How do your ears fare as a metal musician/ fan?

• Thread starter JazzandMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dores

Reaction score
I'll just nag some more about toilet paper. It cuts WAY less highs and mids than hearos or "construction site" earplugs. There are of course different types of paper out there, but just simply try some and experiment with the amount of paper you use. I personally use one half sheet of paper in each ear, and it works like a charm. Still too loud? Use more. Want less dampening? Use less.

I remember going to an Arch Enemy show a couple of years ago, and I got totally depressed because all I could hear was drums, vocals and some bass. Got rid of my hearos and finally gave toilet paper a go. BAM! Intantly better sound, and I could hear the guitars 10x better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I won't even stay inside the venue now a days if I do not have earplugs in, for my first 2 years in a band, I did not wear anything, and seeing how Paul Gilbert lost a lot of his hearing, it made me protect mine all the time.

I use neon pink ones, they cut out a lot of the harsh sound and I drop one, I can find it really quick :B

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I hardly ever go to shows, and at home I like music/my own guitar playing loud but not deafening.

My hearing is fine.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I'll just nag some more about toilet paper. It cuts WAY less highs and mids than hearos or "construction site" earplugs. There are of course different types of paper out there, but just simply try some and experiment with the amount of paper you use. I personally use one half sheet of paper in each ear, and it works like a charm. Still too loud? Use more. Want less dampening? Use less.

I remember going to an Arch Enemy show a couple of years ago, and I got totally depressed because all I could hear was drums, vocals and some bass. Got rid of my hearos and finally gave toilet paper a go. BAM! Intantly better sound, and I could hear the guitars 10x better.

They also don't attenuate the sound in the same way. They might sound better, but they are not nearly as effective at protecting your hearing.

Etymotic ER20's. One of my better investments.

These are FAR better than the Hearos I find. More balanced attenuation.

I have a pair of these on my keyring at all times. I wear them in the pit at concerts always. If I'm performing it's either with IEMs or my custom moulded ear plugs. Same when I'm doing sound either FOH or on the monitor desk, but I always have the Etymotics with me just in case I forget the others.

My ears are my livelihood, I need to protect them even for the sake of my enjoyment.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
FYI: The Hearos Hi-Fidelity musicians' earplugs (which I've been using since 2003) are actually repackaged Etymotic ER-20s. Vater also makes some similar plugs with swappable filters for different amounts of reduction. I have a couple pairs of each, as well as the "Rock-n-Roll" Hearos (the black buttplug-looking ones). The RnR ones are ok, but nowhere near as good as the HiFis or the Vaters...definitely better than the cheap foam ones, though!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I have custom molds with ER-15 in them right now. Best investment ever. Seriously! It's not that much money considering you will save your hearing. I also did a hearing test when I got my molds done and found out I'm doing pretty good still at 27! :D

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
FYI: The Hearos Hi-Fidelity musicians' earplugs (which I've been using since 2003) are actually repackaged Etymotic ER-20s.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. Price is about the same between the two, though. It seems that the Hearos Hi-Fi's are the equivalent of the large Etymotics. The Hi-Fi's for small ear canals would appear to be Etymotic's standard size. I've been using the larger size ER20's, but I recently ordered some of the smaller ones because I experience some slight discomfort after prolonged use and want to see if it has something to do with the size of the earplug.

Hands up if you've ever pulled out your earplugs and found a hunk of earwax the size of Rhode Island on them.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I had no idea. Thanks for the info. Price is about the same between the two, though. It seems that the Hearos Hi-Fi's are the equivalent of the large Etymotics. The Hi-Fi's for small ear canals would appear to be Etymotic's standard size. I've been using the larger size ER20's, but I recently ordered some of the smaller ones because I experience some slight discomfort after prolonged use and want to see if it has something to do with the size of the earplug.

Hands up if you've ever pulled out your earplugs and found a hunk of earwax the size of Rhode Island on them.

Puts hand up

Strobe

Reaction score
My ears are in great shape still (and I have to get them tested regularly for work). Band practice is typically in a storage space (relatively small room) - but I always wear earplugs at practice. When playing a show, I wear ear plugs about 2 out of 3 times. Most of the clubs I play are not particularly large, so we do our best to turn things down a bit so as not to make it a painful experience for the audience. As such, it's usually at a level well I feel comfortable playing without earplugs.

When I go to a metal show, I usually wish I had remembered my earplugs on the occasions I forget them. It's usually a lot louder than it needs to be. When I have them, it sounds different - but at least it's comfortable.

wizbit81

Reaction score
I had my wooley hat on at Download last week. Pulled it up to scratch my ear and noticed the sound was so much better.

Note to self: Hats over ears dampen sound.

On another note..custom ER fifteens are GREAT when travelling on planes. No noise, sleeping is easy!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I had my wooley hat on at Download last week. Pulled it up to scratch my ear and noticed the sound was so much better.

Note to self: Hats over ears dampen sound.

On another note..custom ER fifteens are GREAT when travelling on planes. No noise, sleeping is easy!
I wish I had my ER15 when I went to see van halen earlier this year... the crowd was louder than the band :metal:

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score

I thought that was considered part of the feature set.

Ear protection and a complementary canal scraping after every show :lol:

robare99

Reaction score
I see more and more people at shows with earplugs. I wear them if the levels warrant it, I wear them most of the time at shows.

Reaction score
I never wear earplugs to metal shows and I've been to over 50 in small venues. My hearing is good, but my left ear is not as good as my right.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Picked up some Ety's after my right ear didn't stop ringing from Maiden for like.. 5 days. Except for the frequency that has never stopped ringing, since.

Tinnitus: catch it before it gets really bad, folks!

(though I will add that I'm still pretty lucky, as I think I've had some amount of it for a long time, but it's never been very bad.)

Latest posts

')