How do you calculate import taxes on guitars?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it's less than what you pay when importing from the EU, so be thankful! :frantic:

This is our bane:
- All packages ouside the EU have to pay. No exceptions regardless of value
- Tariff (2.5 - 3.5% for musical instruments I believe)
- VAT (18 - 27% depending on country)

As an exampe I just paid 185€ in taxes for an 800€ order. :rant2:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Belgium has been rather consistent sadly. 21% + processing fee; So on my latest Suhr this was a disgusting +1000 EUR fee.

And it was still cheaper than buying it locally.

neurosis

Reaction score
I did order an Edwards E-Scythe from Japan to Canada in 2021, and have ordered a couple other valuable items from there. It's pretty hit or miss whether I get charged customs. You can bet there is always some sort of relatively low brokerage/handling fee on top of customs and shipping (and taxes if you pay them upon the item entering the country) that will depend on which courier was used to ship the item.
That tracks with what others have covered on the forum. It seems like it's usually ok and worth it but on the off chance you can get charged more. Coincidentally Edwards guitars are what I was looking into as well. Alexi models in particular after I regretted selling my Blackie.

neurosis

Reaction score
I
Belgium has been rather consistent sadly. 21% + processing fee; So on my latest Suhr this was a disgusting +1000 EUR fee.

And it was still cheaper than buying it locally.
don't know about Belgium but buying any boutique or boutique adjacent guitar from a store in Spain was obscene. I always made better deals finding sellers in the UK (before Brexit) and Germany or forums. What's cool about Spain is that it is not large and people are willing to do partial trades so you could drive anywhere and make a deal. Not sure if that has changed. I hear from friends that the second market is subject to taxes now, too.

')