How do you pick your wood

• Thread starter John54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
was wondering how do you guys pick a quality peice of wood. i understand for a top you want what looks the best but for the core woods how do you know if its a good tone? do you look in the grain or weigh the peice or is it more like the lottery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

supercolio

Super-spy
Reaction score
It should sound good when knocking it. It should be dense and dry, and with little to no cracks. That's about it.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Email a luthier, a lot of them are far more helpful then you'd ever expect...

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Biggest thing i go for is for it to be defect free - preferably no bug holes or rot. Warped or twisted boards are usually off the menu as well.

Other than that, if it looks good.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
There have been a couple of threads about this lately. Is there a particular reason you ask, OP? Not picking on you, it just seems like there have been a lot of threads lately that come across like: "I have a ton of GAS from browsing this site and I'm now overthinking my selection in guitars." Again, not trying to pick on you specifically, I'm just curious.

explosivo

Reaction score
Biggest thing i go for is for it to be defect free - preferably no bug holes or rot. Warped or twisted boards are usually off the menu as well.

Other than that, if it looks good.
This.

Checking, warping, rot, bug holes, and depending on if it's for the neck: straight grain and as defect free/straight as possible (wavy grain patterns are cool for body blanks, but make me nervous for neck timbers).

Of course none of those rules apply when you're talking about burl/spalt caps :squint:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
This.

Checking, warping, rot, bug holes, and depending on if it's for the neck: straight grain and as defect free/straight as possible (wavy grain patterns are cool for body blanks, but make me nervous for neck timbers).

Of course none of those rules apply when you're talking about burl/spalt caps :squint:

I just flat out refuse to use spalted or burled stuff anymore. Too much of a pain in the ass.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Do you have to fill spalts just like burls? Probably a silly question, I've just never seen a raw piece of it before or pictures of someone working with it.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to fill spalts just like burls? Probably a silly question, I've just never seen a raw piece of it before or pictures of someone working with it.

A lot of the spalted stuff is so soft you can pick it apart with your fingers. Almost spongy like consistency....a LOT of CA glue and epoxy was my friend on the two that I worked with, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I ever do it again.

djohns74

Reaction score
A lot of the spalted stuff is so soft you can pick it apart with your fingers. Almost spongy like consistency....a LOT of CA glue and epoxy was my friend on the two that I worked with, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I ever do it again.
Boy, this sure makes me happy that a certain someone who may or may not have posted in this thread already ultimately decided against a spalted top for a recent build. :rofl:

')