How do i tune my new 7string with locking nuts and a floating trem?

MPmike18

Reaction score
K, so the other day i received my first 7 string. it was an Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Black Flame model. After hours of searching online (youtube, google, etc...) i was sooooo frustrated with not being able to find anything that would show me how to set my guitar up proper. So then i thought of this place, you guys seem to know your shit about 7strings so a but of help on this topic would be very much appreciated! I haven't been able to play my new guitar yet and I've had it for 3 days :( . I may consider bringing it to a guitar tech.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
no worries....take your time, rehearsal is the key really, think about what you do.

if you keep it cool then it is all good..setting up an axe with trem is a long and laborious apprenticeship, so take it easy!!!

EDIT : all my axes are trem'd up and i fucking hate changing strings!!!! :rofl:

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Trems piss me off so much that I've taken to blocking everything I own that isn't fixed bridge. There's multiple methods of blocking, most reversible :lol: just something to keep in mind. :yesway:

MPmike18

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is it normal to be going back and forth between the trem and tuning pegs like a hundred times before it's finally in tune? It took me nearly 1.2 hours to get it perfect the first time which was after i broke the small e string...so then when i replaced the string this morning i find myself having to do it all again...it's quite laborious lol.

Fantomas

blah
Reaction score
The guy in the video should be shot for bumping his guitar every 2 minutes.

But seriously, when you do this, put a folded towel on a flat surface (like a table) so that the body rests on the towel and get a pillow to support the neck/head.
This will prevent bumping and needless scratching. Also, setting up a guitar while holding it in your lap is just silly and awkward and will frustrate you ( it does with me :) )

Put it on a table and take it easy.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is it normal to be going back and forth between the trem and tuning pegs like a hundred times before it's finally in tune? It took me nearly 1.2 hours to get it perfect the first time which was after i broke the small e string...so then when i replaced the string this morning i find myself having to do it all again...it's quite laborious lol.

It's not really necessary, and what you probably did was gradually escalate the tension between the pegs and springs and popped the string. Use this guide written by our very own Max, it really helped me:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2143107-post2.html

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
It is not very hard it just takes patience to learn how to do. Following Max's instructions in the post above mine is really all you have to do. The part that I sometimes lose patience with is if you change string gauges and your trem is not at the right angle because of loss or addition of tension and you have to loosen or tighten the springs while periodically tuning. I tend to over do it. Like I said patience is your best friend, just remember it can always be set correctly if you take your time.

Also, once you get it down there is nothing like a properly set up floyd for tuning stability and eventually, ease of use. I was very anti floating trem before I got my Loomis and now I will never go back.