How do you use compression with djent?

• Thread starter Harray 18
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes... it compresses. If you need it so little that you don't notice the changes, you could get the same result with a compressor; if you can't fix it with a compressor a limiter will be a total mess. I don't mean to be insulting, but using a limiter just doesn't make sense when you can get better, more natural-sounding results out of a compressor. Anywhere a limiter goes it's just flattening peaks, instead of tapering them off like a compressor, and it takes very little limiter use anywhere in a chain to make it noticeable. Using a limiter just winds up being the easy way out, and even untrained ears are able to tell when someone has taken that easy way out to any moderate extent because the fatiguing and pumpy sound just gets to them.

Sorry, limiters just remind me of the kind of people who cook two pounds of pasta in barely enough water to cover it, drink Bud Light, and scoop every ounce of mid out of their tone because they don't know better and don't care to learn anything new.

Jeff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

funknotik

Reaction score
personally i dont like compression on distorted guitars, unless its a lead guitar i guess, but never on rhythms because it messes with the attack, its really just eq work that makes the tone djenty.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread. But I'm curious do you really only use eq on your distorted rhythm tracks? There's really no compression whatsoever after its recorded into the daw? P2 is amazing btw thanx n cheers! :hbang:

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread. But I'm curious do you really only use eq on your distorted rhythm tracks? There's really no compression whatsoever after its recorded into the daw? P2 is amazing btw thanx n cheers! :hbang:

Well that's what he said, yeah... why would there be compression ? Dist guitars are naturally compressed.

funknotik

Reaction score
Well that's what he said, yeah... why would there be compression ? Dist guitars are naturally compressed.

Lol, troo. I guess it was inconceivable to me after having seen so many people abuse the shit out of compressors on guitar tracks. In fact most people I know who are into guitar based production or otherwise abuse compressors on everything. I always felt it left things sounding squished and lifeless... this thread is my vindication. HA! :yesway: Proof you should trust your ears. I'm going to tell those SAE graduates to kiss my ass.

')