How do you get this sound?

• Thread starter zach7000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zach7000

Reaction score
That like pick scrap sound that you hear around the first 14-15 seconds..how can you achieve that sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that is a scream/growl. not something that youd make with an instrument lol. but i'm sure you could do it.

Marcus

I kill threads
Reaction score
This has been bugging the shit out me for ages, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't know :lol:

I first heard it here (first appears at 19 seconds)

Then again here (1:17)

I'd imagine it's not exactly a skillful technique but it just annoys me that I can't figure it out haha

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
This has been bugging the shit out me for ages, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't know :lol:

I'd imagine it's not exactly a skillful technique but it just annoys me that I can't figure it out haha

I can't hear that sound in either of your videos? :scratch:

The second video simply sounds like hitting the open note then diving/bending the neck (They look like their doing this in the video)

The first is the same thing, just note, then dive.

---------

Whereas the OPs video basically sounds like his just muting the strings very low (Around 1/2nd fret) and lightly (so they still produce slight harmonics) and scraping up in high gain.

-X---------
---X-------
-----X-----
-------X---
V V V V

Like that.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Fiction has it, although most of the times I have seen it done it's over the third or fifth fret. Hold Your figer over (insert fret here) and pull Your pick in an upwards motions across the strings on it's side!

slapnutz

Reaction score
You can also do it with an open note by bending (pushing down) on the string BEFORE the first fret. i.e. between the tuning machine head and neck. (obvious wont work on double locking trems)

You bend the string before hitting the note then releasing.. gives it a slight dive bomb fell.

.. then again i couldnt really hear it either. :p

edsped

Reaction score
Sounds like he's maybe just tremolo picking with the pick more perpendicular to the strings so it makes a more scratchy noise and gives some slight harmonics.

groph

Reaction score
I think he's actually pressing the strings into his bridge pickup. Tony Danza does a similar thing. Not positive on this one, but try it. Makes a pretty heinous noise.

He does it at 1:38 ish during the breakdown

EDIT: Although it could be some sort of harmonic scrape. Gojira does the beastliest of those.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
are his thicker strings in the middle? thats pretty cool. very different but very cool. unless im just a blind idiot.

hes like me (has strings strung different) cause i string mine backwards so it's eBGDAEB. none of this is relevant, i was just saying words.

Marcus

I kill threads
Reaction score
Whereas the OPs video basically sounds like his just muting the strings very low (Around 1/2nd fret) and lightly (so they still produce slight harmonics) and scraping up in high gain.

-X---------
---X-------
-----X-----
-------X---
V V V V

Like that.

Oh wait, I think I might be thinking of something different to the OP, that technique you just described I figured out a little while ago, although usually I do it on the 3rd fret like Ninjahat said and I use my thumbnail, it seems to come out nicer than when I use a pick regardless of angle.

The bits I pointed out in the clips do dive like you said but they sound really overly metallic to me in a different way than harmonics sound, like all of a sudden they piled on gain then took it off again once they finished bending the note.

I think he's actually pressing the strings into his bridge pickup. Tony Danza does a similar thing. Not positive on this one, but try it. Makes a pretty heinous noise.

I'd considered it might be that, I've done that by accident a couple of times but I stopped doing it because it was scratching my pickup, I figured the artists making the sound wouldn't want that either so it couldn't have been how it was done. Also in the Structures video I posted it looks like he lifts his picking hand away from the strings completely.

Maybe I'm just hearing things, I could've sworn it was a different kind of noise to the harmonic sweep thing you guys described.

are his thicker strings in the middle?

I always thought they were tuned (low to high) G Bb F Bb Eb G C, so similar to how Periphery are tuned on Racecar but 1 and a half steps lower, the way I'm going today I could be wrong on that too though :lol:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Why don't you guys just ask Josh?
:lol:
"joshdanza" is his username :yesway:

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score

-X---------
---X-------
-----X-----
-------X---
V V V V

Like that.

/thread

Reaction score
Hmm, I know Emmure uses this in a few songs. Someone else posted Gojira, they use it a lot as well. It's actually made by holding your pick at a 90 degree angle from what it normally is, and then scraping it from the highest string to the lowest.

Espaul

Reaction score
Try holding your left hand over the fifth fret (all strings) as you would when making a natural harmonic. Then do a sweep motion with your right hand trying to make a pinched harmonic on every string. You'll get sorta that sound, but might not be what you are looking for.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything near a consistent "sound" in all of these videos at the times mentioned..... One was a scream, next two were divebombs and then you guys all lost me....

')