How Do I Get A Thicker Distortion Sound?

• Thread starter jlagoon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlagoon

Reaction score
Hi fellas:

My setup is stereo and is essentially: Ibanez RG 7 string > TriAxis > VHT2502 > Behringer BG412S. Among these equipment, various pedals and rack units are inserted in the signal path.

So far, I am satisfied with this setup. However, I imagine in my mind that I could get a thicker sound with my current setup. What should I add? I have got a stereo delay with different ms for each channel, and this does make it punchier and bigger.

What would you do to with my setup to get a thicker distortion sound? For example of how my setup sounds, you can check out my band's latest recording: MySpace.com - Decima - New York, New York - Rock / Metal - www.myspace.com/decimaband

Nevertheless, I have a crazy thought of getting either a dual rectifier with another 4x12 or a mesa recto recording preamp or another TriAxis with a switcher, so I can blend two different modes into one output.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
I've heard those behringer cabs are bunk. A big mesa or orange cab would definately give you some thump, especially if theres crappy speakers in the behringer.

Prada3353

Banned
Reaction score
or an avatar or vader cab, or you could get a bloody murder rack unit to push the amp Bodenhamer Electronics its under the special pedals or something like that, theyre supposed to make your rig sound very devilish and are highly praised by their owners

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh MAN dude. You have some really disproportionate gear there bro. You have one of the best preamps and poweramps ever made, yet some seriously detrimental stuff in your signal chain.

Delay pedals and things are not the way to go to get a thicker sound here, you just need better SPEAKERS and PICKUPS man. Seriously I can't stress that enough. Speakers and pickups are two of the most important aspects of a rig IMO, equally as much as the amp itself if not more. I recommend losing the Behringer and picking up a Mesa, VHT, or other high-end cabinet. Then, I'm praying you're not using stock pickups in your RG7321. If so, replace those with DiMarzios (or if you could afford 'em: Bare Knuckles or Lundgrens).

Trust me man. You already have a SICK rig setup there ready to be unleashed, you just need to get rid of the goblins of bad tone who are sabatoging it. Don't even think about delay pedals or more amps before addressing these CRUCIAL basics.

:2c:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Zim speaks the truth, your cab is killing you. I'd recommend an Orange cab or a Vader, being the only guitarist in your band I'd say you need the really full, responsive sound those cabs will give you.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Agreed. Better pups & speaker cabs go a long way.

I loaded my two 2x12 Mesa Recto cabs w/ Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. My cabs are fucking straight up DEADLY now.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Listen to Zim!

I always reply to the "t0nezzzzz R N t3h f1ng3rzzz" threads with "bullshit, pickups and speakers make more difference than anything".

Your pickups decide how your preamp is going to respond to everything you do with that pick and the speakers do all the talking for everything.

Changing cab/speakers is the single most drastic thing you can do to improve your tone. It makes more difference than your amp and guitar believe it or not.

jlagoon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

No, I am not using stock pickups on the RG. I use Blaze Custom and Air Norton 7. The delay is quite good, it's Korg SDD2200.

mmm, so would getting a different cabinet or/and? speakers would really change my sound a lot? The only cabinet that I have ever compared my Behringer cabinet is an Orange 4x10, I think, which has V30 speakers in it. It does have a better bass response, but the mid and highs are not as defined.

I have never tried swapping speakers either.

Should I swap speakers or get a proper cabinet for 7 string ideally?

Prada3353

Banned
Reaction score
well, the wood makes a difference too, so i'd get a better cab, Avatar's give you the option of any combination of several different celestion speakers, most common for a metal player being the gt75's and V30's in an X shape pattern, or the Vader cabs are very popular as well, and have eminence custom made legends in them, and the cabs are very sturdy, its not tolex on them, something stronger, not sure what it is though, but i don't think they are stereo

if you were to replace your speaker you could get some Swamp Thangs, which don't break up, so they stay very defined and handle bass frequencies very well, and they don't have the harsh mids that the V30's have, very good speakers

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Avatar will also do Eminence in some of their cabs for a slight up-charge.

[action=Toshiro]is a Swamp Thang fanboy.[/action]

starsnuffer

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of people are willing to throw this guys money around.

While it is true that Behringer cabs are probably the worst you can buy, usually when I hear people complaining of a thin sound, they're running their gain way too high and their mids way too low.

Back the gain down to about 60% on the triaxis, make sure the mids aren't under 70% or so, and see what that does for you.

-W

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
with the rig you have, i can imagine that the speakers in that cab could be the only thing holding you back from having godly tone. if you have the money for a new cab i would get either a Vader cab or a CL80 loaded Avatar Contemporary 412 cab. but if that isnt an option for you right now, then i would at least replace the speakers in that cab. for about $45 a piece, you can get some Warehouse Guitar Speakers British Leads(CL80 copies) or for $84 a piece some Eminence Swamp Thangs, which are really good for low tuning and thick tone

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an EQ in the loop? That might a really cheap solution. Imho, it helps a lot to shape your sound and give it more "thump" if needed. But better yet : like others have said. Roll the gain down, get a better cab.

:2c:

jlagoon

Reaction score
Thanks, men

My main distortion setting is the following:
Lead 2 Red
Gain 7.5
Treble 7
Mid 8
Bass 3.5
Lead Drive 7
Presence 5.5
Dynamic Voice 3.5

I think, this setting is pretty moderate for a balanced sound.

I tried a parametric EQ, after the TriAxis in the past. Although I did get the sound what I want, it got rid of the raw tone for live usage.

I don't need more thump. I am imagining of a clearer sound that is thicker; like a clearer "grunt," in power chords and more "weight" in bass single note work, if that makes sense at all. And a tighter response as well.

The sound that I am trying to reach is Petrucci's sound in Rock Discipline.

On the cabinet note, I found a guy selling a mint Mesa 4x12 for $450. Is this usually loaded with C90 or V30 by default?

Thanks!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mesa 4x12 for $450 is a fantastic deal, jump on that! That will go a long way to rectifier your issues. Absolutely crucial that you have a good quality cab/speakers. I've plugged in $3500 heads into shitty cabs and low and behold, it sounded like a $200 amp. Speakers are everything bro :)

Usually newer Mesa cabs are loaded with V30s. I personally like C90s better, but V30s are still good and miles ahead of what you're using now. You can always switch the speakers later, but that's a great start for now - and for $450 that's a KILLER value.

')