How Do YOU Record MIDI Drums?

HoKrll

Reaction score
step sequencer for correct and easy timing. Convert to piano roll for manual moving of hits to humanize

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I also use Guitar Pro. I don't think it's ideal, but I find Piano Roll absolutely insufferable.

I should probably force myself to learn Piano Roll though.

I also just bought an Axiom AIR midi controller so I may try that but I haven't written anything new since I bought it to try it on yet.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I use a combination of the pads on my controller and the piano roll.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
+1 for Piano Roll.

When I first started doing it I was sure there was a better/easier way and I was taking the long and laborious method...turns out it's the most preferred choice.

Being a drummer primarily I tried plugging it through my Roland TD-12 but I found it to be problematic as the drums themselves would vibrate into others along the metal rack and you'd end up with far too much bleeding and other drums being triggered at the same time.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. How does your process work?

Usually I'll try to play different beats over guitars with simple cymbals (1/4 or 1/8 notes) then quantize and then replay them in time on the pads. If that fails I'll just tap it out then ease the notes closer to fitting a grid in piano roll.

callankirk

Reaction score
I guess that I can't really comment, because I use V Drums and not a keyboard/trigger pad, but just Logic Pro 9 straight onto Piano Roll. Couldn't be any easier.

necronile

Reaction score
Mouse+Piano roll.
tedious process but still the best way imo if you do not own an electronic drum set that triggers MIDI

Daybreak

Reaction score
Piano roll for me. Even if I got a keyboard I probably wouldn't be able to play any of the drum parts I write.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I usually try to find something close to what I'm looking for in the loops of Superior Drummer. I'll then edit it to fit the guitars the way I want. If none of the loops work, I'll just make them in the piano roll.

I use Fruity Loops for drums. Just so comfortable with it and I don't want to/have time to learn anything else.

')