How do you guys like (or not) the Caparison single coil sized humbucker?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At least on paper, the caparison horus has everything I need on a shred guitar. Looks ergonomic, 2 humbuckers. Great... but a question mark is whether I would like this stock pickup.

2 important questions:
- how does this thing sound? Does it sound like a humbucker or not? I watched some YT videos on it, 90%+ of the players don't even use this pickup on the demos... I wanted something that sounds like a humbucker...
- in case i don't like it, what would be a good replacement?

(I thought about SD hot rails, or dimarzio air norton s... but would like to entertain more options)

thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
The stock pickups are not great. They don't really sound bad, but they never really sound good either. An Air Norton S would be a significant improvement

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
They're my #1 guitars, and I love them to bits. The current stock pickups sound really good in my opinion, and I never felt inclined to swap those out, but these are deeply personal things, and to be fair replacing pickups is really easy and the offer out there covers basically all the ground you could possibly want anyway.

Bg999

Reaction score
I used to own a horus several years ago. The neck pickup was quite good, it balanced well with bridge humbuckers and sounded like a proper neck pickup (despite the position being pushed closer to the bridge).
The tone I would say 70% humbucker 30% single coil. It was more like a very clear sounding neck humbucker than a single coil. It sounded quite cool for shred, it had a bit of the glassy/steely attack of single coil but never thin.

It was much brighter than dimarzio chopper I had in the same guitar, and just a bit lower in output.
What’s keeping me from buying another caparison horus isn’t the neck pickup but rather how the floating trem are sitting 3-4cm above the body, at least on the horuses I saw in person.

Last edited:

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
IMG_1769.jpeg

Currently own this beauty, specced with the stock PUs (PH-bc in bridge and SH-27F in neck). The bridge is great, very clear and articulate and appropriate for anything rock/metal. The neck PU is fine, but very "rounded off" as opposed to some other neck PUs in the sense that it's great for leads and anything in the higher frequency ranges but sounds very dull when playing power chords or anything rhythm.

pahulkster

Reaction score
I really like the pickups in my Horus and especially so for the neck. Mine came with a BK Holy Diver in the bridge that I wasn't feeling at all so luckily it included the stock pickup. The neck pickup though is the best one I have for that classic type of lead sound out of like 15 guitars with all different neck pickups.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The neck pickup is ok, but there are better options. Many DiMarzio rails and Duncan hot rails are an improvement. As for the bridge pickup the Caparison PH-R is a great pickup. I have swapped a couple for BKPs and regretted it afterwards.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The neck pickup is ok, but there are better options. Many DiMarzio rails and Duncan hot rails are an improvement. As for the bridge pickup the Caparison PH-R is a great pickup. I have swapped a couple for BKPs and regretted it afterwards.

The PH-R that came in my TAT is fantastic, but I did swap them for BKP Black Dogs.

The BH-R that came stock in the Horus was hot garbage.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The PH-R that came in my TAT is fantastic, but I did swap them for BKP Black Dogs.

The BH-R that came stock in the Horus was hot garbage.
Oh yes. BH-R sucks. I really like the PH-R. With my current Horus I finally just left it alone. I'm getting better at not modding every damn guitar. 😂 Iirc I bought a PH-R from you back when we were much younger. 😂

jaxadam

Reaction score
Oh yes. BH-R sucks. I really like the PH-R. With my current Horus I finally just left it alone. I'm getting better at not modding every damn guitar. 😂 Iirc I bought a PH-R from you back when we were much younger. 😂

:lol: Say it isn't so...

I can't keep up with anything anymore now that iTrader is gone!

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 132856

Currently own this beauty, specced with the stock PUs (PH-bc in bridge and SH-27F in neck). The bridge is great, very clear and articulate and appropriate for anything rock/metal. The neck PU is fine, but very "rounded off" as opposed to some other neck PUs in the sense that it's great for leads and anything in the higher frequency ranges but sounds very dull when playing power chords or anything rhythm.
no idea about the pickup but damn this a sexy guitar :)

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
View attachment 132856

That thing needs pink and yellow pickups. Love it. I've been wanting a Horus badly and that pic is not helping

feilong29

Reaction score
Hot rails or Air Norton S would be THE appropriate swaps IMO lol. Love Caparison and their stock pups, but those two mentioned are perfect replacements. I could use either but Hot Rails are a smidge ahead for my liking.

')