HEARD - a THD cab in person. Just be aware that the price alone doesnt say anything about if it will fit your setup. And seeing as you tested on very low volumes -if it is a more "high powered" cab, it will sound even worse on low volumes (if the speakers arent "pushed" enough).

I have just now seen - you didnt test the amp with your gutiar obivously. I say, take your own guitar and go back to the store and try it again.

One question you could still answer maybe - there is a Low/High-Gain swtich...was it on high gain?

But even if, seriously, try an amp ONLY with your own guitar, and with nothing else.. and if anyhow possible with your cab or one that is as close to yours as it can get. Everything else wont even give you an idea of what the amp really sounds like.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I've seen more than one person say this about the Invader....that it isn't as 'metal' as the other ENGL's. You never see someone say that about the Savage, Powerball, or Fireball.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen more than one person say this about the Invader....that it isn't as 'metal' as the other ENGL's.

If they're saying that they probably have it dialed in incorrectly, I've owned both the SE and the Invader and I would not call the Invader any less "metal" than the rest of the Engl line.

To the OP it sounds like you either a) don't get that a tube amp and a practice solid state amp are going to sound VERY different or b) you have it dialed in wrong. Whether it's your expectation of the amp or inability to dial in the tone you're looking for, it's probably not the amp unless someone broke it. :2c:

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
If they're saying that they probably have it dialed in incorrectly, I've owned both the SE and the Invader and I would not call the Invader any less "metal" than the rest of the Engl line.

I'll admit that the only ENGL gear I own is the e530. One of these days, I'll get around to trying an Invader first hand.

More or less 'metal' probably isn't the right term. After all, that term means different things to different people.

I've just seen people post on here with mixed experiences with the Invader, mostly because it was not what they expected. In contrast, it seems like most people that plug into a Savage go, "Hot Damn!" instantly.

All that being said, the OP might just be 'doing it wrong' :lol:

Brian D

Reaction score
Turn it on

Yeah.

ENGLs have ridiculous amounts of gain on tap, and 150 watts might need to get decently cranked to sound like it should...but either way, ch. 3 should undoubtedly offer enough gain for your needs.

What kind of guitar are you using? Another big problem may be in your technique. If you don't play very hard and mean, and depend on your amp to give you a crunchy thick tone, you're going to be upset

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Isn't this the amp that Muhhamed from Necrophagist was gigging with? I didn't take note when I saw them live a few years ago, but there tone was on point.

Maybe it's broken?

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
i think it's your cab.

the price has nothing to do with the sound. i had the same problem running an invader 100 through a mesa 2x12 roadster cab. now i am running it through a engl pro 212 cab... fucking rocks the shit out of the amp now. the tone is more refined and crunchy i feel.

plus, i hear the invader 150 has to be played at high volumes in order to scream. i play my master at 4 and my channel volume at 5ish. 2 is not going to get you anything you want.

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Isn't this the amp that Muhhamed from Necrophagist was gigging with? I didn't take note when I saw them live a few years ago, but there tone was on point.

Maybe it's broken?

no, he uses a engl special edition.

')