How do you use your 7th string?

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
One really cool aspect of having seven strings that I've been playing with recently is the potential for moving three-string melodic figures (like 313s, 213s, etc.) across three octave.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Really for me it's just an extended version of how I use a 6 string guitar. Bigger chords, lower note runs, bassy accents to arpeggios.

I don't really "showcase" the 7th string, but I do use it for extra lowness :shrug:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been playing 7s so long I don't think about the "7th" string. But really for me it depends on the tuning and the guitar. None of my guitars is tuned to standard so the function of the "7th" string can vary drastically from low riffage and larger chord voicings to all-out bass guitar range.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
one thing i enjoy alot with a 7 is that i like to naturally write riffs/melodies with big leaps in them, it often provides more interresting melodies than regular straight forward melodies that climbs up or down a couple of notes or so at a time. now, if im fingerjumping around, positioned say.. around 6-10th fret, i can still manage to get some pretty low bass tones thanks to having a 7th string, wich is a great addition to my style of play.

even tho the tones i reach would be somewhere around regular E, on a 6string i have no tone variation there at all (except hitting an open E wich is pretty limiting). so in my style of playing i use the 7th string on fret 5-12 most of the time.

*oompa immediately accepts that he did not make any sense at all* :lol:

D

Desecrated

one thing i enjoy alot with a 7 is that i like to naturally write riffs/melodies with big leaps in them, it often provides more interresting melodies than regular straight forward melodies that climbs up or down a couple of notes or so at a time. now, if im fingerjumping around, positioned say.. around 6-10th fret, i can still manage to get some pretty low bass tones thanks to having a 7th string, wich is a great addition to my style of play.

even tho the tones i reach would be somewhere around regular E, on a 6string i have no tone variation there at all (except hitting an open E wich is pretty limiting). so in my style of playing i use the 7th string on fret 5-12 most of the time.

*oompa immediately accepts that he did not make any sense at all* :lol:

I have to agree with that 100%
I also find myself writing more open riff, stuff that starts on the low C but ends up at the G# string.
Before I got the 7string I wrote a lot of 1-string riffs. but now it fells like I'm using at least 4 strings for all the riffs and if something good happens I use 5-6 strings and with a little bridge before the chorus I can incorporate all the strings.

Ext789

Reaction score
I never use the low B for lead stuff, or clean chord work. Mostly heavy riffage

')