How do you manage your GAS?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
A weord question I know, but recently I came to the conclusion I want way too many guitars than my budget allows for. How do you manage your GAS and prioritizing which guitars you get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
use what you have. if you aren't in a band find people to jam with even if its just an informal weekly jam with no intentions of playing out. i find that i want to buy less stuff when i am out playing music with other people. i find i want to buy stuff when i am on the internet more than i should be.

Stiman

Reaction score
I agree with sleewell.

I would add that you might want to have a longer outlook on these things. Depending on your income, you could decide to buy a new guitar every X number of years. This give you the peace of mind that you will eventually get all the guitars you want.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
use what you have. if you aren't in a band find people to jam with even if its just an informal weekly jam with no intentions of playing out. i find that i want to buy less stuff when i am out playing music with other people. i find i want to buy stuff when i am on the internet more than i should be.

Both of these.

I dont spend money i dont have on gear. I sell gear i dont want to keep to buy new gear. Boredom, social media and guitar forums spur the cycle.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I buy what I want / need (within reason) when I have disposable income. Otherwise, I buy nothing.

As @sleewell said above: if I keep busy I buy less stuff, or I buy stuff I really need for what I'm doing.

laxu

Reaction score
Take a step back and consider if you want a new guitar because it adds something to what you already have or if you want it just because it looks cool, sounded good on a demo video etc. Same for any other gear. If you still feel like buying it a couple of weeks or maybe even months later, then do it.

I've got too many guitars (10 electrics, an acoustic and bass) as is so I've decided to not buy any more.

For amps and effects it's a constant battle of "how can I make the most of my setup" and that ended up in an expensive, hard to manage dual amp rig with a stereo capable pedalboard. I've now sold half of the rig and part of the pedalboard. Mostly just use my Axe-Fx 3 nowadays as it can do all that and more without buying anything extra.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I custom spec'd a Kiesel after waiting 14 years to do so, essentially my 'dream' guitar. There is nothing else I could ever want now.

Stiman

Reaction score
Yeah, no matter how perfectly spec’d a single guitar is, I don’t think it would satisfy most people. Not to mention, tastes change over time.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
This is a really easy answer for me. I’m left handed and all the GAS I have are for right handed models.

I would suggest ditching the right handed way and coming over to the dark side! Your GAS will be forever cured.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
when you're feeling acquisitive, learn a new technique or style or something
Great advice, but GAS is also demand for instant satisfaction. I can find a model i like, research it, find a used one and buy it before I can master a technique. If I spent more time practicing instead of being on forums or looking up gear, I’d definitely be better. But it comes down to do I want to be productive or distract myself?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
While Marie Kondo isn't trending much these days and her show was a bit whacko, I do find it pretty true in terms of guitars. I have a couple of guitars that just don't "spark joy", that at some level I can't get excited about. Maybe 1 in every 3 guitars I buy winds up doing it for me long-term. At that ratio, if you're responsible about getting rid of the things that aren't truly on that highest level of enjoyment for you, then I feel like the problem should solve itself. If you can have 10, 20, 30, etc guitars that are just 100% equivalently amazing to you, and thus has let your GAS spiral out of control, that still sounds awesome. That's not been my experience though.

Ross82

Reaction score
GAS will never go away and you're lying to yourself if you say it will. Disposable income is the obvious obstacle and as such my best advice ASSUMING YOU CAN COMFORTABLY AFFORD IT (never put gear above personal or family necessities) is to get the gear you're GASing for and thoroughly critique it and determine if it satisfies your want. If not, move it along. More often than not, new gear will not scratch your itch and the GAS will pass on to the next thing.

The used market is your friend (been rough for the last few years but is starting to level) just dont over-pay so you can flip if it doesn't make the cut. Make sure you watch items closely if you're interested, you'll keep track if the price drops to a good point and if it sells, you'll get a better idea of the realistic market value when looking at others. I have a consistent rotation of gear and only keep hold of the stuff that really, really impresses me. In the last 18 months or so I've bought 9 guitars but only kept 2 of them, the others I moved on for more than I bought them for or at minimum broke even. You just have to be disciplined and not buy beyond your means OR be prepared to let things go if finances get desperate.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
GAS does go away - be too busy playing, stay off forums.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
GAS does go away - be too busy playing, stay off forums.

3Usgt2gbbfgbfgd.gif

')