How do some bands get that extra gutteral distorted sound - like an extra push...

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows what processing or effect or whatever some bands or their mixing engineers are using to get that extra low growl used in some parts of songs. I'm not talking downtuning so don't take me as some noob - I downtune to A standard. Korn has done it, Slipknot, etc. I don't know if they're just kicking in a boost, is it bass distortion, using an Octave pedal, or what? but I'm curious to know. Below is a Youtube vid of Slipknot's Sic. The sound I am talking about kicks in at 2:19 in the song. Several of their songs do this on their first album.

And pleeease try to not comment unless you actually know. I don't want to hear, "You need a Mesa". I have a Mesa and oversized cab, a 7-string tuned down to A with heavy strings, and my tone never sounds like that. Of course, I wouldn't always want it to sound like that but I do like that extra push sound for certain song parts and have always wondered just what they do to get that. Thanks.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but it sounds like a really aggressive distorted bass tone to me.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
distorted bass and more guitar tracks. Like say if a song was double tracked they'll go quad tracked for that extra effect.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about but I've noticed that some bands have such a crazy good low tone that it makes it sound like they're tuning lower than they actually are, like this song where the lowest note is G# but it almost sounds lower for some reason:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about but I've noticed that some bands have such a crazy good low tone that it makes it sound like they're tuning lower than they actually are,

This is definitely what I am describing, but that video you posted doesn't really show exactly what I am referring to.

I'd been thinking it's probably a distorted bass tone, but for some reason it also sounds like the guitar tone is different so I wasn't sure if it's that alone. I even considered the possibility, however unlikely, that maybe they switch to the neck pickup. I dunno, I'd still like to hear from anyone that has any info to add on this. Thanks for all the replies so far guys! :metal:

Rev.

HoKrll

Reaction score
Have you done any home recording?
If not, you will find that adding bass, and different levels of bass, will affect how the guitar tone comes through.
My buddy came over to record with me, said he didn't like the tone we were jamming with, too thin. But he liked what he heard on a track I recorded with a bass guitar and drums.
It was the same tone!
Kick drum helps a lot too.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
A bass guitar in the recording does SOOOO much for the guitar tone. I always record guitars first, which i think sound OK. When i record a bass track behind it, the guitars sound much better.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
look into sub drops. Some people consider them a cheat, but if you are struggling for that umpf then it would be worth a shot.

---edit---
The riff itself in sick has changed. it is less palm muted and each note is held longer.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, I said I've been playing for 21 years. I'm not that stupid. I do record, been recording for about the same length of time I've been playing. I also mix and master. I own a 5 string bass and record bass parts on my tracks. Just a bass on it's own doesn't make that sound and if those of you saying "bass" would listen to the vid I posted and how that tone goes over the edge at 2:19 you'd see what I am referring too.

I'm thinking bass distortion is bringing in the extra push a lot, but I think something else might still be going on with the guitars as well. Even the power chords at 2:00 aren't as deep/aggressive/heavy as the single notes played at 2:19.

Rev.

8last

Reaction score
The drums drop out a lot mix wise compared to the part right before which gives an audio illusion that the guitars are extra brutal. The drums go from really busy and spastic to really simple and brutal and that leaves a pocket and mix wise you have more room to make the guitars duck the drums. The guitar always sounds like muddy paper when joey is going apeshit on the drums.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
The drums drop out a lot mix wise compared to the part right before which gives an audio illusion that the guitars are extra brutal.

No, no, no, no, no, NO!!! That is NOT what is happening.

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I gave a listen to another track of theirs where they kick in this sound and I can definitely hear bass distortion, so that's what I am now thinking is giving that sound. You can here it in this vid at 1:45:

Rev.

bhakan

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more bass distortion makes sense. If you run the bass through a similar distorted sound to the guitars, it would definitely make the guitars "sound like they are tuned lower than they are" because the root of the distorted tone becomes an octave lower. I would think mixing in a bass run through a high gain guitar tone similar to your main guitar tone would do the trick.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
OK, I gave a listen to another track of theirs where they kick in this sound and I can definitely hear bass distortion, so that's what I am now thinking is giving that sound. You can here it in this vid at 1:45:

Rev.

It's definitely the bass like everyone has said. As you can hear the raw guitar tone in the intro, doesn't have that much bass in it but once you add the actual bass guitar, it sounds huge.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
It's definitely the bass like everyone has said. As you can hear the raw guitar tone in the intro, doesn't have that much bass in it but once you add the actual bass guitar, it sounds huge.

Dude, it's bass distortion. The bass is playing along with the whole track and it's never as huge as when they play certain parts that take it to the proverbial "11".

So it's not bass by and of itself. I think at this point we've come to the conclusion it's most certaily bass overdrive/distortion that is being kicked on for these parts.

Thanks for all the help narrowing this down guys. I did try distortion on my bass to try and see if it would produce a similar sound and it didn't but that was guitar oriented distortion, not a specifically tailored bass distortion like the Boss ODB-3 pedal. Must try a dedicated bass distortion now :)

Rev.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Is it possible that they're using some sort of "pad" sound thats EQ'd down below the bass? I've heard of that contributing the heaviness/hugeness of a lot of popular songs. Deftones do that shit all over Diamond Eyes and it works. lol

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I guess it could be that bass is playing in 5ths with the guitar instead of octave below, so when you have for example B standard, and play the riff on bass on E string instead on B, it'll sound like the riff is in drop E, actually. Plus the distortion, of course, so it blends together for heavy-as-fuck Mortician style riff.

')